This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Roster change?

Much to my regret, I have noticed that one of my favorite senior corps members, Lydia Wellington, is no longer listed on the company roster.  Does anyone know anything about this?  There was no announcement of other plans at the end of fall season, as there was for Sarah Villwock.  I had been hoping for a promotion for her.

Wow. She is a dancer who will really, really be missed. I could see how after 22 years (not sure how much of that time was in the company, but a lot), you might want to take the chance to do something different while there is still time left in your career. I hope she gets much, much-deserved bigger roles. She is a beautiful dancer with maturity, polish, and a glowing presence. Best wishes, Lydia!

13 hours ago, Leah said:

Oh no, she was great in Summerspace.

She was indeed! But then she was great in everything. I could never understand why her career didn't get more traction—to my eyes, she was a more interesting dancer than some who made it to the soloist (and even principal) ranks. Not just technically strong—actually interesting. She was in my fantasy cast for a lot of things. I will miss her.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

Wellington has posted on IG that her husband is either French or works in France. That probably had something to do with the change. What a beautiful dancer she is. She was so fluid and daring in Summerspace and I loved her in the demi soloist roles in Symphony in C. 
NYCB is already calling up at least one new apprentice for Nutcracker. Yesterday was donor day at SAB and one of the young women was ecstatic to be a new apprentice.

Edited by BalanchineFan
20 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

She was indeed! But then she was great in everything. I could never understand why her career didn't get more traction—to my eyes, she was a more interesting dancer than some who made it to the soloist (and even principal) ranks. Not just technically strong—actually interesting. She was in my fantasy cast for a lot of things. I will miss her.

I feel the same way — she has a real presence. I’m really glad to hear that she’ll still be dancing, and I hope she gets exciting opportunities in Monte Carlo. We’ll have to hope that the company tours the states soon!

I will miss Lydia Wellington on stage at NYCB and wish her all the best on her new adventure in France.  What a gift it has been to watch her all these years! 

1 minute ago, BalanchineFan said:

Zoe Bliss Magnussen has been added to the roster of apprentices! I'm not sure she even danced in the workshop performance last spring.

I believe she performed Concerto Barroco in the 2019 Workshop.

9 minutes ago, ECat said:

According to this article she was in Concerto Barocco at the 2019 workshop performance.  Lovely photo of her!

http://www.seeingdance.com/school-of-american-ballet-12062019/

OMG, thank you both, JanLevNYC and ECat! I thought Zoe had danced, but when I looked at my program she wasn't listed. Maybe I saw her cast in the dress rehearsal. The review has a lovely photo, and a lovely mention, too.

YouTube has a clip of 4T's that (I believe) has Lydia Wellington dancing the first theme. I wish dancers would copy their NYCB online bios before they leave. I always want to take one more look.

Edited by BalanchineFan
On 11/16/2019 at 5:36 PM, BalanchineFan said:

I wish dancers would copy their NYCB online bios before they leave. I always want to take one more look.

Ms. Wellington was born in New York City, and began her dance training at the School of American Ballet in 1997 at the age of seven. While at SAB, she performed children’s roles in George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker, as well as performing with New York City Ballet in George Balanchine’s Serenade, Jerome Robbins’ 2 & 3 Part Inventions and Fanfare, and Christopher Wheeldon’s Scènes de Ballet. Ms. Wellington became an apprentice with New York City Ballet in June 2008, and joined the Company as a member of the corps de ballet in October 2008.

OTHER PERFORMANCES

Ms. Wellington performed with SAB as part of Protégés II at the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. in June 2008.

HONORS

Ms. Wellington was a recipient of the Mae L. Wien Award for Outstanding Promise in 2008.

FEATURED ROLES SINCE JOINING NYCB

GEORGE BALANCHINE

• Chaconne
  • The Four Temperaments
  • George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® (Coffee, Flowers, Frau Stahlbaum)
  • La Valse

PETER MARTINS

• The Sleeping Beauty (Generosity)
  • Swan Lake (Spanish, Princesses)

JUSTIN PECK

• New Blood

ANGELIN PRELJOCAJ

• La Stravaganza

JEROME ROBBINS

• 2 & 3 Part Inventions
  • The Concert
  • Fanfare