This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Monday, December 16

dirac

A review of San Francisco Ballet by Ann Murphy for The San Francisco Examiner.

That complexity began with Ricardo Bustamante’s portrait of Herr Drosselmeyer, clockmaker and magician. Bustamante sends out mysterious depth waves soon after he arrives at the Stahlbaum’s house. With dramatic arms, a flamenco-dancer’s posture and stealth timing, Bustamante is Drosselmeyer the arch wizard and Stahlbaum godfather, whose Freudian bond with his goddaughter Clara is the force that ignites a fantastical coming-of-age story. He opens the door for everyone gathered to create and expect the unexpected.

A TV interview with New York City Ballet's first black Marie.

For the first time, the iconic New York City Ballet’s production of “The Nutcracker” stars a black girl as Marie. TODAY’s Sheinelle Jones reports and 11-year-old Charlotte Nebres joins TODAY live to talk about her trailblazing role and demonstrate some moves from the ballet with her co-stars.

Fabrice Calmels is leaving the Joffrey Ballet.

“Leaving was a hard decision given my passion for ballet and my love for the Joffrey and our audience. I am not leaving because of age or health or a desire to retire. Rather, I’m leaving to pursue my next adventure as an artist,” the 38-year-old artist wrote, in part, in the post.

A preview of Oakland Ballet's Nutcracker.

The annual extravaganza includes music by the Oakland Symphony under the direction of Michael Morgan, with members from the Piedmont East Bay Children’s Choir. Joining the Oakland Ballet’s professional dancers will be more than 40 Bay Area dancers ranging in age from 7 to 17. These talented young people take on such fun roles as snowballs, mice, soldiers and various types of candy. Some have been dancing with the ballet for many years and look forward to moving through the various roles as they grow.

Richmond Ballet wraps up its $10 million fundraising drive.

The special moment came from the Dominion Energy Center stage on the Dec. 13 opening night of this year's "The Nutcracker," when Artistic Director Stoner Winslett was presented with a surprise $550,000 check for the Richmond Ballet Endowment raised by 40 female community leaders called the “Rubies” in celebration of Ms. Winslett’s 40th "Nutcracker" production and her 40th anniversary as founding artistic director.

A review of English National Ballet's Nutcracker by Graham Watts for DanceTabs.

It appears especially tired in the second act where the concept of Clara’s dream miniaturises the action within the Spartan setting of a puppet theatre rather than on its usual journey to the glamorous kingdom of the sweets. This minimalist approach undermines the intended pizzazz of the national dances, which appear as incongruous and unadorned interludes performed on a bare stage. I’m also tiring of the strange mechanical Nutcracker doll with its huge feet, appearing more like the robot from Lost in Space. It is especially annoying when the beautiful “little” pas de deux (immediately after the battle with the mice) is rudely interrupted by the “excuse me” midway through, when Drosselmeyer brings his nephew to replace the injured Nutcracker as Clara’s partner.

A TV feature on the Kansas Ballet Academy.

“It’s not instant gratification,” said Director Alexander Smirnov. “You know, it’s every day, day-to-day work.”

Originally from Russia, Smirnov has danced in countries all around the world and has decades of experience as a dancer, instructor and choreographer. Now, he’s using his experience to help young dancers in the community

A review of Alexei Ratmansky's "Giselle" by Alexandra Tomalonis.

It’s not usual to think of lying lovers, betrayal, madness and death as fodder for holiday fare, but Alexei Ratmansky’s reconstruction of “Giselle” has as many surprises pouring out of it as a Christmas Wonderball, so it is the best holiday present imaginable.