Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

An article in the Times about Peck's injury and her return to Swan Lake:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/arts/dance/tiler-peck.html

Just read the piece - very insightful and she’s lucky to have a cheerleader like marika to guide her.  Also I think this is the first time she’s directly mentioned the divorce from Robbie Fairchild? I’m sure that was so stressful for her and many times emotional stress leads to physical stress.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

An article in the Times about Peck's injury and her return to Swan Lake:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/arts/dance/tiler-peck.html

Sooner or later, she is going to have to have surgery on her neck.  My husband woke up one morning with the same kind of searing pain.  The rest of the weekend, he didn't really remember what happened because all the ER doctors could do was to give him muscle relaxers/paid meds that didn't really help.  21 years later, he has just had his second surgery.  The first surgery was the same year that his disc blew.  It helped the pain for about 10 years, and then he had to start getting cortisone injections four times a year.  His left arm began to atrophy and his bicep an inch and a half circumference.  After both surgeries, he has not lost ANY mobility in his neck or shoulders.

My point to all of this, is that her neck is only going to continue to get worse with time.  It is not going to heal on it's own.  I would hate for her arms/shoulder to start to atrophy, and the pain become constant and unbearable.  Surgery can be a scary thing, but it's so less invasive than it use to be, and with faster healing times.  I hope she will change her mind and wish her all the best.  She is a wonderful dancer.

Share this post


Link to post

Well, science is not based on single anecdotal cases. There's simply no way one could diagnose Peck's condition with any degree of certainty based on the currently public information alone.

Edited by nanushka

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Well, science is not based on single anecdotal cases. There's simply no way one could diagnose Peck's condition with any degree of certainty based on the currently public information alone.

Yes. I hurt a disc in my lower back (I'm a dancer) and a surgeon told me 25 years ago that I'd be back for surgery. Not yet.

Share this post


Link to post

Hopefully her physical therapist knows what she’s doing and everything will be okay. If it were me I’d be sufficiently scared into getting surgery, but it’s not so I won’t judge.

Share this post


Link to post

I had a similar injury at her age and saw a wonderful PT who said that the results were even among those who had surgery and those who had meds and good PT. I followed the latter route. It's now over 30 years later. I still have full range of motion in my neck. My sister, who chose surgery at the same age for the same problem (inherited), had to get a second surgery because the first one failed, and has been living with severe pain, loss of range of motion, pain meds (I'm not on any), and gets  injections of various kinds every few weeks. She lives from injection to injection. All this is to say that you never know which is the best route, and as a dancer, I'd go the conservative, non-surgical route first. It seems more and more, curiously since the 2008 economic crash, that the AMA is stating that the same results can be had with non-surgical interventions for many conditions (I specifically remember knee issues and blocked arteries) as with the previously de rigeur surgical recommendations. Certainly, non-surgical is the less expensive option. 

Share this post


Link to post

I have treated patients post op after those surgeries. They're grueling...and the recovery part is just long and hard.  Many people are able to live many years avoiding the surgery, but there's a point in which is either surgery or days without not even able to get out of bed.

Her experience addd to the list of those dancers who have dealt with horrible injuries, and still had kept fighting  with all their means to keep doing what they love the most. From the top of my head I remembered the biographies of Villella and his knees, Farrell and her hip and Alonso with her detached retina and blindness. They all were so resilient....

Edited by cubanmiamiboy

Share this post


Link to post

Well, apparently I'm wrong on all counts.  Thanks for setting me straight...

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, nubka said:

Well, apparently I'm wrong on all counts.  Thanks for setting me straight...

You may have been wrong, you may not have been wrong. It's just impossible to know, without seeing those MRIs, talking to those doctors, getting a lot more details about exactly what Peck has experienced, etc. etc. There's a vast range of possibilities within any one named injury (different bodies, different details, different degrees, all sorts of particularities), making it impossible to say with any certainty what will or won't happen to her, what she should or shouldn't do. It can be useful to hear about other individuals' experiences with similar injuries (and I have my own story of multiple herniated discs I could share), but ultimately they are of limited diagnostic value.

Share this post


Link to post

NYCB's official Instagram just posted a photo in the latest story of a rehearsal schedule from today, and "TSCH PAS" with Woodward and Huxley is listed. Could they possibly be inserting Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux into Swan Lake, per the original score? Maybe in place of the Pas de Quatre? Can't imagine why else they would be rehearsing it since it isn't programmed either this season or in spring...

Share this post


Link to post

That’s very interesting. I wonder why it wouldn’t be listed in the casting sheet though?

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

NYCB's official Instagram just posted a photo in the latest story of a rehearsal schedule from today, and "TSCH PAS" with Woodward and Huxley is listed. Could they possibly be inserting Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux into Swan Lake, per the original score? Maybe in place of the Pas de Quatre? Can't imagine why else they would be rehearsing it since it isn't programmed either this season or in spring...

