OOH, fun! I thought Emily Kikta was starting to make the role her own, but she's not alone. NYCB has plenty of tall, leggy wonderful dancers for Rubies.

Thanks for posting nysusan!!

I think this is a different excerpt of Nadon at the beginning of Rubies, off of NYCB's Twitter account

https://twitter.com/nycballet/status/1175122454349586432?s=20

Edited by BalanchineFan

I was at Jewels last night (Friday), and I think it was, collectively, one of the finest performances of it I have seen. Emeralds is a quiet beauty. Bouder/Stanley danced the first principal couple, and Taylor Stanley was excellent. He has such a sensitive way of moving that amplified the atmosphere of the ballet. Having never seen Ashley in this role, I didn't know what to expect. Apart from the unfortunate return of the squeaky shoes (really, someone who dances, tell me what's going on there), she was quite lovely and restrained. I was missing Tiler Peck but not as much as I thought I would! I thought Megan LeCrone acquitted herself admirably but wish she would make the clock motion in the walking pas more pronounced. 

Rubies was, in a word, boffo. It was goosebump-level thrilling from start to finish. Mira Nadon looked great. Though, as we know, new to the role and only a year into company life, she dances with presence and personality. Your eyes don't leave her. Fairchild/Garcia were, frankly, amazing. I know there was a lot of new coaching behind the scenes and man has it paid off. She has so much command now -- I can hardly believe this is the same perfect-but-vanilla dancer I used to watch half a decade ago. He's in great form and was having an absolute blast. The whole cast brought the house down.

I (no surprise) had high expectations for Sara Mearns in Diamonds. She was stunning. I saw her dance this previously a year ago, partnered by Joe Gordon in his debut (I, unfortunately, missed the post-Farrell coaching performances in the spring). In my view, she let herself move more slowly then she used to in the PPD -- her positions unfurled and presented themselves. She is obviously very comfortable with Russell Janzen, who looked appropriately noble and handsome in this. I thought he had some shaky outings last year and felt he was in better form last night. His variations were very secure. 

All in all, one of the best ways to spend 2.5 hours on the planet. Seeing Raymonda, etc. on Sunday so will report in then. 

Last night's Diamonds pas de deux (and scherzo) was moving and exhilarating. As it began I found myself dissatisfied, wishing I could see Kowroski and Angle again, but Sara Mearns with her extraordinary power and a technique that seems stronger than ever, demolished memories of Tuesday night's performance. In a way she is so forceful it's shocking, except it draws you in so grippingly. I say she demolished memories of Tuesday night, but only temporarily. Kowroski and Angle were far better in their communication, the eye contact really adds something great. Right now we have two great interpreters of this role, and we're so lucky. 

In Emeralds, Bouder and Stanley were a great improvement on Stafford and Ramasar, but after seeing Unity Phelan in the "walking" role, Megan LeCrone just didn't measure up. Her arms are nowhere near as flud and expressive as Phelan's, and Phelan's facial expressions have more depth. In the pas de trois, I loved Roman Mejia. He just lights up the stage, confident, authoritative, seeming so lively and responsive. I can't wait to see him (one day soon, I hope!) take on the male role in Rubies. 

In Rubies, I thought Mira Nadon made a good start but has a lot of work to do, in this role and in general. She seemed tentative and uncertain, not bold and definite enough. She doesn't yet seem completely in control of her limbs. Megan Fairchild looked sensational, with authority and control down to the fingertips. Nadon needs to grow in that kind of command. Also the big second position plie was half-baked. She has many great qualities and I look forward to seeing her continue to grow. But right now for the Tall Girl, it's Kikta Kikta Kikta. 

I love Jewels. It shows Balanchine's incredible range and also his humanity. He presents three completely different worldviews, and makes the case for each of them as the right way to live. Tremendous sympathy for three totally different worlds. 

Thanks to all of you who weighed in on the Jewels performances that followed the one I saw on Tuesday evening. I wish I could have seen them all, especially Megan Fairchild in Rubies and Sara Mearns in Diamonds. But I did see Sterling Hyltin in Rubies—no words can describe how fantastic she is in this role—and Maria and Tyler in Diamonds. Looking forward to hearing your reviews of the other programs this fall. 

