This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

22 hours ago, nanushka said:

I love how much the man really gets to dance throughout, in addition to partnering.

No kidding -- that's some really wonderful stuff.  There was a long (and sometimes cranky)m thread on Facebook a couple years ago that included Ratmansky, who was opposed to men "dancing like women" in ballet.  I think that everyone involved got the period conventions mixed up with the kinetic possibilities, and tempers became a bit frayed, but right here he's managed several things that are stereotypically female-identified, and it all looks fantastic.  This is both thoroughly classical (there are some moments here that could have been straight from Petipa) and absolutely modern -- what a thrill.

Val Caniparoli made a work for PNB a few years ago, using this score -- I liked it very much, and wish that parts of it could come back, but this is ever so much more so (to quote Robert McCloskey).  Now I really want to see the whole thing!