This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Victor Lebedev

aqualia2008

Agree he is wonderful.  I have seen him in many roles at Mikhailovsky.  It is a tragedy really that with his amazing talent, he is not a Mariinsky principal instead of Mikhailovsky.  He has beautiful lines, that cruising ease of movement, high jump, spectacular turns - EVERYthing.  He also has great charm and presence on stage.  I don't want to say he is wasted at the Mikhailovsky, because that would be to imply Mikhailovsky is not a good company, which it certainly is, but from Lebedev's own point of view, he has missed out on the worldwide exposure and opportunities that being a principal at Mariinsky would have brought him.   As it is, I can only say, yes, he's stunning.

35 minutes ago, MadameP said:

I don't want to say he is wasted at the Mikhailovsky, because that would be to imply Mikhailovsky is not a good company, which it certainly is, but from Lebedev's own point of view, he has missed out on the worldwide exposure and opportunities that being a principal at Mariinsky would have brought him.

Well, who knows?... Lebedev was invited to join Mariinsky, but he chose the Mikhailovsky. So did Borchenko... So did Sarafanov, who left Mariinsky and joined Mikhailovsky.

1 hour ago, aqualia2008 said:

What do you think about Lebedev's performance in Swan Lake?

In my opinion it is outstanding for a number of reasons.  First of all he is a strong partner and really allows Borchenko to shine and shine she does!  Secondly, he is a brilliant actor portraying the troubled Prince Seigfried in 3 dimensions.  Lastly, his technique is SUPERB.  Those clean fifths he lands in from the double tours enl'air in his variation are so clean.

On 11/3/2019 at 4:24 AM, ECat said:

What a lovely dancer to discuss!  It looks as though he is on the shorter side and perhaps he thought he would be limited at the Mariinsky.

I agree Viktor Lebedev is a beautiful, fabulous and elegant dancer, and although Mikhailovsky Ballet is a good company I do miss him at Mariinsky, he should have been glorious there with more international exposure.  I don't think he is not on the shorter side (of course not as tall as Yermakov), he has long, lean lines and suited for many roles. I saw him in La Fille mal Gardee in St Petersburg a couple of years ago which was a warm, lovely performance and look forward seeing him in Duato's Sleeping Beauty during their Japan tour later this month. 

As I know, Lebedev was invited not only by the Mariinsky, but also by the Paris National Ballet. But Mikhailovsky company was a short-cut for the big repertoire. Lebedev chose to work there with M. Messerer, who is a master of highest class.

Edited by aqualia2008

Program

CASTING
Mikhailovsky Theatre Symphony Orchestra
Mikhailovsky Ballet (Compagnie de Ballet)
Pavel Sorokin (Conductor)
Nacho Duato after Marius Petipa (Choreography)
Ludwig Minkus (Composer)

PROGRAM
La Bayadère
Ballet in three acts
Choreography by Nacho Duato after Marius Petipa
Music by Ludwig Minkus
The Mikhailovsky Theatre Ballet and Symphony Orchestra
Conductor, Pavel Sorokin
Stage Designer, Costume Designer, Angelina Atlagić
Lighting Design, Brad Fields

(Nikiya) Angelina Vorontsova
(Solor) Victor Lebedev
(Gamzatti) Andrea Laššáková

Recording: November 16 2019 - Mikhailovsky Theatre | Saint Petersburg
Director: Andy Sommer
Duration: 02:45

or Tuesday, December 3 at 09:35 on Mezzo Live HD (Live broadcast)

Edited by aqualia2008

Thank you @aqualia2008 for another wonderful video!  Lebedev really has a beautiful facility to work with.  His feet and ankles are gorgeously arched.  He has great technique - landing in 5th very cleanly.  My only wish is that he wouldn't lift that hip up so high in order to get his arabesque higher.   I imagine he is quite flexible in those hips.

On 3/12/2020 at 9:24 PM, ECat said:

Thank you @aqualia2008 for another wonderful video!  Lebedev really has a beautiful facility to work with.  His feet and ankles are gorgeously arched.  He has great technique - landing in 5th very cleanly.  My only wish is that he wouldn't lift that hip up so high in order to get his arabesque higher.   I imagine he is quite flexible in those hips.

Thank you very much! I'm so glad you like the video!