Sign in to follow this  
dirac

Thursday, November 7

New York City Ballet board member Lisa Marie Falcone and her husband are sued by a former chef.

"Your girlfriend speaks very well," Lisa Falcone allegedly told Villanueva the next day, according to court papers. "She seems educated. I would describe her as a chocolate-covered marshmallow."

Falcone then proceeded to ask Villanueva if he used the N-word with his girlfriend at home and used the racial slur when posing the question to him.

Related.

Further affirming her love of the arts, Lisa is also on the board of the New York City Ballet. She told W Magazine that she used to watch the ballet on television growing up because “it helped me transcend my situation and go somewhere else.”

A photo gallery from some recent New York City galas.

Over the past few weeks, New York City has seen a flurry of fall galas, from the New York Ballet’s red carpet (walked by Sarah Jessica Parker, Zac Posen and Ryan Seacrest) to the New York Philharmonic (attended by Alec Baldwin and his wife Hilaria). Other guests about town included Brooke Shields, Martha Hunt and Alan Cumming.

Q&A with Twyla Tharp.

Twyla Tharp: I could bench my body weight for three, and I dead-lifted two hundred and twenty seven pounds to the waist…

Jeffrey Brown: Wow.

Twyla Tharp: … which was twice my body weight, OK? So — but I developed core strength that the classical dancer doesn’t have. Now, in making a piece of this sort for a classical dancer, I can bring that kind of physical intelligence to them and say, try it this way.

A report from L.A. Dance Project's festival by Roslyn Sulcas in The New York Times.

For those not familiar with Lewitzky’s work, which was rarely presented after her company disbanded in 1997, “Kinaesonata, staged by Walter Kennedy, a former Lewitzky dancer, is a revelation. In this 1970 piece, set to the insistent rhythms and atonal lyricism of Alberto Ginastera’s Piano Sonata No. 1, the dancers move with a deeply rooted, grounded quality that feels very much of its time. But the movement, with its balletic purity of line, its off-center angles and its rapid, joyous flights through space, also feels startlingly vivid and fresh.

What Devon Teuscher is wearing to the office.

“They’re the worst thing for your feet,” she told HuffPost. “You also have to use your big toe to hold it on, which causes tendonitis and calf issues. I mean, you might find me in a heel if I have to wear it, but a flip-flop? Absolutely never.”

Dance Theatre of Harlem visits Utah.....

Onstage Ogden, one of the presenters of the DTH performance, is celebrating an anniversary of its own this season, marking 70 years since it first began bringing professional classical music and dance to little old Ogden.

...and make a presentation to elementary school pupils in Santa Barbara.

Put on through UCSB Arts & Lectures’ Arts Adventure, an educational outreach assembly program for fourth, fifth, and sixth graders, DTH members walked the students in the audience through the fundamentals of ballet before gradually combining those elements into four performance excerpts.

A review of Northern Ballet by Debra Craine in The Times.

Northern Ballet, the Leeds-based touring company, is best known for its full-length narrative productions. But sometimes it’s more revealing to see the dancers in a mixed repertoire of short works that don’t rely on their considerable dramatic abilities. Which is the case here, with a triple bill performed in the downstairs theatre at the Royal Opera House.

Sign in to follow this