This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2019

Leah

1 minute ago, nubka said:

I feeling silly asking, but what is TDF?

Theater Development Fund. It's an organization that sells discount tickets. You have to be a teacher or government employee to join.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Theater Development Fund. It's an organization that sells discount tickets. You have to be a teacher or government employee to join.

Perhaps once, but no longer. Here's who's eligible to join now, from the TDF website:

Who is eligible to enroll in TDF's membership program?

Our deeply discounted tickets are only available to select groups. You must belong to one of the following groups to qualify for TDF membership:

Full-time students
Full-time teachers and school faculty
Recent graduates (26 years of age and under)
Full-time union members
Retirees (no longer working and 62 years of age or older)
Individuals on federal disability
Full-time government employees/civil servants
Full-time staff members of not-for-profit organizations
Full-time non-exempt employees (full-time and eligible for overtime pay)
Full-time arts professionals
Members of the armed forces
Freelancers
Full-time clergy

If you do not fit into any of the above categories but feel your circumstances warrant special consideration for joining TDF, please send a short email explaining to POE@tdf.org.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell
2 hours ago, canbelto said:

Thanks for the fast response!  I really had no idea what it stood for.  Is it a fairly substantial discount?

With TDF, you take what offerings they have, that is, the show you want to see may or may not be on TDF. (As I understand it, shows that are selling poorly, or at least below expectations, may make tickets available on TDF.) When you buy a ticket, you have no idea where in the house you will be until you arrive at the theatre and pick up the ticket. It could be anywhere. Tickets for Nut are $40, so that is a great discount in any case, but with other shows I’ve wound up in row B and in the far balconies. Either way, no complaints from me at that price!

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

With TDF, you take what offerings they have, that is, the show you want to see may or may not be on TDF. (As I understand it, shows that are selling poorly, or at least below expectations, may make tickets available on TDF.) When you buy a ticket, you have no idea where in the house you will be until you arrive at the theatre and pick up the ticket. It could be anywhere. Tickets for Nut are $40, so that is a great discount in any case, but with other shows I’ve wound up in row B and in the far balconies. Either way, no complaints from me at that price!

I wish Ballet West had TDF!  We paid a tidy sum for the recent Balanchine evening, but it was worth it.  Also, the Capitol Theater seats 1, 760, so you have to move fast to get a decent seat. 

Perhaps another contributing factor for available tickets to the NYCB Nutcracker is that the production is available at several other be companies, i.e. Miami and PNB, and out-of-towners no longer need to make the pilgrimage to the mother ship if casting is not a priority.

1 hour ago, lmspear said:

Perhaps another contributing factor for available tickets to the NYCB Nutcracker is that the production is available at several other be companies, i.e. Miami and PNB, and out-of-towners no longer need to make the pilgrimage to the mother ship if casting is not a priority.

Balanchine is also at Pennsylvania Ballet which is very close to NYC. 

We get the Willam Christensen Nutcracker at Ballet West.  I've seen it a few times, but we didn't go this year.  Somehow, I'm just able to go on and enjoy my holiday with seeing those dancing chimpanzee/monkeys (my husband and I have never been able to decide if those are chimps or monkeys.)  Ballet West does a fair amount of Balanchine, and I would love to see them dance Balanchine's version, but I don't think that will ever happen.  Willam Christensen founded Ballet West, so they remain faithful to his version.  While I'm grateful to have company like Ballet West only 45 minutes away, I'm not always happy with the ballets they mount.  Lots of Cinderella, Snow White, etc., but I think they are trying to attract parents that will come with their children and their dollars.  We did get a Swan Lake last year, but it's been years since we had any Tudor...audible sigh!

I'm just in from a very enjoyable Nut, and thanks to TDF for the great seat. (Everyone should check out the multiple categories for TDF membership, as listed above by Kathleen O'Connell. I was surprised when I realized that I fell into one of their categories, and it's been great.) Sometimes I don't know why I see a show once and feel unmoved, then see the same show, with largely the same cast in this case, and enjoy it a lot more. I saw Nut early in the run and despite some lovely dancing I felt unmoved, and bored during the party scene. Tonight the party scene (same cast of children as I saw last time) had many moving and tender moments, I enjoyed it very much. My favorite section is the whole violin solo-transformation-battle scene-bed swirling-waltz of the snowflakes section. Excitement, the magic of childhood, and just sheer beauty of music and snowflakes. Tiler Peck is back, and she is BACK. It was GREAT to see her, looking utterly regal and serene, and with thrilling speed, musicality, all totally at her ease. SO GLAD. It was also a real pleasure to see Alexa Maxwell, in the corps of Marzipan. I was so busy smiling her way that I neglected to check out the lead Marzipan, Olivia MacKinnon. Lauren King delivered a sharp Dewdrop, and with Mira Nadon and Unity Phelan as the two lead Flowers, the beauty was almost overwhelming. It was an enthusiastic, raucous audience. On to the winter season. Seems like they have a shorter break than usual before starting up again. I look forward to it!

I too was at the show last night with my daughter, who has never seen Tiler Peck live (but many times on YouTube). Of course she is only eight! I couldn't resist getting tickets for us. I agree with cobweb that this performance just flew by. At this point, those kids are very at ease on the stage. 

When Tiler came out at the beginning of Act II, I got goosebumps. Her incredible stage presence, her speed, her turns, her musicality -- all was intact. In the PDD I was watching particularly for any changes. The only thing that jumped out at me is that she is less flexible in her back -- in those pirouettes where Tyler guides her in a circle he had both hands on her mid-back and she leaned more than arched. However, she has never had a particularly flexible back anyway -- and I can't say this isn't the way he partnered her here before! The crowd went nuts at the end.

