This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Guardian's "best dance of the 21st century"

Syzygy

As part of their ongoing "Best of Culture Series," The Guardian published "The best dance of the 21st century" yesterday. It's a round-up of 20 pieces that have been reviewed by the outlet, ranked. 

I tend to roll my eyes at pieces like this because, you know, art is subjective. But there were a few pieces I had forgotten about or missed — so in that respect it was interesting to scroll through.

The "Number 1" piece is by Crystal Pite. I'll post the blurb on that below. And here's the entire piece, if you care to take a look. 

"Betroffenheit (2015) One of the most thrilling dance stories of the new century has been the rise and rise of Crystal Pite. With a steadfast belief in her own choreographic principles, Pite has created true and startling works for both classical and contemporary companies. Her language has taken flight in epic compositions of abstract dance but, as in her harrowing masterpiece Betroffenheit, it has also plumbed depths of human experience. Created in collaboration with actor and writer Jonathon Young, this 2015 work explores the hellhole of grief into which Young was plunged by the accidental deaths of his daughter, nephew and niece. The pain, humiliation and sheer ugliness of that experience is given searing physical embodiment in Pite’s choreography but so too is the slow process of recovery and redemption. As raw and unflinching as Betroffenheit is, however, you come away from it with a wild feeling of exhilaration – uplifted by its courage, its coruscating beauty and by the faith it affirms in the power of art to address emotions that lie beyond reason or words."