dirac

Friday, September 6

Texas Ballet Theater presents "The Sleeping Beauty."

With its instantly recognizable score and ubiquitous story line, The Sleeping Beauty is a treat for dance lovers and novices alike. Texas Ballet Theater’s version is set to the Tchaikovsky score, performed live by the Dallas Opera Orchestra. TBT’s Artistic Director, Ben Stevenson, O.B.E., choreographs the ballet after the standard Petipa choreography. Its deliciously opulent sets and costumes, sent from the Boston Ballet and designed by David Walker, turn the stage into a spectacle. Stevenson is a master of the art form, and his clever choreography and precise direction transport this classic into the 21st century.

A preview of the Birmingham Royal Ballet's new season.

Giselle follows on, running from 25th September to 2nd November. Current BRB artistic director David Bintley finishes his stint with a fitting legacy with a revival of his production of Giselle, first staged 20 years ago. It features Adolphe Adam’s original score performed by the Royal Ballet Sinfonia, and BRB Principals Momoko Hirata and César Morales as the eponymous heroine and her anti-hero Count Albrecht.

An interview with Svetlana Zakharova by Mark Pullinger for Bachtrack.

Does her status bear an onerous responsibility in terms of her position within the company? “My teacher Ludmila Semenyaka sometimes tells me, ‘Svetlana, you cannot do that – the youngest members of the company are watching you!’ So yes,” she admits modestly, “perhaps some artists do look up to me.” Just as when she was young she would look up to particular dancers? “When I arrived at Mariinsky, there were a lot of really great ballerinas. I would always watch the big established names to see what I could take on board, but also to see what I might do differently.