PeggyTulle

2019 Giselle

Casting is posted for the beginning of the run:

https://www.bostonballet.org/Home/The-Company/Dancers/2019-2020-Season-Casting/Giselle-Casting

** all casting posted here and elsewhere is subject to change **

OPENING NIGHT (SEP 19, 2019 7:30 PM)

Viktorina Kapitonova (Giselle), Patrick Yocum (Albrecht), Paul Craig (Hilarion), Dawn Atkins (Mythra), Ji Young Chae, Tigran Mkrtchyan (Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 20, 2019 7:30 PM

Lia Cirio (Giselle), Lasha Kohozashvili (Albrecht), Matthew Sattery (Hilarion), Ji Young Chae (Mythra), María Álvarez, Patric Palkens (Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 21, 2019 1:30 PM

Chisako Oga (Giselle), Derek Dunn (Albrecht), Isaac Akiba (Hilarion), Emily Entingh (Mythra), Nina Matiashvili, Irlan Silva(Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 21, 2019 7:30 PM

Viktorina Kapitonova (Giselle), Patrick Yocum (Albrecht), Paul Craig (Hilarion), Dawn Atkins (Mythra), Ji Young Chae, Tigran Mkrtchyan (Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 22, 2019 1:30 PM

Seo Hye Han (Giselle), Patric Palkens (Albrecht), Irlan Silva (Hilarion), Paulina Waski (Mythra), Soo-bin Lee, Junxiong Zhao (Peasant Pas de Deux)

Woah love that so many of the new members are getting cast in main roles. Chisako Oga as Giselle! She's come such a long way... I remember seeing her years ago as an apprentice at the SF Ballet.  So excited for her.

Plus, Soo Bin Lee and Paulina Waski getting cast is great!  Sad that Waski left ABT but it seems to be the right decision for her now that she's getting opportunities here.

I was really hoping Joy Womack would get cast in more things (especially since I believe she performed Myrtha in Russia?), but it seemed on her Instagram she was at the doctor's office - perhaps injured?

9 hours ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Woah love that so many of the new members are getting cast in main roles. Chisako Oga as Giselle! She's come such a long way... I remember seeing her years ago as an apprentice at the SF Ballet.  So excited for her.

Plus, Soo Bin Lee and Paulina Waski getting cast is great!  Sad that Waski left ABT but it seems to be the right decision for her now that she's getting opportunities here.

I was really hoping Joy Womack would get cast in more things (especially since I believe she performed Myrtha in Russia?), but it seemed on her Instagram she was at the doctor's office - perhaps injured?

I'm not sure if we're not allowed to discuss this (I noticed the Womack thread is closed for commenting); social media is obviously a huge marketing tool- and Womacks followers have been brutal lately on her IG; and Womack isn't deleting any of the comments.  Is it possible BB is trying to avoid a spotlight on Womack's life right now?  I'm just thinking, it's a possible explanation.

If Boston Ballet wasn't aware of her social media presence and her fans and detractors, they offered her a contract from under a rock that was covered by an ocean.

Boston Ballet has a lot of dancers whose careers are in their hands, and many a dancer has joined a new company and has been eased in slowly.

On 9/6/2019 at 1:23 PM, Phrenchphry11 said:

Good news indeed for all and agree about Waski leaving ABT, we so enjoyed her dancing and sad she never got to dance her Myrtha there, I believe due to injury but wishing her the best, lucky for Boston indeed 👏! Even better it seems Boston offers discounts for dancers to share, how wonderful that is!

6 hours ago, Balletwannabe said:

I agree they are likely paying very close attention to social media posts.

I noticed she doesn't have Boston Ballet on her Instagram bio. Did she remove it or did she never add it?

27 minutes ago, Emma said:

I noticed she doesn't have Boston Ballet on her Instagram bio. Did she remove it or did she never add it?

I thought she had it in her profile but I could be wrong.

I'm looking forward to seeing Chisako Oga debut in Giselle.  I was worried about a Saturday Matinee cast, the only time I could make it, but I am quite looking forward to seeing her take on the role... she is young but charming and promising in what I could find of her online.

I´m curious how it will go on with Womack at BB. Yes, she stopped posting  - Maybe because of all the negative comments on her weight and her responsibility for other young dancers during the last weeks or (or and) because BB steped in. Her "one of many"-comment with ist "no, you are so much more than that"-answers could have been already too much. Maybe it was the right time to take a break form social media (although I have the feeling she needs it like air to breath).   I guess with her repertoire she could get other roles soon if she can handle all the circumstances and if she doesn´t have a serious health probelm (she was in the hospital lately as it seems). But there are a lot of other very good dancers too at the moment, so... we will see. Maybe she won´t be a choice when it comes to the modern peaces.

