Leah

Nutcracker 2019

A lot of Nutcracker guesting. Hyltin and Veyette are dancing at Dallas Ballet Dec 6-8. Abi Stafford and Ask La Cour are dancing Yorkville Nutcracker Dec 13-15. 

Also guesting according to Eastern Connecticut Ballet's website for their Nutcracker: Sara Mearns, Jared Angle, Unity Phelan, and Adrian Danchig-Waring.

20 minutes ago, cassieallison said:

several apprentices taking on featured roles in week 2

How normal is it for an apprentice to take on lead Candy Cane? Weber’s got several performances ahead.

I think Mejia did it as an apprentice? Could be wrong, it might have been tea.

1 minute ago, Leah said:

I think Mejia did it as an apprentice? Could be wrong, it might have been tea.

I remember him doing a lot of performances of tea, but i could be wrong and he did candy can back then too

Aha.  Just saw that Takahashi is getting a few Teas too.  

Love to see these opportunities for the apprentices — one of my favorite things about Nutcracker season! Would really appreciate any reports.

15 hours ago, tutu said:

Aha.  Just saw that Takahashi is getting a few Teas too.  

Love to see these opportunities for the apprentices — one of my favorite things about Nutcracker season! Would really appreciate any reports.

Didn't Takahashi have a leading role in the new Lovette, not first cast but one of the following performances?  NYCB does just throw the new kids out there, and they usually kill it.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:55 AM, mille-feuille said:

I would be so excited to see Nadon in a featured role. I'm not sure she's ready for Dewdrop or SPF yet but maybe Marzipan, Coffee, or a Lead Flower?

I'd also like to see more of Baily Jones, after she impressed me so much in Symphony in C last fall.

I think Kikta would make a great Dewdrop, or LaFreniere.

Tiler is my Dewdrop GOAT ("Greatest of All Time"—I will never not find this acronym funny); I always try to go to see her in this role. I hope she's recovered enough to perform.

Edited by KarenAG
Quote didn’t work - my response appended to the quote.

mille-feuille,  I’m cracking up! GOAT. And I completely agree with that. I saw Tiler perform Dewdrop a few years ago and she was fabulous

Hmmmm week 3 and no sign of Peck or Bouder. Hope to see Tiler back very very soon. I have a ticket for Dec 10. Happy to see the casting is Lovette, Gordon, and Phelan. I bought that ticket way in advance. Unless some enticing new casting appears, this may be my only Nut this year. For several years now I’ve seen maybe 3-5 each year. But without new casting I may be reaching my limit esp with the ticket prices. 

I’m worried about Peck - I think she had said in the CoD podcast that she was coming back for Nutcracker. Also hope Bouder’s not out for too long.

I got Korowski/T Angle/Gerrity as my cast this year, which I’m fine with but not super excited about. Actually more excited to see Kikta do Coffee, which I’ve heard great things about. Gerrity seems to me more like a SPF than a Dewdrop but I’m looking forward to seeing how she does.

15 hours ago, cobweb said:

Hmmmm week 3 and no sign of Peck or Bouder.

It sounds like Bouder is a maybe for this run of Nutcracker.

This isn't about this year's Nutcracker, but NYCB's Instagram says that Balanchine rechoreographed the Coffee variation in 1979 for the 2nd time. Does anyone know which dancer he rechoreographed it for? He'd done a version that was for Gloria Govrin prior to that (and a version created on Arthur Mitchell prior to Govrin's).

I'm not positive but I think the 1979 Coffee might have been choreographed on Karin von Aroldingen.

I too was charmed by the NYT article about the new casts of Nutcracker children. And terribly impressed with their comments. 11? 12? 13? They spoke like little adults. 

I no longer have a subscription to the NYT, so I can't read the article on the Nutcracker children. But just tell me one thing: Is Athan Sporek doing the Nutcracker Prince again? He was great last year. 

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

I no longer have a subscription to the NYT, so I can't read the article on the Nutcracker children. But just tell me one thing: Is Athan Sporek doing the Nutcracker Prince again? He was great last year. 

No. Princes are Tanner Quirk and Kai Misra-Stone.

3 hours ago, Rock said:

I'm not positive but I think the 1979 Coffee might have been choreographed on Karin von Aroldingen.

I too was charmed by the NYT article about the new casts of Nutcracker children. And terribly impressed with their comments. 11? 12? 13? They spoke like little adults. 

Thanks, von Aroldingen would make sense.  It's hard to find out anything about it online, though.