Saw Jewels this afternoon. Phelan was absolutely gorgeous in Emeralds -- lush, lyrical, musical -- there was an otherworldly quality to her dancing. Hyltin was, in my opinion, absolute perfection in Rubies. Her dancing transcended ballet technique and was just pure movement to music. A joy to witness. Kikta was powerful and strong as the Rubies tall girl. She dances so big and expands through space. Loved seeing her take command of that role with such confidence. And finally Kowroski and Angle -- what a pair! The communication between them and the vulnerability they showed, especially Kowroski, was so, so moving.  I've seen several other companies dance Jewels, and it's always beautiful, but no one does it quite like NYCB. 

Beautiful Jewels tonight. Emeralds had some wobbles -- partnering as well as solo dancing -- but was strong overall. I found Gerrity (female soloist) more musical and compelling than King, who danced the lead, especially her pas de deux with Scordato. Gerrity seemed to have more moments of otherworldly "depth" than King. Applebaum looked great (long, elegant lines), as did Hoxha, despite a sloppy pirouette finish at the end of his solo. McKinnon and Hutsell were high-energy and in sync. 

Kikta and Hyltin were absolutely brilliant in Rubies, as everyone has described of their past performances this week. Veyette isn't the most elegant dancer at this point in his career but he danced with verve and had strong chemistry with Hyltin. He looked like he was having fun, and he made Hyltin look totally at ease in the complex partnering. Kikta has such clean technique (perfect pirouettes) and truly dominated the stage every time she was on it. I've always appreciated Hyltin's dancing but she's never WOWed me to the extent she did last night. Every movement she made looked inevitably paired to the music, especially her sharp turns. 

What to say of Diamonds? Mearns and Janzen were mesmerizing and flawless to my eyes. A perfect showcase for Mearns' big, brilliant dancing and stellar technique, and another reminder of why she's one of my favorite dancers. When he bent down to kiss her hand at the end of the pas de deux you could have cried. 

Edited by JuliaJ
elaboration

Due to a series of unfortunate events I was only able to make it to one Jewels this season(yesterday afternoon's)  but I thought Unity Phelan was absolutely divine as the Walking Girl in Emeralds and the whole Rubies cast was great, with Emily Kikta dazzling as the Tall Girl and Sterling Hyltin really flirty and fun in the Patricia McBride role. I was a little disappointed in the Kowroski/Angle Diamonds. I thought Maria was good but she wasn't nearly as good as the Diamonds I saw her do this past spring. She just seemed a little more careful.

15 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Due to a series of unfortunate events I was only able to make it to one Jewels this season(yesterday afternoon's)  but I thought Unity Phelan was absolutely divine as the Walking Girl in Emeralds and the whole Rubies cast was great, with Emily Kikta dazzling as the Tall Girl and Sterling Hyltin really flirty and fun in the Patricia McBride role. I was a little disappointed in the Kowroski/Angle Diamonds. I thought Maria was good but she wasn't nearly as good as the Diamonds I saw her do this past spring. She just seemed a little more careful.

Although opening night (Tuesday) Maria was excellent, I agree that she seemed a little more careful than she had in last spring’s performance. Maybe that was her plan because she had so many performances in the role, all packed into this week. I just want to add another shoutout to Tyler Angle, whose performance many posters here found superlative. I agree—he really inhabited and radiated the noble role. A great role model for younger, aspiring male dancers in the company. 

Kowroski may have been a bit careful, but I thought it was a gorgeous performance, from both her and Angle. I didn't catch any missteps.

Abi Stafford's performance, on the other hand, had a lot of very small ones. She repeatedly had to adjust her hands on Ramasar's arms, etc. during their two duets, and she even had to re-place one of her feet on the walking opening of the PDD. Nothing major, but not ideal. Ramasar was by far the lovelier dancer. He should have had her solo, with his superior port de bras. Someone earlier mentioned he seemed cold, but I didn't get that — and especially not in his solos in the penultimate movement.

Unity Phelan was excellent. If I remember correctly, last year Ashley Laracey (whom I otherwise loved in the role) was too direct in registering the audience, whereas Phelan was much more in her own world — and could have been even more so, in my opinion. That solo comes off best when it's performed that way, I think. (I always think of the little curtsies as being to imagined or remembered gentlemen.)

Edited by nanushka

I went to Jewels last night and here are some brief thoughts: 

Gerrity was excellent in her debut in Emeralds. I couldn’t help but compare her to Phelan, though, whose debut I saw last year. I think I prefer Phelan, who is far more ethereal while Gerrity is very grounded. But she was very lovely and graceful, and I think is probably one of the most versatile female dancers NYCB has at the moment. Hopefully she gets a promotion soon, though I think Woodward and Phelan are ahead of her in line.

