This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PNB Nutcracker 2019

Casting is up for the first week of Nutcracker:

https://www.pnb.org/nutcracker/

Link to downloadable spreadsheet:

Nutcracker 2019_11_21.xlsx

Giving Tuesday is Tuesday, December 3; this from PNB's website:

Share the magic this holiday season!

Join PNB in making spirits bright this holiday season! $5 of most tickets purchased to George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® on December 26th goes to The Seattle Times Fund For The Needy, raising vital funds for 12 local agencies helping children, seniors, and families.

This applies to both Boxing Day performances, at 12:30pm and 5:30pm.

On the same page is info on PNB's fundraising effort on behalf of Fund for the Needy partnership agencies to provide tickets.  This text from an email I received is more explicit about the Giving Tuesday fundraising efforts:

Spread holiday cheer for Giving Tuesday! 

This holiday season PNB has partnered with The Seattle Times to spread holiday cheer. We are raising funds to provide tickets to George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® for Fund for the Needy organizations like Child Haven, Hopelink, and Treehouse.

For Giving Tuesday, December 3, we’ll be focusing all our fundraising efforts on this special initiative. Any amount you give helps us share the magic of The Nutcracker with families in need. Click donate to help us make spirits bright this holiday season!    

The press release, part 1:

“PNB's production of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker is the perfect blend of masterful choreography, visual splendor, and orchestral triumph. Balanchine’s choreography is considered the gold standard, and Falconer’s whimsical and witty designs feel freshly minted. Everyone has their personal favorite moments: Whether it’s meddlesome mice, floating angels, swirling snowflakes seen through blue-tinted birches, or a gigantic glass star, we’re guessing you’ll leave the theater filled with wonder and joy. You might even dance up the aisles.”

-- PNB Artistic Director Peter Boal

PACIFIC NORTHWEST BALLET PRESENTS

image.png

November 29 – December 28, 2019

Marion Oliver McCaw Hall

321 Mercer Street at Seattle Center

Seattle, WA 98109

SEATTLE, WA – Pacific Northwest Ballet’s sparkling production of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® returns to Seattle Center’s McCaw Hall for 32 performances November 29 through December 28, 2019. Featuring unique-to-Seattle sets and costumes by Ian Falconer (creator of Olivia the Pig), Tchaikovsky’s timeless score performed live by the world famous PNB Orchestra, PNB Company dancers in show-stopping roles, and McCaw Hall’s lobbies decked out with the season’s best photo ops, PNB’s production is a delight for audiences young and old. Tickets to this year’s run of The Nutcracker start at just $27 and may be purchased through the PNB Box Office at 206.441.2424, online at PNB.org, or in person at 301 Mercer St.

Part 2:

(Buyer beware: Be mindful of unauthorized third-party online ticket resellers! When purchasing tickets for PNB’s production of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®, order directly through PNB for peace of mind.)

The show must go on.

Pacific Northwest Ballet is committed to honoring its performance calendar. Performances will not be cancelled for any reason: snow, swine flu, Seattle traffic, et cetera. All ticket sales are final and there are no refunds or exchanges. In the unlikely event that the status of a performance does change, an announcement will be posted on PNB.org.

2019 NUTCRACKER PERFORMANCE SCHEDULE

Day

Date

Times

Friday

Nov. 29

7:30pm

Saturday

Nov. 30

2:00 pm & 7:30 pm

Sunday

Dec. 1

12:30 pm & 5:30 pm

Friday

Dec. 6

7:30 pm

Saturday

Dec. 7

Sunday

Dec. 8

Thursday

Dec. 12

Friday

Dec. 13

7:30pm

Saturday

Dec. 14

Sunday

Dec. 15

Wednesday

Dec. 18

Thursday

Dec. 19

Friday

Dec. 20

Saturday

Dec. 21

Sunday

Dec. 22

Monday

Dec. 23

Tuesday

Dec. 24

12:30 pm

Wednesday

Dec. 25

Ho, ho, ho – No show!

Thursday

Dec. 26

Friday

Dec. 27

Saturday

Dec. 28

Part 3:

Bring a Group to the Show and Save!
From a tidy troop of 10 to a throng of 3,000 of your closest cohorts, The Nutcracker is the perfect way to celebrate the holiday season! Groups save 20% off regular prices, receive personal ticketing assistance, priority seating, and have access to McCaw Hall facilities that may be rented for private parties. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit PNB.org/Group or contact Group Sales Manager Julie Jamieson at 206.441.2416 or JulieJ@PNB.org. Please note that all discounts are not valid on lowest-priced tickets, are taken off the standard ticket price only, and may not be combined with other offers.

