Leah

Nutcracker 2019

Did anyone go to the performance with Kowroski as SPF tonight? Really wondering how she is nowadays in this role.

Georgina Pazcoguin posted this:

these would be debuts for both of them, I think?

Wow, I would LOVE to see this, and I would even spring for another ticket!! But I assume it's for the final weeks of the Nut season, when I will be out of town. I wish they didn't save all the exciting debuts for the week between Christmas and New Years, when I am invariably out of town. I believe Pazcoguin is the only female soloist who has not yet done Sugarplum. About time!

Edited by cobweb
ETA: Is that Alec Knight? What's up with his hair color now, or is that its natural color?

On 12/5/2019 at 8:36 AM, audreydoll said:

For anyone who is a TDF member, they’re offering tickets for the 2:00 Wednesday matinees on December 11 and 18.  I’ve used TDF for other NYCB performances but this is the first time I’ve seen Nutcracker available.  Price is $40 plus TDF fee.

Thanks for alerting us to this! Got tickets for the 18th!

I went to a "Behind the Magic" showing at NYCB. Roman Mejia performed Candy Cane, Preston Chamblee and SAB students did the Mother Ginger dance, and Ashley Hod and Jovani Furlan did the grand pas de deux. I thought the most interesting part was being walked through the entire Prince's mime. 

Hod and Furlan dance this Sunday afternoon. I thought overall they were really good although the partnering wasn't as seamless as it could have been. Hod has a beautiful arabesque.

2 hours ago, canbelto said:

I thought the most interesting part was being walked through the entire Prince's mime. 

Pacific Northwest Ballet did a session a couple years ago where we learned the Prince's mime -- it was great to have that kind of experience with the material.

1 hour ago, abatt said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but NYCB is now posting Children Casting info.  

https://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/Press/Casting/NYCB_2019-Nutcracker-Childrens-Casting-120619.pdf

With so much press about Charlotte Nebres (the black Marie), I wonder if the box office was getting a lot of call about when she would dance. 

Edited by California

20 hours ago, abatt said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed this, but NYCB is now posting Children Casting info.  

https://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/Press/Casting/NYCB_2019-Nutcracker-Childrens-Casting-120619.pdf

Fairly certain they did so last year as well—I remember looking up the casting for my Nutcracker performance and noting who had been cast as the Nutcracker Prince. (Last year there had also been a NYTimes article profiling the two young dancers who were sharing the role.)

Disappointed to see so few debuts this year. The excitement of the SPF, Dewdrop, and Cavalier debuts make Nutcracker season special. I wonder how the dancers are feeling about the lack of these opportunities.

45 minutes ago, Brook703 said:

Disappointed to see so few debuts this year. The excitement of the SPF, Dewdrop, and Cavalier debuts make Nutcracker season special. I wonder how the dancers are feeling about the lack of these opportunities.

Agree. The debuts are what make me more likely to spring for the steep cost of tickets. 

Enjoyed Lauren Lovette, Joseph Gordon, and Unity Phelan last night. Lovette has become more radiant and secure as the years go by, and there's something about Joseph Gordon that is just tremendously appealing. Cainan Weber made a big impression in Tea, bringing a roar from the audience. The long, long limbs of Miriam Miller made Coffee mesmerizing. Overall, maybe I've just seen Nut too many times, but I find the magic wearing a little thin, especially the party scene. I love the violin solo, the transformation, the battle, and the snowflakes, though - that whole section is my favorite part (well, along with the Sugarplum pdd).

I was there last night and am writing a review for bachtrack. I really enjoyed Lauren Lovette and Joseph Gordon, as well as Miriam Miller as Coffee and Sebastian Villarini-Velez as Candy Cane. I thought Lovette was very charming and Gordon might be the best classicist the company has right now among the male principals. I wasn't crazy about Unity Phelan as Dewdrop -- I thought her jumps looked rather floppy and her turns were effortful, and she's not a natural allegro dancer. I thought Alston McGill did very well as Marzipan last night. Alec Knight is always funny as Mother Ginger.

For those who are paying attention they have no reinstated the pause before the backbend promenade.

It starts at 3:14 here.

59 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Agree. The debuts are what make me more likely to spring for the steep cost of tickets. 

Enjoyed Lauren Lovette, Joseph Gordon, and Unity Phelan last night. Lovette has become more radiant and secure as the years go by, and there's something about Joseph Gordon that is just tremendously appealing. Cainan Weber made a big impression in Tea, bringing a roar from the audience. The long, long limbs of Miriam Miller made Coffee mesmerizing. Overall, maybe I've just seen Nut too many times, but I find the magic wearing a little thin, especially the party scene. I love the violin solo, the transformation, the battle, and the snowflakes, though - that whole section is my favorite part (well, along with the Sugarplum pdd).

