dirac

Monday, October 21

An obituary for Alicia Alonso in The Herald.

As founder and director of the National Ballet of Cuba, Alonso personified the island's arts programme under Fidel Castro's communist rule and she kept vise-like control over the troupe past her 90th birthday despite being nearly blind for decades.

Stella Abrera announces her retirement.

Ms. Abrera said that after retirement what she would miss most is the connection with her fellow dancers. “There’s nothing like creating a bond with people who you work with in live performance,” she said. “It’s a sense of community unlike any other.”

Ms. Abrera said she would remain involved with dance: “I plan on continuing to contribute to the dance world from a different angle than with point shoes.” She added that she’s also excited to explore other dance projects as a performer.

A review of Cleveland Ballet's "Carmen" by Zachary Leader in The Plain Dealer.

Just over an hour long, the one-act show Saturday night kicking off Cleveland Ballet’s fifth season never wore out its welcome or dragged for a moment. The action and dancing were vibrant and relentless, the visuals lean but striking. This “Carmen” may not have been the most lavish of productions, but it was definitely the work of a company mature and creative.

An interview with Pam Tanowitz by Jann Parry for DanceTabs.

Maybe that’s why it took so long for Tanowitz’s talent to be recognised, she thinks.  “Where did she come from?” people would ask because I’d never been in a company.’ It took many years for her work to be reviewed and acclaimed. ‘In some ways, it was an advantage’, she reckons. ‘I had such a low profile in New York that I could fail small and fail big without having to worry about ticket sales. That way, I could see what to work on for my next piece. I’ve had to make my own opportunities for so much of my career that it’s great they’re now calling me. I’m 49, so I’m ready.’