Nutcracker Suites at McCaw

Skip the lines and bustle of the lobby at half-time! Treat you and yours to an enchanted intermission experience in the Nutcracker Suite. The Nutcracker Suite takes the stress out of intermission and adds to the memorable wonder of your trip to the ballet, with a private buffet of savory and sweet snacks, plus beverages for both youngsters and adults. Nutcracker Suites are $35 per person (includes applicable tax and service charge); performance tickets sold separately. To purchase, visit PNB.org/NutcrackerSuites.

Box Sweets

Dazzle your guests with a VIP Box Sweet at The Nutcracker: Box Sweets accommodate up to seven guests in the best box seats in the house, and include two parking passes to the Mercer Street Garage, a PNB gift basket, and a pre-set menu including sweet and savory snacks and a variety of beverages delivered to your seats pre-show and at intermission. $2,000 per box, all inclusive. Only two boxes available per performance! Call the PNB Box Office for more info.

Enchanted Lobby Experiences

An extra dose of holiday magic! Lobby activities include Nutcracker dance classes, a craft station for young artistes, photo ops with ballerina Snowflakes, lobby entertainment, and a sweet treat from Brown & Haley for the way home. Free with admission at these performances:

Friday, November 29, 7:30 pm

Saturday, November 30, 2:00 and 7:30 pm

Sunday, December 1, 12:30 pm

Saturday, December 7, 2:00 pm

Sunday, December 8, 12:30 pm

Sunday, December 15, 12:30 pm

See the Ballet…and Play the Instruments

Music Center of the Northwest will host their ever-popular Instrument Petting Zoo at The Nutcracker matinees on December 7, 8, 14 and 15. Stop by and get a feel for the instruments that make Tchaikovsky’s music come to life! Free with admission.

Meet the Dancers!

Say hello to select members of The Nutcracker cast in the lobby after the show! Free with admission, subject to capacity at these performances:

Sunday, December 1, 5:30 pm

Friday, December 13, 7:30 pm

Sunday, December 22, 12:30 pm

Monday, December 23, 2:00 pm

Free Nutcracker Night

All members of the audience will receive their very own 10-inch keepsake Nutcracker to take home, following the evening performances on Thursday, December 12 and Wednesday, December 18.

Live Lobby Music

Who needs Muzak? Audiences will be serenaded by acclaimed high school choirs roaming the lobbies of McCaw Hall before the show and at intermission during the run of The Nutcracker:

Sunday, December 1, 5:30 pm          Holy Names Academy Vocal Ensemble

Friday, December 6, 7:30 pm            Liberty High School Jazz Choir “Phatt Jazzers”

Saturday, December 7, 2:00 pm        Tumwater High School Notables

Sunday, December 8, 5:30 pm          Rogers High School Choir

Friday, December 13, 7:30 pm          Peninsula High School Chamber Choir

Saturday, December 14, 2:00 pm      Kamiak High School MidKnights

Saturday, December 14, 7:30 pm      Washougal High School Choir

Sunday, December 15, 5:30 pm        Ballard High School Vocal Jazz

Thursday, December 19, 7:30 pm     Ingraham High School Choir

Friday, December 20, 7:30 pm          Peninsula High School Chamber Choir

Saturday, December 21, 7:30 pm      Spectrum Choral Academy Ensemble

Sunday, December 22, 12:30 pm      Rainier Youth Choir Consonare

Ugly Holiday Sweater Night

Friday, December 20, 7:30 pm

Oh, the weather outside is frightful, and so is that winter outfit you’ve been holding onto as a guilty pleasure, just waiting for the opportunity to show it off to an appreciative audience. Did you know that December 20 is National Ugly Sweater Day? Celebrate in [questionable] style! Tonight’s the night to shake off the mothballs and don ye now that hideous apparel.

Listen to the Ballet

PNB partners with Classical KING FM 98.1 to bring listeners some of the world’s most popular ballet scores, featuring the world famous Pacific Northwest Ballet Orchestra. Tune in for a broadcast of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® on Sunday, December 23. Exclusively on KING FM, 98.1 fm or online at KING.org/listen.

Fund for the Needy Benefit Performances

Thursday, December 26, 12:30 and 5:30 pm

PNB partners with The Seattle Times’ Fund for the Needy to raise funds for 12 local agencies helping children, seniors, and families. For over 40 years, Seattle Times readers have raised millions of dollars to ensure that non-profits in the Puget Sound area will continue to provide vital programs and services. Learn more at PNB.org/Fund.

TeenTix

PNB is a proud partner of TeenTix, whose members may purchase tickets to the Friday, Dec. 27, 12:30 and 5:30 pm performances of The Nutcracker, on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to availability, day-of-show only, starting 90 minutes before showtime. No “companion tickets” are available for these performances. For more info and membership, visit TeenTix.org.

