Leah

Nutcracker 2019

On 11/26/2019 at 8:20 AM, wonderwall said:

Did anybody get a chance to see Staker as marzipan last year?

Yes and she is lovely.  Could be a little quicker but I bet she comes up this year more comfortable with what's needed.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:12 PM, cobweb said:

Hmmmm week 3 and no sign of Peck or Bouder. Hope to see Tiler back very very soon. I have a ticket for Dec 10. Happy to see the casting is Lovette, Gordon, and Phelan. I bought that ticket way in advance. Unless some enticing new casting appears, this may be my only Nut this year. For several years now I’ve seen maybe 3-5 each year. But without new casting I may be reaching my limit esp with the ticket prices. 

Looks like you will get to see Miriam Miller as coffee.   She has the technical competency and is gorgeous to look at.  I am hoping for lots of sultry from her this season - exciting!  It is a great role for expanding that side of performance.  Still nothing new for Habony, Staker or Bologna - great disappointment here.  The roster is full (even with Bouder out) but it's time to put those two dancers forward.  I am with you on reaching a limit this year - I see 5+ NYCB Nutcrackers a season and so far am bored with the lineup through week 3.  Lots of potential in the mid-ranks not being used in the last 5-6 seasons since Martin's departure.  It seems things just got stuck for this group?  And as much as I love to see the new dancers get chances, I am still disappointed that those dancers that were new dancers seem to have gotten lost in the transition years.  Maybe one of those girls will get a shot at Swan Lake in the Winter - back to Habony on this one.  She did a NYCB Anatomy of Dance video about Swan Lake.  It would be perfect to see her get a shot at Odette/Odile - she has everything needed to be a star there.

Edited by DaniGirl

For anyone wondering about Tiler Peck, she is indeed guesting this weekend with Tyler Angle with Chamberlain Ballet in the Dallas Fort Worth area.  She just posted on her Instagram about it...sorry I don't know how to copy it.

1 hour ago, Jacqueline said:

For anyone wondering about Tiler Peck, she is indeed guesting this weekend with Tyler Angle with Chamberlain Ballet in the Dallas Fort Worth area.  She just posted on her Instagram about it...sorry I don't know how to copy it.

Thanks for the good news, Jacqueline! I would love to hear a report. 

7 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

Here it is. FYI: go over to the person's home page by clicking on the name in the upper left. Find the posting you want. Right click "copy link address." Paste that here.

Looks like Alexa Maxwell came back today! How long was she out for?

Edited by wonderwall

Ashley Bouder is back as well; she posted company class on her stories. Hopefully she doesn’t try to rush her recovery, there are a number of ballets in the winter season that I’d like to see her in.

33 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Looks like Alexa Maxwell came back today! How long was she out for?

Wow, that is terrific news. Did anyone see her? She's been out, I don't know, like two years?

Really lovely performance of Nutcracker tonight. Sterling Hyltin as SPF worked her usual magic and Indiana Woodward might be the best Dewdrop NYCB has if Tiler and Ashley are out. So glad I went. 

8 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Really lovely performance of Nutcracker tonight. Sterling Hyltin as SPF worked her usual magic and Indiana Woodward might be the best Dewdrop NYCB has if Tiler and Ashley are out. So glad I went. 

Did you happen to notice Maxwell in the corp of Marzipan? 

Just now, wonderwall said:

Did you happen to notice Maxwell in the corp of Marzipan? 

Yes I did. She looked great and it's so good to see her back. I'm sorry to report that Alston McGill as the chief Marzipan had some noticeable trouble with those slow traveling hops in a circle on pointe. Her leg was shaking and it looked like she was cramping. 

Sterling and Indiana were marvelous, and -- at least from where I was sitting -- Veyette looked better than he has in a while. 

Most endearing moment of the night occurred at the beginning of act II, when the SPF gestures for each pair of angels to switch sides of the stage. One of the angels began gliding forward too early, and when she realized the mistake, she simply glided backwards in character, completely unfazed.

9 hours ago, canbelto said:

Yes I did. She looked great and it's so good to see her back. I'm sorry to report that Alston McGill as the chief Marzipan had some noticeable trouble with those slow traveling hops in a circle on pointe. Her leg was shaking and it looked like she was cramping. 

I was at the show last night, as well. I did not even notice what you referenced with the hops - I was sitting orchestra close to stage. I thought Alston Macgill was lovely as Marzipan. Her performance quality reminds me of Indiana Woodward; they both seem truly happy to perform. It appears Macgill has at least three more lead Marzipans in the coming weeks. Macgill is absolutely my favorite dancer right now (Emma Von Enck is also a favorite) and it’s good to see Alston Macgill getting featured parts. It was great to see Alexa Maxwell back.

Edited by Brook703

I just noticed: Taylor Stanley and Russell Janzen seem to be on the DL list as well. 

16 hours ago, cobweb said:

Glad to see Maxwell and Boisson back, both out for SO LONG. 

Honestly, I was beginning to wonder if their injuries were so grievous as to be career-ending—not to mention LaFreniere's and Hod's. It's good to see all that all four of these very promising dancers are back on the stage. I've missed them all.

So glad to see Peck and Huxley back!! Baily Jones debuts as Dewdrop and also Marzipan. 

On 12/1/2019 at 7:56 PM, canbelto said:

I just noticed: Taylor Stanley and Russell Janzen seem to be on the DL list as well. 

Oh, that's bad news. Get well soon everyone.

12 minutes ago, canbelto said:

An update in casting: Abi Stafford is replaced by Unity Phelan on December 12.

Wow, that casting with Phelan, Danchig-Waring, and Woodward is very tempting. But the ticket prices... ouch!

Edited by cobweb
ETA: wow, I just checked the pricing, and double ouch! It's worse than I thought. Sad, but no way...

4 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Wow, that casting with Phelan, Danchig-Waring, and Woodward is very tempting. But the ticket prices... ouch!

I sympathize. I already saw the performance with Hyltin/Veyette/Woodward and immediately spring for Tiler's return to the stage. Le sigh.

For anyone who is a TDF member, they’re offering tickets for the 2:00 Wednesday matinees on December 11 and 18.  I’ve used TDF for other NYCB performances but this is the first time I’ve seen Nutcracker available.  Price is $40 plus TDF fee.

Edited by audreydoll