cubanmiamiboy

Yellow Face and Bugaku

6 hours ago, Helene said:

Back then, yes.  Cio-cio-san is probably costumed more like a maiko (last apprentice step) than a geisha in many productions to make everything colorful, but she's self-supporting and working hard when we first meet her at 15 or 16: after one month with Pinkerton, she supports a household for three years.  Of course, this is a mash-up by an American (Belasco) who wrote a play and Italians who adapted it for opera.

It's unlikely that a 15 year old Cio-Cio San would already hold the geisha rank, but hey, it's all a story.

4 hours ago, pherank said:

It's unlikely that a 15 year old Cio-Cio San would already hold the geisha rank, but hey, it's all a story.

According to Wikipedia, where the article is less than exhaustive, it depends on when and where.  

John Clifford has been advocating for Bugaku’s return to the repertory:

On 2/9/2020 at 12:59 PM, nanushka said:

John Clifford has been advocating for Bugaku’s return to the repertory

That nothing new for him -- he does that periodically. In fact, if you follow his Instagram account regularly, you start noticing that there's a lot of repetition to it. The same stories and topics appear over and over again.

8 minutes ago, miliosr said:

That nothing new for him -- he does that periodically. In fact, if you follow his Instagram account regularly, you start noticing that there's a lot of repetition to it. The same stories and topics appear over and over again.

Oh yes I know. Just meant to note that he was currently on a Bugaku kick since it was under discussion here.

I'm all for it. I would just prefer that they try a practice clothes version - not that I personally disliked the original costumes, but to minimize the Orientalist aspects of the production and concentrate on the choreography and music. The current NYCB artistic directors seem interested in bringing back many lesser known works, so it could happen...

The daisy bikini always felt to me like something a Star Trek alien might wear.  I wonder if a interplanetary setting reimagining the cast as aliens would work for Bugaku. 

12 minutes ago, lmspear said:

The daisy bikini always felt to me like something a Star Trek alien might wear.  I wonder if a interplanetary setting reimagining the cast as aliens would work for Bugaku. 

Who was it who once compared the Symphony in 3 PDD to an alien mating dance? That ballet was mentioned upthread in contrast with Bugaku.