Casting for Week 3 is up:

Juliet Prine makes her debut as Dewdrop a day earlier at tomorrow's evening performance (Saturday, December 7 at 7:30pm).  In the same performance, Angelica Generosa and Price Suddarth will dance Sugar Plum Fairy and Cavalier in place of Margaret Mullin, who didn't dance Spanish tonight, and Steven Loch.

Link to the downloadable spreadsheet:

Nutcracker 2019_12_07.xlsx

There must be something in the water here, because lately, I've seen the best Coffee performances in many decades, first Angeli Mamon last season or the year before, Calista Ruat last season, and tonight, Nancy Casciano, who was stellar in it.  Which is appropriate, because this is Seattle, after all, home of the caffeinated.

16 hours ago, Helene said:

Nutcracker 2019_12_07.xlsx 60.53 kB · 3 downloads

There must be something in the water here, because lately, I've seen the best Coffee performances in many decades, first Angeli Mamon last season or the year before, Calista Ruat last season, and tonight, Nancy Casciano, who was stellar in it.  Which is appropriate, because this is Seattle, after all, home of the caffeinated.

And I saw Cecelia Illiescu on opening weekend, who did a fantastic job with it as well

Casting is up through the Christmas Eve performance on December 24 at 12:30pm:

Link to the downloadable spreadsheet.  (Warning:  it's wide, with the upcoming three weeks on top and the weeks gone by below.)

Nutcracker 2019_12_10.xlsx

Some changes from this week's performances previously posted:

• Elizabeth Murphy replaces Margaret Mullin as Sugar Plum Fairy, and Cecilia Iliesiu replaces Murphy as Dewdrop on Friday, Dec 13.
  • Angelica Generosa replaces Noelani Pantastico as Sugar Plum Fairy on Saturday, Dec 14 at 7:30pm.
  • Noelani Pantastico replaces Margaret Mullin as Dewdrop on Sunday, Dec 15 at 12:30pm.
  • Angelica Generosa replaces Noelani Pantastico as Sugar Plum Fairy on Sunday, and Yuki Takahashi debuts as Marzipan, replacing Generosa on Dec 15 at 5:30pm/

Some more debuts in Weeks 3-5:

• Christian Poppe dances Cavalier, Mark Cuddihee dances his first Tea, and Calista Ruat dances her first Hot Chocolate on Saturday, Dec 14 at 2pm.
  • Mark Cuddihee dances his first Candy Cane on Sunday, Dec 15 at 12:30pm.
  • Clara Ruf Maldonado dances Sugar Plum Fairy on Wednesday, Dec 18 at 7:30pm. 
  • Genevieve Waldorf dances Dewdrop on Friday, Dec 20 at 7:30pm.
On 12/11/2019 at 1:48 AM, Helene said:

Casting is up through the Christmas Eve performance on December 24 at 12:30pm:

Link to the downloadable spreadsheet.  (Warning:  it's wide, with the upcoming three weeks on top and the weeks gone by below.)

Nutcracker 2019_12_10.xlsxUnavailable

Some changes from this week's performances previously posted:

• Elizabeth Murphy replaces Margaret Mullin as Sugar Plum Fairy, and Cecilia Iliesiu replaces Murphy as Dewdrop on Friday, Dec 13.
  • Angelica Generosa replaces Noelani Pantastico as Sugar Plum Fairy on Saturday, Dec 14 at 7:30pm.
  • Noelani Pantastico replaces Margaret Mullin as Dewdrop on Sunday, Dec 15 at 12:30pm.
  • Angelica Generosa replaces Noelani Pantastico as Sugar Plum Fairy on Sunday, and Yuki Takahashi debuts as Marzipan, replacing Generosa on Dec 15 at 5:30pm/

Some more debuts in Weeks 3-5:

• Christian Poppe dances Cavalier, Mark Cuddihee dances his first Tea, and Calista Ruat dances her first Hot Chocolate on Saturday, Dec 14 at 2pm.
  • Mark Cuddihee dances his first Candy Cane on Sunday, Dec 15 at 12:30pm.
  • Clara Ruf Maldonado dances Sugar Plum Fairy on Wednesday, Dec 18 at 7:30pm. 
  • Genevieve Waldorf dances Dewdrop on Friday, Dec 20 at 7:30pm.

I so wish I could head north and see the show tomorrow - I would love to see AG as SFP!  I hope you are able to attend much!  Happy Holidays! J

I attended the show on 12/7 when AG subbed for MM and it was the most meticulous SPF performance I have ever seen!  She has really stepped it up since the last time I saw her in that role.  So many little details, it was really something special.  Her partner PS, also, something spectacular in his solo.  He ended the turn sequence with four or so pirouettes, with controlled  speed and came to a stop in passe releve.  It was amazing!  I have not seen a PNB danseur do this since Karel Cruz.  More please!

