This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Greatest Ever...

BalletNut

1. 1. The Greatest Ever...

• Petipa
    • Ashton
    • Balanchine
    • Bournonville
    • Fokine
    • Tudor

It would be hard to even decide on a favorite from this list, much less a "best" :) I just don't think one can pick one best out of a list of great choreographers any more than we can say that one great composer or one great artist is "the best". While I may prefer Puccini or Verdi instead of Stravinsky, Monet instead of Picasso, or Tudor instead of Balanchine, all of those are just a matter of personal taste and have nothing to do with their greatness. Sorry, Ballet Nut, just can't make a compeition out of this one. (But then, I tend to have a teeny problem with competitions in the arts anyway ;) )

No subliminal messages in the order of the choreographers, Andrei; I just entered them in the order I thought of them. Really. :D And yes, I like Jerome Robbins too, but the most options for a poll are 6, and it's rather unfortunate. Perhaps my question was a bit vague, so maybe people could say what they think is a great choreographer, or else just their favorite or whatever. And for the record, I don't like competition either. Just wanted to get an idea of what people think. :)

This is a touch choice, like everyone says. Balanchine I think is the greatest choreographer of the 20th century. But, I don't think there would have been a Balanchine without Marius Petipa. Petipa's style and language was the foundation on which Mr. B developed his own style. So, for that reason, I choose Petipa.

I thought of a couple of alternatives:

1. list them in order of preference

2. if you were stranded on a desert island and could only see the ballets of three---who would you choose?

Alas, the more alternatives, the worst it gets.

I'm unfamiliar with all of the choreographers listed, so I selected Petipa. He created the well known classics that most people think of as ballet. I realize that choosing a greatest based on popularity is suspect. On the other hand, creating the ballets that are commonly used to define real ballet ought to count for something.

Cliff

I love Balanchine because he has made the music visible through dance.

Nonetheless, I also value (often highly) the works of all of the other choreographers listed (not to mention some that could not be listed, due to the arbitrary limitation of 6).