dirac

Friday, October 18

Alicia Alonso's funeral will be held on Saturday.

According to her family, not mourning, but a great homage to be shared by her entire people will be dedicated to Alicia Alonso in the framework of the Cuban Culture Events, the ministry noted.

A review of the Milwaukee Ballet in "Coppelia" by Lauren Warnecke for Milwaukee magazine.

Coppelia also poses a significant challenge for the ensemble. The first act is anchored by the corps de ballet’s mazurka, a Polish folk dance set to one of most recognizable passages of Leo Delibes’ terrific score. Here the company shines, as does the Milwaukee Ballet Orchestra, lined up in perfect rows for all the heel clicking bravura you could want in an evening, but they appear to run out of gas in the third act wedding dances.

More obituaries for Alonso.

The Times

It was said that Cuba had three principal exports: cigars, sugar and Alicia Alonso, one of the greatest dancers of the 20th century. She made her debut in 1931 and, pirouetting on a pedestal of international eminence, was still dancing almost 65 years later, having lived through political turmoil, Cold War isolation and financial hardship.

The Daily Telegraph

It was long said that Cuba had three chief exports: cigars, sugar and Alicia Alonso. She was one of the small handful of dancers generally accepted as a prima ballerina assoluta, alongside the Britons Margot Fonteyn and Alicia Markova and the Russian Maya Plisetskaya – yet for almost all of her career Alonso was classifiably blind.

Ismene Brown provides a previously unpublished transcript of an interview with Alonso and select critical commentary for The Arts Desk.

It was 1946.

Right after the war. I was one of the two ballerinas, and Freddie said to me, stay. I said, “But Freddie, I have my house in Cuba, I am too far from here to there, and I have so many things I am trying to do with the company, and here I will be all by myself.” I spoke Spanish with him – he spoke Spanish.