The prior Saturday evening 11/30 Noelani Pantastico was Dewdrop.  I had not seen her in the role since she first returned to PNB.  She is such a unique treasure!  On the top she has all the artistry and maturity of a veteran ballerina but on the bottom she moves like a young dancer.  Her Italian pas de chats are so fast and sharp!  I am so glad she is back and I hope she is able to stay healthy.

Friday night 12/13 I saw Cecilia Iliesiu's Dewdrop for the first time.  I normally think of this role as a smaller, sparkly dancer role so I was interested in seeing her interpretation.  She really made it her own, luxuriating in certain places in the music, it was lovely.  What I really like about CI is that she uses her head very naturally, something that cannot be taught.  I also sense an inner love of dance and happiness that emanates from her.

The same evening I saw Liz Murphy SPF for the first time.  Hers seemed different in that her arms are more soft and delicate than most.  It was a very pretty quality.  LM and Steven Loch looked very natural together, he was originally scheduled to partner Margaret Mullin.  SL's solo was squeaky clean; his menage again alternated the coupe jete with the double saut de basque and his turn sequence included a triple!

One other notable, Sarah Orza as Coffee - I think it was 12/8 evening.  She along with Cecilia Iliesiu, IMO, seem to be the most natural in all of the steps.  I find SO such an amazing dancer - she has such range.  In her Coffee I could also hear a lot of the jingling on her costume - the hips I think (judging from the Elle Macy backstage tour video) and I was sitting a lot farther back than normal.  All her hand clinks were clear, loud and even - some other dancer's are variable.  Also, the ending - I amazed at how flexible she still is!

So there's a few notes for those who cannot attend.  I love Nutcracker season because there are so many shows.  There are so many opportunities to see different dancers in different roles, it's almost like being in NYC for a few weeks.  And the new production is so colorful and bright, it makes the cold, dark weather a bit more bearable.

Post-Christmas performance casting is up:  there are two performances/day on Dec 26-28 at 12:30pm and 5:30pm.

Please note that her have been some casting changes since I posted the 12/10 spreadsheet, and in the traditional leads:

• Elizabeth Murphy dances Sugar Plum Fairy in the Saturday, December 21 evening performance, replacing Margaret Mullin
  • Leta Biasucci dances Dewdrop in the Monday, December 23 evening performance, replacing Mullin.
  • Genevieve Waldorf, who debuts the role tonight (Friday, December 20), dances Dewdrop on the Christmas Eve day matinee (12:30pm), replacing Laura Tisserand.

Here is the link to the downloadable spreadsheet:

Nutcracker 2019_12_19.xlsx

I saw this past Wednesday's performance, and Clara Ruf Maldonado made a brilliant debut as Sugar Plum Fairy, partnered by Kyle Davis.  Especially notable were the elegance and beauty of her arms, upper body, and head, her lovely pointe placement in the solo, and her individual musicality, particularly her judicious use of rubato.  Sarah Ricard Orza was splendid as Coffee, Juliet Prine has a mechanical verisimilitude* that is charming in the role of Harlequin, Benjamin Griffiths hits the sweet spot of loft, bounce, and strength in Candy Cane, and Leta Biasucci was both the center of the flower and the enhancing sparkle as Dewdrop.  When I lived in NYC, Dewdrop was the almost exclusive domain off the tall/tall-looking, leggy dancers, and I'm always delighted to see a short dancer turn it on its head, the way Patricia McBride** used to do in just about everything.

Also, young Adam Abdi's Fritz is that rare combination of mischief and elegance, a boy who could realize his inner, older Prince, not one who came out of the womb as a fully formed one.  I hope to see him dance Nephew in a few years: he has a stage presence you can't buy.  

Edited to Add:  I almost forgot how Joshua Grant opened the Mother Ginger dress the first time a little more slowly to let the first Polichinelle out.  After having seen Lili Verlaine's brilliant version for Burlesque Nutcracker last week, Grant's timing struck me as a bit of theatrical tease in two seconds.

*Yup, that was with the help of spellcheck and Google on my third attempt to spell it.

**In her day, the Poster Girl for making it look easy.

A few video clips from PNB's FB page:

Amanda Morgan -- from Tacoma!, and a talented young choreographer -- in a few seconds of Coffee:

The trailer, which starts with a few seconds of the film that was created to show during the overture.  The red-haired snowflake dancing towards the camera is Madison Taylor; she, Morgan, and Calista Ruat grace the program cover, as Snowflakes: