Leah

Winter 2020

I know we’re still in early Nutcracker season, but Lovette announced on Instagram that she and Ball are debuting Swan Lake together.

As there are 6 other O/Os in the company and only 11 performances, I assume that one or two dancers will be retiring the role.

Edited by Leah

Good for Lovette... kind of a surprise since she isn't much of a technical virtuoso. I was hoping Phelan or Gerrity would get a shot at O/O but probably won't happen given the number of performances compared to the number of veteran principals. I'm sure Ball will be excellent. Guessing that Gordon and maybe Huxley will get a Siegfried debut too?

Sorry, just saw that Nanushka already posted about Joseph Gordon rehearsing "La Source."  I hope he is performing on Jan. 22.  I'll be there that night from Texas for what looks like an excellent program -- La Source, Allegro Brillante and Firebird.  

Edited by Jacqueline
update

55 minutes ago, JuliaJ said:

Good for Lovette... kind of a surprise since she isn't much of a technical virtuoso. I was hoping Phelan or Gerrity would get a shot at O/O but probably won't happen given the number of performances compared to the number of veteran principals. I'm sure Ball will be excellent. Guessing that Gordon and maybe Huxley will get a Siegfried debut too?

I really can’t see Lovette as Odile at all, but I think she’ll be a lovely Odette. I would love to see Phelan get a shot at the role but I don’t think it will be anytime soon.

16 hours ago, JuliaJ said:

I was hoping Phelan or Gerrity would get a shot at O/O

ditto, as well as Gina Pazcoguin and Lauren King 

4 hours ago, bellawood said:

I was surprised that Lauren's not paired with Joe Gordon for Swan Lake. Very happy for Harrison, though. 

I think Ball is probably the next male dancer that will be promoted to principal if he can do a good job in SL. 

Added: Don't forget this SL is a Martins production, and he will have his say in casting and possibly coaching.  This makes me wonder whether Bouder will be cast again in SL at NYCB.

Edited by abatt

NYCB posted a clip on Twitter in the last couple months of Bouder rehearsing Swan Lake. And she was really great in 2017. But you’re probably right. I wonder about Reichlen as well.

I either saw an ad or got (and deleted) an email with information about how to order tickets for the NYCB Art Series performances, and now I can't find it. I think it said they go on sale at noon on Monday and all seats are $35. Does this ring a bell- does anyone have that? I looked on the company website and it said I need a promo code to buy the tickets, so that wasn't where I saw it. 

On 12/3/2019 at 8:23 PM, Leah said:

I really can’t see Lovette as Odile at all, but I think she’ll be a lovely Odette. I would love to see Phelan get a shot at the role but I don’t think it will be anytime soon.

Phelan has done the Swan Lake pdd at Vail, white swan. 2018 I think. There are pics on her Instagram.

I just noticed that they have added Wheeldon's Klavier to the program in the spring season that also has the New Ratmansky work and Peck's Everywhere we Go.  Some time ago they added Opus 19 the Dreamer to all winter programs that had the new Ratmansky ballet.  I presume that the new Ratmansky ballet is much shorter than the company anticipated when it put together the original schedule.

I'm sure I must have seen Klavier, but I don't remember a thing about it. 

1 hour ago, abatt said:

I'm sure I must have seen Klavier, but I don't remember a thing about it. 

It's the one with the big broken chandelier lying on the stage ... And that's just about all that I remember about it, other than not being overly impressed. 

Posted (edited)

Casting up: https://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/Press/Casting/NYCB-Casting_January-21-26-2020_lobby.pdf

No Korowski - worrisome. LOTS of debuts:

Pereira and Ball and Pollack and Applebaum debut in Danses Concertantes

Gordon, and later on Pereira and Ball, debut in La Source.  Emma Von Enck, Bradley, Hutsell, and Jones each debut as well (I've only seen snippets of the ballet on video, so I have no idea how big of a role this is.) 

Nadon and Danchig-Waring debut in Monumentum/Movements. 

Mearns debuts in Firebird- very surprised she hasn't done this before!

Very happy to see Bradley get a chance at a featured role. And that Nadon is getting more opportunities.

Edited by Leah

Very interesting that Mearns has never done firebird before! I think she will give it her all as usual.   I’ve only ever seen Tess Reichlen in that role who was quite good.  Might get tickets to see Mearns though - noticed she is doing both the matinee and the evening performance on the 25th.  

Erica Pereira seems to be getting a lot of new roles.  In general I find her to be blandly efficient.  

Woodward, who I always thought was on the trajectory to principal, seems to have disappeared, unless I missed something.

Phelan isn’t there either.

Honestly I don’t think Woodward will be made principal anytime soon. If her dancing the last couple of seasons wasn’t enough to convince Stafford he’s either just not going to do it or he’s waiting until she’s had a certain number of years in the company. It’s interesting that Pollack got the Danses debut over Woodward. I think now that she’s firmly back from Broadway and making WSS she’ll be cast a lot and will be Woodward‘a main competition.

I don’t have a huge problem with Pereira - she’s a great technician, she just looks very young which I think throws people off.

Question on "La Source": Does anyone know which sections of the Delibes original Balanchine used for the score? (I'm also looking for this information for Balanchine's Raymonda Variations.)

8 minutes ago, DC Export said:

Question on "La Source": Does anyone know which sections of the Delibes original Balanchine used for the score? (I'm also looking for this information for Balanchine's Raymonda Variations.)

I think this is right, but...

Raymonda Variations opens with the entr'acte from Act I that precedes the Dame Blanche vision scene, then the valse fantastique, adagio and first two variations from that scene; then the first two variations from the pas early in Act II; then a variation from before the Act I vision scene, followed the the pizzicato from that same act; then the second variation from the Act III grand pas; then the fourth variation from the Act II pas; and finally portions of the codas to both the vision scene pas and the Act II pas.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Leah said:

Phelan isn’t there either.

Honestly I don’t think Woodward will be made principal anytime soon. If her dancing the last couple of seasons wasn’t enough to convince Stafford he’s either just not going to do it or he’s waiting until she’s had a certain number of years in the company. It’s interesting that Pollack got the Danses debut over Woodward. I think now that she’s firmly back from Broadway and making WSS she’ll be cast a lot and will be Woodward‘a main competition.

I don’t have a huge problem with Pereira - she’s a great technician, she just looks very young which I think throws people off.

Given the number of new significant roles that Pereira is getting, I think they are testing her out to see if she merits principal status.  Her career stalled under Peter Martins, but the new management team seems to regard her in a more favorable way. 

By the way, Hyltin is not cast at all during week one, even though she has previously done both Dances Concertantes and SVC. Anyone know if she is injured?

Edited by abatt

I have tickets for the Sunday matinee and am looking forward to seeing Nadon/Danchig-Waring. Woodward danced a bunch towards the end of the Nut run (including a throw-on as SPF) so I don't think it's a cause for concern. I was very happy to see Stanley back on the casting sheet! 

I am attending the SAB Ballet Connoisseurship class tonight and Maria is talking about Swan Lake. I will see if she talks about any injury. She couldn't dance SPF during the second half of the run so maybe she's still resting whatever is bothering her. 

I'm feeling pretty blah about the first week of the season, and maybe most of the season, depending on casting. I will go see Mearns' Firebird, and Huxley and Fairchild in Allegro Brillante. I don't think I've seen la Source or Danses Concertantes before, so hopefully I'll enjoy those. It's beyond me why Erica Pereira is getting opportunities when almost every other female soloist is a more interesting, substantive dancer - King, Phelan, Woodward, Gerrity, Pazcoguin, and even Pollack. 

I would put Pereira above Pollack. She does well in soubrette-type roles without being vapid and has a high level of technique. 

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

I'm feeling pretty blah about the first week of the season, and maybe most of the season, depending on casting. I will go see Mearns' Firebird, and Huxley and Fairchild in Allegro Brillante. I don't think I've seen la Source or Danses Concertantes before, so hopefully I'll enjoy those. It's beyond me why Erica Pereira is getting opportunities when almost every other female soloist is a more interesting, substantive dancer - King, Phelan, Woodward, Gerrity, Pazcoguin, and even Pollack. 

I agree about Pereira. She is one of the few NYCB dancers that I've tried to avoid over the years. She has a cheery but bland presentation, and always seems a bit uncoordinated to me. 

I wonder how Pollack's casting is being handled internally, given she's Jon Stafford's wife. I'm sure that's not an easy position to be in.