Leah

Nutcracker 2019

Quite a few injuries as well. Ashley Bouder mentioned in an Instagram story a few days ago that she was wearing an orthopedic boot. Don't know if Tiler Peck will return for Nutcracker season.

39 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Quite a few injuries as well. Ashley Bouder mentioned in an Instagram story a few days ago that she was wearing an orthopedic boot. Don't know if Tiler Peck will return for Nutcracker season.

Yes, Tiler Peck and Bouder being out (for however long), puts a big hole in SPF and Dewdrop casting. 

I will play Russian roulette like every year with my one performance. Luckily I won't be stuck-(for third time in a row!)- with Le Crone...🙄

Tiler Peck and Tyler Angle have been guest artists in north Texas at Chamberlain Ballet's "Nutcracker" every Thanksgiving weekend for the past several years.  They are still scheduled to perform this year.

No Mearns or Reichlen in the first week either. In terms of debuts I’m hoping that Emma von Enck gets a SPF or a Dewdrop.

I would love to see a debut by Mira Nadon as either Sugarplum or Dewdrop.  I have no Nutcracker tickets, but a debut by Nadon just might motivate me to buy.

I would be so excited to see Nadon in a featured role. I'm not sure she's ready for Dewdrop or SPF yet but maybe Marzipan, Coffee, or a Lead Flower?

I'd also like to see more of Baily Jones, after she impressed me so much in Symphony in C last fall.

I think Kikta would make a great Dewdrop, or LaFreniere.

Tiler is my Dewdrop GOAT ("Greatest of All Time"—I will never not find this acronym funny); I always try to go to see her in this role. I hope she's recovered enough to perform.

For Sugarplum, I love both Tiler and Sara. I'd also like to see Emilie Gerrity—I saw her in the role once and I'd like to see it again.

I'd love to see Joe Gordon as Cavalier—I can't get enough of his "unforced gravitas," as Pointe Magazine put it. :P Unfortunately I'll be out of town for his scheduled dates in the first week.

For Nutcracker I like to revisit old favorites and try new things :) 

My favorite SPF's are Hyltin and Reichlen. I also love Ashley Laracey but for obvious reasons she won't be dancing this season.

My favorite Dewdrop is Tiler Peck.

I'd love to see Emilie Gerrity as SPF. Haven't seen her before.

Canbelto's tastes generally are similar to mine: Hyltin as SPF and Peck as Dewdrop are my favorites. Like Leah, I would be thrilled if Emma Von Enck got SPF or Dewdrop. I think she can dance almost anything. She's such a natural onstage too. 

Edited by vagansmom
To fix typo

I would love to see Alston Macgill as SPF or Dewdrop. She looked so strong last season. She is doing lead Marzipan the first Saturday evening show, which I am going to try to see. 

On 11/14/2019 at 9:55 AM, mille-feuille said:

I would be so excited to see Nadon in a featured role. I'm not sure she's ready for Dewdrop or SPF yet but maybe Marzipan, Coffee, or a Lead Flower?

I'd also like to see more of Baily Jones, after she impressed me so much in Symphony in C last fall.

I think Kikta would make a great Dewdrop, or LaFreniere.

Tiler is my Dewdrop GOAT ("Greatest of All Time"—I will never not find this acronym funny); I always try to go to see her in this role. I hope she's recovered enough to perform.

For Sugarplum, I love both Tiler and Sara. I'd also like to see Emilie Gerrity—I saw her in the role once and I'd like to see it again.

I'd love to see Joe Gordon as Cavalier—I can't get enough of his "unforced gravitas," as Pointe Magazine put it. :P Unfortunately I'll be out of town for his scheduled dates in the first week.

Kicks and LaFreniere have both done Dewdrop.  Hopefully LaFreniere will be well enough for the role.

i hope we finally get to see Laine Habony as SPF.  I enjoy Kitka and LaFreniere but Habony has every quality necessary for a glorious performance.  She reminds me of Darci Kitsler - which is a compliment of the highest order.  I see she is on first week as Hot Chocolate with Daniel Applebaum.  Let’s hope this is her year as it seems from social media she has been rehearsing it for years, starting as a student in the tours for SAB. 