Just for info: I think I discovered Joy at one of the BB instagram posts during williis reherseal. So she seems to be fine. BB seems to do really a lot of instagram by itself, at the moment very much on "Giselle".

A friend from Boston just shared this with us, how exciting it must be for Paulina Waski! We will miss her on the NYC stage, but glad she seems to be settling in very nicely and what a wonderful video from the company too 😍 Sure hope the company will tour in NY again! Interesting that Boston does a description of who Myrtha is in the ballet. 👍

http://www.instagram.com/p/B2SeinXjVuJ/

Edited by stuben
inserting image

Updated with casting for the entire run:

** all casting posted here and elsewhere is subject to change **

OPENING NIGHT (SEP 19, 2019 7:30 PM)

Viktorina Kapitonova (Giselle), Patrick Yocum (Albrecht), Paul Craig (Hilarion), Dawn Atkins (Myrtha), Ji Young Chae, Tigran Mkrtchyan (Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 20, 2019 7:30 PM

Lia Cirio (Giselle), Lasha Khozashvili (Albrecht), Matthew Slattery (Hilarion), Ji Young Chae (Myrtha), María Álvarez, Patric Palkens (Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 21, 2019 1:30 PM

Chisako Oga (Giselle), Derek Dunn (Albrecht), Isaac Akiba (Hilarion), Emily Entingh (Myrtha), Nina Matiashvili, Irlan Silva(Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 21, 2019 7:30 PM

Viktorina Kapitonova (Giselle), Patrick Yocum (Albrecht), Paul Craig (Hilarion), Dawn Atkins (Myrtha), Ji Young Chae, Tigran Mkrtchyan (Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 22, 2019 1:30 PM

Seo Hye Han (Giselle), Patric Palkens (Albrecht), Irlan Silva (Hilarion), Paulina Waski (Myrtha), Soo-bin Lee, Junxiong Zhao (Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 26, 2019 7:30 PM

Chisako Oga (Giselle), Derek Dunn (Albrecht), Isaac Akiba (Hilarion), Emily Entingh (Myrtha), Nina Matiashvili, Irlan Silva(Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 27, 2019 7:30 PM

Ji Young Chae (Giselle), Tigran Mkrtchyan (Albrecht), Paul Craig (Hilarion), Dawn Atkins (Myrtha), María Álvarez, Patric Palkens (Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 28, 2019 1:30 PM

Seo Hye Han (Giselle), Patric Palkens (Albrecht), Irlan Silva (Hilarion), Paulina Waski (Myrtha), Emily Entingh, Lawrence Rines (Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 28, 2019 7:30 PM

Lia Cirio (Giselle), Lasha Khozashvili (Albrecht), Matthew Slattery (Hilarion), Ji Young Chae (Myrtha), Soo-bin Lee, Junxiong Zhao (Peasant Pas de Deux)

GET TICKETS

SEP 29, 2019 1:30 PM

Ji Young Chae (Giselle), Tigran Mkrtchyan (Albrecht), Paul Craig (Hilarion), Dawn Atkins (Myrtha), Soo-bin Lee, Junxiong Zhao (Peasant Pas de Deux)

On September 7, 2019 at 11:23 PM, Amy Reusch said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Chisako Oga debut in Giselle.  I was worried about a Saturday Matinee cast, the only time I could make it, but I am quite looking forward to seeing her take on the role... she is young but charming and promising in what I could find of her online.

She has certainly benefitted from the fact that Kuranaga is gone.  Dunn needs a very small partner.  Additionally, many of they young dancers have benefitted from departures from the company this past year.  

Oh, yes, I'd love to see the A & B cast, but I can only go to the first Saturday Matinee and I'm delighted that the Giselle looks so promising... 

On 9/7/2019 at 11:23 PM, Amy Reusch said:

I'm glad to see this recommendation as I'm not familiar with Oga at all.  My first choice is Kapitonova, but can't get to her performances.  I look forwad to any reviews of her perf.  I can't see Cirio as Giselle, and wondered if Ellis would be cast.  I can't see her either though. The last Giselle I saw in Boston was Lorna Feijoo who I thought was wonderful.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:54 AM, its the mom said:

She has certainly benefitted from the fact that Kuranaga is gone.  Dunn needs a very small partner.  Additionally, many of they young dancers have benefitted from departures from the company this past year.  

I'm happy to see Dunn in anything.  True that the young dancers have benefitted from recent departures.