canbelto

Fall Season

1 hour ago, Leah said:

I was in 1st ring too. Did you hear what sounded like someone on speakerphone? It was the ushers on their walkie talkies.

I've had the usher walkie talkie issue in the third ring several times.  YOu would think that ushers would have a little common sense.  

Any insights into why they did not give Gordon Diamonds this season?  I thought he was sensational in his debut last season.  However, he does look odd when paired with Mearns in this ballet.   They need to find more appropriate partners for Gordon - ie, people who are closer in age to him. 

PS:  Emily Kikta gets my vote for a chance at Choleric in the 4T's when it is next revived, based on her outstanding Tall Girl.

Edited by abatt

10 hours ago, cobweb said:

I was very up front orchestra. A phone went off and rang incessantly and took awhile to be turned off during Porte et soupir. 

Somehow that is just perfect. 😁

11 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Somehow that is just perfect. 😁

Depending on the ringtone, it really could have been. But the tune that played was unfortunately not a good fit!

2 hours ago, Leah said:

I was in 1st ring too. Did you hear what sounded like someone on speakerphone? It was the ushers on their walkie talkies.

don't want to go off topic.  Good to know it was the ushers and not audience.  

31 minutes ago, Novice123 said:

don't want to go off topic.  Good to know it was the ushers and not audience.  

I think the disturbances from the ushers are worse than from the audience members.  The ushers are there to enforce rules, not to create disturbances themselves.

53 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Depending on the ringtone, it really could have been. But the tune that played was unfortunately not a good fit!

Yeah, it really wasn't. If it was an old-fashioned phone ringtone, then it would have been hilarious. But it was some musical number totally out of sync with the, um, "score."

14 minutes ago, abatt said:

I think the disturbances from the ushers are worse than from the audience members.  The ushers are there to enforce rules, not to create disturbances themselves.

I have generally found the ushers good about enforcing the rules when a problem is brought to their attention. I have complained to them about texters and talkers, and ushers have intervened - not always effectively, sometimes the people kept texting anyway, but at least the ushers tried and I have the feeling most of them take their job seriously.

21 hours ago, Novice123 said:

Up in the first ring, somebody continued to use their cell phones throughout the entire performance.  

I didn't think it was the ushers.  A phone rang in the First Ring during Porte et Soupir. What is wrong with people? Though, if it was the ushers maybe there was a medical emergency.

11 hours ago, abatt said:

I've had the usher walkie talkie issue in the third ring several times.  YOu would think that ushers would have a little common sense.  

Any insights into why they did not give Gordon Diamonds this season?  I thought he was sensational in his debut last season.  However, he does look odd when paired with Mearns in this ballet.   They need to find more appropriate partners for Gordon - ie, people who are closer in age to him. 

PS:  Emily Kikta gets my vote for a chance at Choleric in the 4T's when it is next revived, based on her outstanding Tall Girl.

I'd be happy to see Emily Kikta as Choleric! It really need a long-legged woman. Ashley Bouder dances it well, but, imo, the impact is lost with someone of her build.

My guess, utter speculation, re Gordon and Diamonds, is that they don't have a good partner for him. Since Janzen/Mearns and Kowroski/Angle did the coachings with Farrell and there aren't that many performances, they got them.  Was Gordon originally scheduled to dance Diamonds with Teresa Reichlen? When she bowed out (never heard why)  she must have had a partner. Maybe Gordon will partner Isabelle LaFreniere when she's back. I haven't heard of many other ladies working on Diamonds.

I was also surprised that Unity Phelan didn't dance in DGV on Sunday. She had been scheduled and then Brittany Pollack replaced her. It seemed odd that Peter Walker was partnering both Phelan and Pollack. Maybe Phelan was casts out of it earlier for some reason.

Anyway, I loved the afternoon. I don't get to see Raymonda Variations that often and I don't remember the ending being so thrilling. I'd never seen Porte et Soupir, and, though it's not a favorite, Balanchine really could make anything.  His use of the different elements in that piece shows real compositional mastery. I also enjoyed DGV. The couples were all quite beautiful, and I kept thinking how good Andy Veyette looks in this kind of work. There's some crazy difficult partnering that all went really smoothly. He's so attentive and focused on the ballerina.