Alston McGill will be an exciting debut! She will make a great marzipan.

I wonder if NYCB has any taller men coming up soon from SAB.  They could use a few.

Re: removed posts, we need official sources.

On 11/13/2019 at 2:43 PM, Fleurfairy said:

Same old, same old. As is usually the case for the first week.

NYCB probably starts with experienced lead principals to give the child performers a chance to gel. Smart, imo.

Unity Phelan is one of my favorite dancers and I haven't seen her in either SPF or Dewdrop. I think she's done both. I don't have tickets to Nutcracker this year, but if she's cast for a performance when I'm available I might try to go.

I don't usually compliment Peter Martins, but I did love it that year when 17 or so women, many from the corps, made their debuts as SPF. I saw Ashley Hod, who was just lovely. Nutcracker tickets don't sell based on casting, NYCB has such a depth of talent and a lot of the principals can make serious money with guesting gigs so it makes so much sense.

On 11/13/2019 at 9:12 PM, cassieallison said:

Are there any potential debuts you all are hoping to see or castings you are excited to revisit?

Tiler Peck and Sterling Hyltin are always my favorite SPF.  And of course Indiana Woodward can dance anything beautifully.

A little too soon to know about the debuts but I also HOPE to see Laine Habony either as Dewdrop or SPF (with Preston Chamblee would be my pick) this year - I see she is opening the week as Hot Chocolate.  And she does remind me of Darci Kistler as well (which I also know to be a complement).  Very happy to see Alston McGill as Marzipan in the first week.  I would like to see more of Jacqueline Bologna - Marzipan, Dewdrop, Chocolate.

Daniel Ulbricht is a treasure as Candy Cane but I hope we get to see him as Cavalier again this year.

I hope we see Olivia Boisson and Harrison Ball again soon!

I lucked out with my ticket last year and got to see Phelan do Dewdrop. Honestly one of the best performances I’ve seen at City Ballet. I’d really like to see her SPF, she is so ethereal. 

Speaking of dancers currently out, does anyone know what’s happened to Sean Suozzi? 

On 11/13/2019 at 10:12 PM, cassieallison said:

Are there any potential debuts you all are hoping to see or castings you are excited to revisit?

Tiler Peck's Dewdrop, of course. I buy my Nutcracker tickets before knowing the casting, and over the past several years I've been delighted to find I was seeing Tiler's Dewdrop several times. It was like finding out I was holding a winning lottery ticket. 

Also for Dewdrop I would love to see Emma von Enck (pretty sure it would be a debut) and Emily Kikta (not a debut, but I haven't seen her do it before).

1 hour ago, Leah said:

I lucked out with my ticket last year and got to see Phelan do Dewdrop. Honestly one of the best performances I’ve seen at City Ballet. I’d really like to see her SPF, she is so ethereal. 

Speaking of dancers currently out, does anyone know what’s happened to Sean Suozzi? 

I'm jealous, but I did see Phelan in DAAG this fall. 😊 

I haven't seen Nadon since Herman Schmerman. I'd like to see her dance Coffee.

Edited by BalanchineFan

It looks like Hod and Furlan may be a Sugarplum-Cavalier pairing. They could be really lovely together. 

furlan.jpg

Edited by fondoffouettes

1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

It looks like Hod and Furlan may be a Sugarplum-Cavalier pairing. They could be really lovely together. 

That could be a terrific pairing. Hod has done Sugarplum before, but it must be a debut for Furlan. I look forward to seeing more of him!

7 minutes ago, cobweb said:

That could be a terrific pairing. Hod has done Sugarplum before, but it must be a debut for Furlan. I look forward to seeing more of him!

He was a principal at Miami City Ballet, which does the Balanchine version. He must have done it before, surely. And yes, I look forward to seeing more of him as well!

Tiler Peck has an Instagram story about self care to prepare for the Nutcracker season. I hope this means she'll be back on stage soon.