I have to think they're rehearsing for something else. The story, as I understand it, is that the ballerina for the first performances of Swan Lake, at Bolshoi, didn't like Tchaikovsky's score and was substituting music by other composers. Somehow word got back to Tchaikovsky and he wrote the music we know as Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux to appease her, but she didn't like that either. That score was found in a Moscow library in the early 50s. Balanchine bought the rights and choreographed the PdD.  

That Bolshoi version flopped and Tchaikovsky went to his grave thinking it was the fault of his score. Petipa started over for the version that has come down to us and it was a great success.

Excuse the lack of documentation, but I'm away from home at the moment.  Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Share this post


Link to post

The music has still been used in other productions. I don’t see why they wouldn’t use Tshai Pas here in place of the Pas de Quatre. Certainly NYCB isn’t trying to replicate Petipa.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, California said:

I have to think they're rehearsing for something else.

At the moment, there are only two ballets listed for the All Balanchine II program in the 2020 Spring seasonDonizetti Variations and Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2. That's not a full program, so maybe they're looking to add something else to the mix, perhaps something to go with the Haieff, which doesn't appear to have been scheduled for the Spring.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

At the moment, there are only two ballets listed for the All Balanchine II program in the 2020 Spring seasonDonizetti Variations and Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 2. That's not a full program, so maybe they're looking to add something else to the mix, perhaps something to go with the Haieff, which doesn't appear to have been scheduled for the Spring.

That makes a lot of sense but I hope they do do it in Swan Lake, I really like it and think it would make for an interesting Act III. Someone who goes tonight please report!

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Leah said:

The music has still been used in other productions. I don’t see why they wouldn’t use Tshai Pas here in place of the Pas de Quatre. Certainly NYCB isn’t trying to replicate Petipa.

Do you remember a specific company/production that used that music in the full-length Swan Lake? I've seen a lot of Swan Lakes and have never heard that used. But,  I suppose, anything is possible...

 

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, California said:

Do you remember a specific company/production that used that music in the full-length Swan Lake? I've seen a lot of Swan Lakes and have never heard that used. But,  I suppose, anything is possible...

 

Off the top of my head the old Royal Ballet video with Fonteyn and Nureyev- it’s used in the first act I believe.

Edit: Here's a link, it's at 18:25. And it's Wiener Staatsballet, my bad.

 

Edited by Leah

Share this post


Link to post

I can't imagine, going into a 5-performance weekend, that they'd only have one couple rehearsing it today if it were going to be added to the ballet. And it would be a noteworthy enough change to the production that I'd expect some announcement of it (or at the very least a cast listing) to have been made before now. I think it almost certainly must be for something else. But we'll know soon enough.

Share this post


Link to post

Intermezzo.

Act I scene I ought to be the ugliest thing I have ever witnessed, Swan Lake wise. What on earth was PM thinking..?!? This is almost an insult to the Imperial past of this work, and I can't imagine anybody, including Balanchine himself, who would had approved of such monstrosity of a production. Choreography wise is just another try out at a Balanchinesque act, which is very similar to what one can see in John Clifford's choreos for his defunct L.A ballet. They definitely try and try, but the result is just that...a pseudo Balanchine try out. To me the whole "garden" scene could had been done sans corps, as a mere group of abstract variations, because that's what it basically looked like.

And I thought the Soviet jesters were annoying!! This hyperactive guy in that horrendous costume and bathing cap was just the tip of the iceberg. And the nerve to sort of simulate the second male variation from T&V..!!😠

More thoughts to come ...I need to recover.

Edited by cubanmiamiboy

Share this post


Link to post

Here we go again. Butterfly doesn't have more kids with Pinkerton..! Aurora doesn't die..! Odette and Siegfried DO NOT SURVIVE THE BALLET...!!! 😠😠😠😠

Edited by cubanmiamiboy

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

Here we go again. Butterfly doesn't have more kids with Pinkerton..! Aurora doesn't die..! Odette and Siegfried DO NOT SURVIVE THE BALLET...!!! 😠😠😠😠

I agree about the ending, but you were forewarned so....

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

This is almost an insult to the Imperial past of this work, and I can't imagine anybody, including Balanchine himself, who would had approved of such monstrosity of a production.

Almost an insult? No, it's pretty much a full-on repudiation of the work's Imperial roots. It's worse than ugly: it looks like it was done on the cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, California said:

Do you remember a specific company/production that used that music in the full-length Swan Lake? I've seen a lot of Swan Lakes and have never heard that used. But,  I suppose, anything is possible...

 

 

Deleted

Edited by Rosa

Share this post


Link to post
×
×
  • Create New...