6 minutes ago, BalanchineFan said:

I didn't think it was the ushers.  A phone rang in the First Ring during Porte et Soupir. What is wrong with people? Though, if it was the ushers maybe there was a medical emergency.

There were phones ringing throughout the performance, but at the end of Raymonda Variations when the walkie talkie went off for the nth time, the person in back of me confronted the ushers and one of them apologized and turned it off. If it was an emergency they really did not seem concerned. 

The ushers at the Met and at every other theater in New York are uniformly professional, in my experience, but I have met the rudest people at the Koch.

I'm glad to hear that a confrontation with the ushers was productive.  It's appalling that they were creating such a disturbance.  I would think that a   phone call via the box office or even an email would be helpful.

Sarah Villwock annoucing on instagram that she'll be joining husband Gio Villalobos next month... seems she's ending her tenure with NYCB. What a shame! I have always loved her in demi roles and wish she'd been given more soloist opportunities.

3 hours ago, DC Export said:

Sarah Villwock annoucing on instagram that she'll be joining husband Gio Villalobos next month... seems she's ending her tenure with NYCB. What a shame! I have always loved her in demi roles and wish she'd been given more soloist opportunities.

She also says that she's joining PNB starting with Nutcracker.

I look forward to seeing her dance in Seattle!

And I'm glad she and her husband will be co-located.

Joe Gordon announces that he will replace Huxley tonight, dancing with Fairchild in Raymonda Variations:

Casting for the week is updated. Huxley replaced in Raymonda Variations and Symphony in C. However, it looks like Reichlen is back. 

Also Week 4 casting is up. Olivia MacKinnon debuts in the soloist role in Tchaikovsky Ballet Concerto 2 and also there are debuts in Dances at a Gathering and Everywhere We go. 

I’m excited about seeing Gerrity debut as the purple girl in DaaG. Also glad for Olivia MacKinnon, I really like her and am happy the new administration is giving her opportunities.

One of the most glaring instances of a miscast ballet I’ve ever experienced was ABT’s performance of Valse-Fantasie a number of years ago, with Hee Seo and James Whiteside, one too large, the other too lethargic.  Neither dancer had the technique, speed or precision the ballet requires.  Both were exhausted and looked ghastly, as if they might collapse at any moment.  Thankfully, tonight’s performance of Valse-Fantasie with Daniel Ulbricht and Erica Pereira finally allowed me to experience this ballet as it was intended.  Buoyant and fluid, both flew across the stage as if it were the easiest thing in the world.  Until tonight, I’d no idea how light and joyous this ballet could be.  It was a pleasure to see two great Balanchine artists perform the choreography so beautifully.  Now I understand!  My thanks!

The rest of tonight’s performances just got better and better. This was my first viewing of Kammermusik No. 2, and I loved it.  It’s sort of my childhood concept of a Balanchine ballet, and combined with the beautiful Hindemith score, I just relaxed as a soft wave of modernist nostalgia washed over me.  The four soloists, Emilie Gerrity, Unity Phelan, Jovani Furlan and Peter Walker, were superb. Emilie Gerrity was marvelous tonight, and I hope to see more of her in the future.

How appropriate to see Union Jack tonight, on the same day the British Parliament reconvened in the midst of their nation’s own political crisis.  What a great ballet!  The standouts for me were Sterling Hyltin (Dress MacDonald), Sara Mearns (MacDonald of Sleat), and Teresa Reichlin (WRENS).  I thought Hyltin was especially outstanding; she danced with great panache and verve, both in Rubies last week as well as tonight.

I wish I had the time to see this program again; it was a real knockout performance and an absolute pleasure.  So enjoying NYC Ballet’s fall season! 

7 hours ago, laurel said:

One of the most glaring instances of a miscast ballet I’ve ever experienced was ABT’s performance of Valse-Fantasie a number of years ago, with Hee Seo and James Whiteside

This is so horrifying that I would think you were making it up, if a friend hadn’t told me the same thing during intermission last night. OMG I just can’t even! In addition to the flaws you mention, I’d add they each, in their separate ways, have a fundamentally wrong temperament for Valse Fantaisie. 
Ulbricht and Pereira certainly embody more of the spirit of the piece, but I find Pereira lacking in impact. My eyes kept going to the ladies behind her, especially Kristen Segin and Emma Von Enck, who have more substantive presence. New casting idea for this piece: Emma Von Enck and Roman Mejia. I bet these two would look great together. 
I was thrilled to see Union Jack again. Mr Cobweb, who had never seen it before, was fascinated. I am on the subway and about to lose my connection. Will report more later. 

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

This is so horrifying that I would think you were making it up, if a friend hadn’t told me the same thing during intermission last night. OMG I just can’t even! In addition to the flaws you mention, I’d add they each, in their separate ways, have a fundamentally wrong temperament for Valse Fantaisie. 
Ulbricht and Pereira certainly embody more of the spirit of the piece, but I find Pereira lacking in impact. My eyes kept going to the ladies behind her, especially Kristen Segin and Emma Von Enck, who have more substantive presence. New casting idea for this piece: Emma Von Enck and Roman Mejia. I bet these two would look great together. 
I was thrilled to see Union Jack again. Mr Cobweb, who had never seen it before, was fascinated. I am on the subway and about to lose my connection. Will report more later. 

I like Emma Von Enck, but I have thought that Alston Macgill and Roman would make a fabulous pair. Alston and Roman share such a natural and dynamic energy.

Edited by Brook703

Who is dancing MacDonald of Sleat in the other cast? Is that Ashley Bouder's role?

I'll be at the Oct. 1 performance. I haven't been in the US for over 10 years, and I'm so excited. I can only get to one NYCB show, and I'm so glad it's this all-Balanchine, well-balanced, million featured dancers program!

21 minutes ago, Petra said:

Who is dancing MacDonald of Sleat in the other cast? Is that Ashley Bouder's role?

I believe that Bouder does RCAF/WRENS. The first cast Macdonald of Sleat is Sara Mearns, and then Unity Phelan debuts next week.

Just got back from tonight's performance with the Lovette and Liang ballets. 

The program opened with a very nice Opus 19. Garcia had his normal lovely stage presence and at moments reminded me of Peter Boal. 

The two new ballets were after the first interval with a (very short) pause in between. Lauren Lovette's ballet was not great.

I should state up front that it contained two of my pet peeves: singing/speaking from dancers and an on-stage costume change. It might not be very nice of me but if I want to hear from my dancers I will go to Broadway instead. Overall, the ballet seemed overwhelmed by the size of the cast and the rigid, overwrought Zac Posen costumes. It's never a good sign when your mind starts recasting the ballet halfway through, but that's what I did. The most compelling dancer in the piece was Taylor Stanley, and I thought he should dance the Pazcoguin role. Though I liked her look (as I have a pixie cut and often wear tuxedo shirts) I thought the gender-bending element felt tacked-on. The PDD with Unity did not work at all. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the Liang -- and in contrast, the costumes were wonderful (I want that skirt) and the frou-frou disappeared when you wanted to see their lines. Maria/Tyler were lovely, but I think the partnership of Sara/Russell has now hit a new level. They seem very in tune. There was a lovely motif of a touch on the upper arm that really resonated with me. We also got a major hot-dog role for Roman Mejia which got me thinking about the T&V we will surely see in a few years' time with Roman and Indiana -- right?

As for Symphony in C -- I think everyone had a late night last night. Even my beloved Joe Gordon looked a little off in the 4th Movement (though the 1st movement with Joseph/Megan was the best-danced movement tonight). The second movement was not one for the ages. I am very fond of Jared Angle--and loved Jock Soto when he was a similar body type late in his career -- but I have to say I think retirement approaches. Tess Reichlen seemed remote and unengaged. I always think with Symphony in C that the 2nd movement sets the bar for the rest of the ballet and it was just lackluster tonight. 3rd movement saw a nice NYC debut for Baily Jones and a so-so performance from Villarini-Velez who should really kill in this role. He looks a little out of shape. The 4th felt a bit messy and didn't have that breathless sense of anticipation during the race to the end. I mean -- it's still Symphony in C so you still love it -- but tonight with reservations.

Does anyone agree or am I being really hard on some incredible dancers? 

Edited by bellawood
Copy editing!