This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2020 Abu Dhabi Romeo & Juliet

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

They're doing two shows of R&J in A.D. in April.

Copeland/Cornejo and Trenary/Royal are the casts. (I'm wondering if the pairings are mixed up by mistake, since Copeland/Royal and Trenary/Cornejo are listed for the Met.)

https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/

The press release is on Broadway World and it confirms the pairings of Copeland/Cornejo and Trenary/Royal:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwdance/article/Misty-Copeland-To-Dance-Title-Role-in-ROMEO-AND-JULIET-at-American-Ballet-Theatres-Abu-Dhabi-Festival-Appearance-20191111

I wonder if any dancers have misgivings about performing in a country with an abominable human rights record, one where you can be imprisoned or executed for being gay, for example. I guess these sorts of cultural tours are about putting aside differences and enjoying the transcendent quality of the art form. But yeah, as a gay man, I wouldn't exactly be thrilled about traveling to the UAE. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
20 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

The press release is on Broadway World and it confirms the pairings of Copeland/Cornejo and Trenary/Royal:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwdance/article/Misty-Copeland-To-Dance-Title-Role-in-ROMEO-AND-JULIET-at-American-Ballet-Theatres-Abu-Dhabi-Festival-Appearance-20191111

I wonder if any dancers have misgivings about performing in a country with an abominable human rights record, one where you can be imprisoned or executed for being gay, for example. I guess these sorts of cultural tours are about putting aside differences and enjoying the transcendent quality of the art form. But yeah, as a gay man, I wouldn't exactly be thrilled about traveling to the UAE. 

Thanks for this. Interesting that the Cleveland Orchestra will accompany them.

I always wonder how something like this is broached with the dancers (I assume it must be for the reasons you cited). 

21 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

They're doing two shows of R&J in A.D. in April.

Copeland/Cornejo and Trenary/Royal are the casts. (I'm wondering if the pairings are mixed up by mistake, since Copeland/Royal and Trenary/Cornejo are listed for the Met.)

https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/

It seems this isn't a mix up as Trenary just put up on her social media that says she will be with Cornejo on May 23 matinee! I maybe in the minority but what a slap in the face for Lane 🙁 After all these years of wonderful pairing with Cornejo she is now paired with IMO a less than sufficient partner and one show to say the least! I am sorry but I cannot see Trenary in the role, she is wonderful don't get me wrong but she is good at what I call the cute, flirtatious roles as she has been cast with, but Lane is Juliet especially after her Manon with Cornejo. It is so clear that the powers that be have their eyes to put Trenary on fast track and have Lane one foot out the door 😤 Yet another great dancer kick to the curb after all these years. Neither of these pairings are desirable as IMHO sadly the golden days of the company are gone. Plus why the Middle East when we know what is going on over there?

34 minutes ago, stuben said:

It seems this isn't a mix up as Trenary just put up on her social media that says she will be with Cornejo on May 23 matinee! I maybe in the minority but what a slap in the face for Lane 🙁 After all these years of wonderful pairing with Cornejo she is now paired with IMO a less than sufficient partner and one show to say the least! I am sorry but I cannot see Trenary in the role, she is wonderful don't get me wrong but she is good at what I call the cute, flirtatious roles as she has been cast with, but Lane is Juliet especially after her Manon with Cornejo. It is so clear that the powers that be have their eyes to put Trenary on fast track and have Lane one foot out the door 😤 Yet another great dancer kick to the curb after all these years. Neither of these pairings are desirable as IMHO sadly the golden days of the company are gone. Plus why the Middle East when we know what is going on over there?

This was discussed in another thread but Lane and Cornejo have deleted each other off social media and are no longer dancing together under any circumstances. 

3 hours ago, canbelto said:

This was discussed in another thread but Lane and Cornejo have deleted each other off social media and are no longer dancing together under any circumstances. 

Any news why? Still sad how Lane has repeatedly been given less and less suited roles 😔

28 minutes ago, stuben said:

Any news why? Still sad how Lane has repeatedly been given less and less suited roles 😔

No, there have been no public statements on the matter. 

I'm surprised they are switching the casting between Dubai and NYC. Would Copeland and Royal's performance in NYC would mark the first time ABT has presented two African American dancers, together, in the lead roles of any full-length ballet? If that's the case, perhaps they want to save any related buzz for the NYC performances. 

In any case, I'm glad to finally be able to see Cornejo's Romeo, now that he'll be paired with someone other than Copeland. 

I wonder if they are going to cancel any of their other tours. Chicago is next week so I’m assuming that will still go on. But, then there’s Durham followed by Detroit next month. Even domestic travel is being postponed by a lot of businesses (such as my own). It would be terrible if they have to, yet completely understandable, but it would be detrimental to the dancers and their bottom line.