Lauren King was really impressive as Dew. So buoyant and playful without any cutsey-poo moments. Her jump looked great. 

In the spring, Olivia MacKinnon did that terribly hard variation in Raymonda Variations where she had to hop on pointe forever -- I was reminded of that tonight watching her in Marzipan. 

A sidenote: we were on the 1st Ring and Wendy, Rebecca Krohn and Glenn Keenan came in to sit behind us before the second act. Jovani Furlan arrived right before the second act curtain went up and sat next to Wendy. I have to think, considering his background that, once Ask and Gonzalo retire, he's on the fast track for promotion -- and maybe ahead of some home-grown dancers. (I know this board loves to speculate about this sort of stuff!) He was really impressive in a back-to-back Dances and Everywhere We Go performance this fall.

Anyway, looking forward to the winter season -- which is beginning awfully soon! 

I attended only 2 Nutcrackers this year, the first of which I bought back in August and ended up seeing Lauren Lovette and Joseph Gordon.  Lovette is not my favorite and I was hoping to see Sterling Hyltin or Sara Mearns as SPF and Daniel Ulbricht as Candy Cane.  I enjoyed the performance and it was nice to see the full view from 2nd ring dead center (usually am on the side).  The dancing was fine but didn't leave me wowed.  Once casting was posted and I saw Tiler Peck was back, I was very tempted to spend the money to see her but didn't.  I was very excited to see her SPF on TDF for last night's performance and got tickets.  It was a magical evening, even though the holiday season has passed.  I was in row C, which offered a very different view than 2nd ring.  I loved seeing everything up close and felt very engaged.  Sometimes, I find myself bored by the party scene and it deters me from buying tickets for more performances.  Last night was different.  Tiler and Tyler were beautiful and exciting to watch.  Even being recently back from injury, Tiler was close to perfection and Tyler an excellent partner.  I really enjoy watching both of them.  Lauren King as Dewdrop was absolutely fantastic and a real highlight of the evening.  She was so radiant, elegant and secure in her dancing.  I don't get to see her often, but can't wait to see more of her.  I enjoyed her Dewdrop more than Unity's back in December.  Daniel Ulbricht shined as usual and truly brings energy and thrill to his performances.  I can't make it to the final Nut today, but from last night's performance, they finished this nonstop season on a high.  Looking forward to winter season!

Another note about last night, I had never before seen Andres Zuniga in a featured role. He was a wonderful soldier, with tremendous energy and presence. And as noted by nycvillager, Daniel Ulbricht was a dynamic, scene-stealing Candy Cane. I've seen him do the role several times, and he never misses the double hoop jumps. 

49 minutes ago, bellawood said:

A sidenote: we were on the 1st Ring and Wendy, Rebecca Krohn and Glenn Keenan came in to sit behind us before the second act. Jovani Furlan arrived right before the second act curtain went up and sat next to Wendy. I have to think, considering his background that, once Ask and Gonzalo retire, he's on the fast track for promotion -- and maybe ahead of some home-grown dancers. (I know this board loves to speculate about this sort of stuff!) He was really impressive in a back-to-back Dances and Everywhere We Go performance this fall.

Anyway, looking forward to the winter season -- which is beginning awfully soon! 

I think you may be right about Furlan - of the more promising male soloists there have been a lot of injuries - eg Ball, Coll, Sanz, Villarini-Velez. So far Furlan has been impressive, though if Ball can stay healthy I think he’ll be first. I have to imagine that Furlan was given some indication that he would be on the principal track when he took a demotion to come to NYCB.

I also see a lot of principal potential in the male corps, particularly with Chamblee, Farley, and of course Mejia.

53 minutes ago, Leah said:

I think you may be right about Furlan - of the more promising male soloists there have been a lot of injuries - eg Ball, Coll, Sanz, Villarini-Velez. So far Furlan has been impressive, though if Ball can stay healthy I think he’ll be first. I have to imagine that Furlan was given some indication that he would be on the principal track when he took a demotion to come to NYCB.

I also see a lot of principal potential in the male corps, particularly with Chamblee, Farley, and of course Mejia.

I meant to mention that Farley danced Hot Chocolate last night and I was impressed with the height of his jumps. I've always thought that he's been a little under utilized considering his height. He's done the cavalier in Midsummer and he's danced cavalier in Nutcracker (I have seen him do the former but not the latter). Maybe he's needed a bit of time to grow into his body? That's certainly been true of Peter Walker. Also he is obviously devoted to the history of ballet and of Balanchine in particular. 

Farley is way ahead of Walker and should have gotten his promotion IMO. Walker has such potential with his height and looks but always seems very wooden when I see him. He is a choreographer though so that might have given him an edge over Farley when promotion time came around.

Farley has had a number of injuries since joining. We don't tend to notice corps member when they go missing but injuries do tend to slow down your promotion process. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 1:27 PM, bellawood said:

I meant to mention that Farley danced Hot Chocolate last night and I was impressed with the height of his jumps. I've always thought that he's been a little under utilized considering his height. He's done the cavalier in Midsummer and he's danced cavalier in Nutcracker (I have seen him do the former but not the latter). Maybe he's needed a bit of time to grow into his body? That's certainly been true of Peter Walker. Also he is obviously devoted to the history of ballet and of Balanchine in particular. 

Silas Farley danced the male lead in Concerto Barocco a few years ago on the last performance of Spring Season. He was great and partnered Ashley Laracey in her debut. I wish he'd dance it more often.