The year Martins gave us 14 SFP debuts was a real treat.  It gave the fans something to get excited about.  I am still holding out hope for Laine Habony to debut SFP.  She also posted on Instagram that she was still rehearsing this - and I believe she has been since Martin's tenure.  That's a long time to still not get that debut.  Maybe this year for her and Gina Pazcoguin?  We still have a few weeks.  I have blogged about the lack of debuts along with the choices of casting and the poor technique in some of these casting choices.  Alstair Macaulay broached the issue of declining technique recently.  I agree.  The casting is 'promoting' corps members that is very weak technically and I cannot understand why they are not casting strong dancers like Jacqueline Bologna. (Although I do love to watch Emma VonEck).  I am sad to say I think NYCB is following suit in 'what sells' - showy.  Poor Mr. B would not be happy.  

37 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I was there last night and am writing a review for bachtrack. I really enjoyed Lauren Lovette and Joseph Gordon, as well as Miriam Miller as Coffee and Sebastian Villarini-Velez as Candy Cane. I thought Lovette was very charming and Gordon might be the best classicist the company has right now among the male principals. I wasn't crazy about Unity Phelan as Dewdrop -- I thought her jumps looked rather floppy and her turns were effortful, and she's not a natural allegro dancer. I thought Alston McGill did very well as Marzipan last night. Alec Knight is always funny as Mother Ginger.

Thanks for the reminder, I also thought Sebastian Villarini-Velez and Alston Macgill looked terrific. I also had mixed feelings about Unity Phelan's Dewdrop. She is so stunning in that costume that just looking at her is a pleasure, but her dancing was effortful and sloppy. 

That's a shame about Phelan, she was really marvelous last year. I do find that despite her great talent she is not consistent at all - either her performances will be fantastic or they will be terribly sloppy. 

7 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Thanks for the reminder, I also thought Sebastian Villarini-Velez and Alston Macgill looked terrific. I also had mixed feelings about Unity Phelan's Dewdrop. She is so stunning in that costume that just looking at her is a pleasure, but her dancing was effortful and sloppy. 

I can see what you are saying about Unity Phelan and her dancing last night. I think it’s easy to get distracted by her beauty and how good she looks in the costume, but the dancing has to match that beauty. 

3 minutes ago, Brook703 said:

I can see what you are saying about Unity Phelan and her dancing last night. I think it’s easy to get distracted by her beauty and how good she looks in the costume, but the dancing has to match that beauty. 

I agree. She looked like a supermodel, but every jump was leaden and effortful and every pirouette seemed churned out.

A few weeks ago I saw Indiana Woodward who is petite and doesn't have the stunning figure of Unity Phelan, but Woodward danced the hell out of that part. She was the best I've seen since Tiler Peck, Tess Reichlen and Ashley Bouder.

Edited by canbelto

11 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I agree. She looked like a supermodel, but every jump was leaden and effortful and every pirouette seemed churned out.

A few weeks ago I saw Indiana Woodward who is petite and doesn't have the stunning figure of Unity Phelan, but Woodward danced the hell out of that part. She was the best I've seen since Tiler Peck, Tess Reichlen and Ashley Bouder.

I love Indiana Woodward. Did you see Macgill whip out that triple pirouette in Marzipan last night? It all looked effortless; any shakiness she had the first night on the hops was gone last night. 

Edited by Brook703

I'd add that I like seeing debuts, and also I'd like to see more of the lesser-used pairings. For example, why not give Sara Adams and Harrison Ball a few more shows? Or give Lauren King or Unity a few more SPFs. I guess I've seen Nut so many times, and I've seen the principals in general so many times (not just in Nut), that to really be drawn in I want to see something new. 

3 minutes ago, Brook703 said:

I love Indiana Woodward. Did you see Macgill whip out that triple pirouette in Marzipan last night? It all looked effortless; any shakiness she had the first night on the hops was gone last night. 

Yes McGill was really on last night. I often dislike the Marzipan variation because I feel like even the strongest technicians can struggle with this solo but McGill made it look very charming and easy last night.

1 hour ago, JanLevNYC said:

I am sad to say I think NYCB is following suit in 'what sells' - showy.  Poor Mr. B would not be happy.  

Are Nutcracker ticket sales very casting-dependent?