Roberta

Alexei Ratmansky's Giselle - updates?

Hello. Do any of our Russia-based (or other) friends have any news on Ratmansky's Giselle? Will this be another reconstruction?

This production is set to premiere in November, with a live cinemascast on 26 January (at 12:55PM in the eastern USA). Several DC-area theaters are already announcing it.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/bolshoi1920-giselle

Posted (edited)

Hi Roberta. I really hope there are updates on this, as it is quite a monumental task to touch this important work. If the muses would behave , then they would work to inspire Ratmansky to reconstruct two scenes. One being the "Fugue des Willis", which I have always visualized, and then the very ending "Lever du soleil et arrivee de la cour (Sunrise and the Arrival of the Court)", in which a totally different dramatic turn would had to be employed, with Giselle pardoning Albrecht in front of everyone, including Bathilde, and sort of releasing him to go with her before ascending to the heavens. Bathilde would then be a completely different animal than the short lived imperious princess we all came to know. According to the written sources, in this scene she's seen weeping and trembling, while Abrecht is supposed to get at peace with his fiancee. 

Cool, right....?

Edited by cubanmiamiboy

In the PNB version, Bathilde seeks out the mourning Albrecht in the woods at the end of the ballet.

I always think of this as the Forgiveness Sandwich.   Depending on the person in the middle, not always an easy place to spend your days.

3 hours ago, Helene said:

In the PNB version, Bathilde seeks out the mourning Albrecht in the woods at the end of the ballet.

I always think of this as the Forgiveness Sandwich.   Depending on the person in the middle, not always an easy place to spend your days.

How interesting. 

Judging by world Ballet Day rehearsals, it looks like it will be Krysanova-Motta Soares, Ovcharenko-Denisova and Vinogradova-Podubnyak in the lead roles. 

1 hour ago, Deflope said:

Judging by world Ballet Day rehearsals, it looks like it will be Krysanova-Motta Soares, Ovcharenko-Denisova and Vinogradova-Podubnyak in the lead roles. 

Olga Smirnova also said she is to be dancing, although she was not rehearsing because of having a light day before Raymonda...

Casting is up. 

Giselle will be danced by Smirnova on the 21st and 23rd with Belyakov as Albrecht. Krysanova and Ovcharenko on the 22nd & 24th. Nikulina and Tissi on the matinee on the 23rd. 

The men dancing Hans are: Biktimirov, Dorokhov, Savichev. 

Bathilde: Meskova, Kobakhidze, Balukova. 

Two Wilis: Denisova & Zhiganshina, Turazashvili & Vlashinets, Bochkova & Skvortsova

Myrthas are casted, however the dates they're performing have not been assigned: Shipulina, Kovalyova, Fyodorova, and Vlashinets.   With only five shows, and four Myrthas, based on the cast trends of Giselle/Albrecht, Hans, Bathilde, and the Willis (two of the casts getting two shows, one cast getting only one show), I am going to guess Shipulina and Kovalyova get two shows, and either Fyodorova or Vlashinets gets the other. Or maybe I'm wrong entirely. 

The Peasant Pas: Khokhlova & Putintsev, Bochkova & Mkrtchyan, Postnova & Kemenov, Mishina & Poddubnyak, Kokorova & Gusev.