Rubies was the strongest performance of the night. I don’t think I can add to anything else that has been said, except I find it astonishing that Kikta is still in the corps.

Mearns was much, much improved since I saw her in Diamonds last year. She was more subdued, in a good way. I think along with Farrell’s coaching Russell Janzen made a difference; he is a much better partner for her than Gordon, whom she overpowered. 

Edited by Leah

Saw Saturday's Jewels matinee, what a great start to the season!

I felt Abi was really miscast in Emeralds. She doesn't have the exceptional port de bras or lush quality to her dancing that Emeralds requires. I didn't enjoy watching her and Amar at all and couldn't wait for them to get off stage and make room for Unity and Ask, who were great. I also really enjoyed Georgina. And a shout out is due to India Bradley, who has much refined her dancing since the spring.

In the 15 years I've been attending City Ballet performances I've never seen someone do Rubies better than Sterling. She just crackles with energy, managing to be both playful and utterly in control. She perfectly punctuates each step yet is so fleet and quick, and Veyette was a great foil to her. Lots of spark between them. I thought Emily Kikta gave a good performance; I haven't followed her closely and was surprised to see she's still in the corps. But to me she lacked some of the sharpness and definition that the strongest interpreters of the role have (I'm thinking of Teresa Reichlen, for example). At times she looked rushed and the steps didn't have the crispness of Sterling's.

Diamonds was what I was most looking forward to seeing, and Maria and Jared did not disappoint. Maria's dancing has such a beautiful, crystalline quality: every step is so clear, so fully articulated. She seemed totally in command of time, as though she was the axis of her own world. Her performance really reminded me of how Farrell describes the diamonds ballerina as "the most powerful woman in the world". She was really regal, but there was also vulnerability in those slowly unfurling supported backbends. I've always felt Maria was regal in this role, but in this performance she felt not just queenly but actually powerful, and to have independence and authority rather than the romantic, Swan-Queen quality that some dancers bring to the role.  It was just a gorgeous, totally entrancing performance where I was hanging on every little movement. It amazes me that this far into her career Maria is still uncovering new facets to some of her most-performed roles.

Edited by MarzipanShepherdess

Joseph Gordon was amazing in his Raymonda Variations debut. It wasn't the cleanest performance, but it was so full of energy, style, speed, grace, personality. I was floored. And at times giddy with excitement.

Edited by nanushka

29 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Joseph Gordon was amazing in his Raymonda Variations debut. It wasn't the cleanest performance, but it was so full of energy, style, speed, grace, personality. I was floored. And at times giddy with excitement.

He’s really wonderful. I agree it wasn’t as polished as some of his other debuts — Oberon, for instance — but he can make his saves graceful! I thought Alston Macgill was adorable in her variation. All those variations just look brutal to do. 

Raymonda was fantastic, and Gordon and Bouder (still a bit squeaky, alas) were amazing together. Of the variations I thought Macgill and Emma von Enck were the best. 

The ushers nearly ruined the whole thing though; they chatted and kept their walkie talkies on for the entire ballet. Where on earth does the Koch get these people? 

Edited by Leah

I found the afternoon's performance a mixed bag, sort of an odd mismatched program with nothing that I really loved, aside from some individual performances. Joseph Gordon in Raymonda Variations was radiant and poised as always, but as noted not as polished as he usually is. Also I noticed some awkward partnering moments with Bouder, although to be fair, I was sitting WAY up close and maybe just noticed more than I usually would. Emma von Enck particularly stood out to me among the soloists, with energy, style, and crispness radiating out to the audience. Lydia Wellington has a rich and mature quality that the younger ones lack. Olivia MacKinnon looked overburdened by her variation, and didn't look like she was having a very good time. 

This is the second time I've seen Variations pour une porte et un soupir, the first time being with Mearns. It is a fascinating and theatrical piece, with two veteran performers, Kowroski and Ulbricht, who gave it their all. I feel sure it could not be done any better. I would enjoy seeing it again, but only if there were other things on the program I wanted to see. 

DGV. I had seen this once or twice last time it was in the rep, several years back. With the memory of Kowroski and her long limbs being carried out overhead Tyler Angle, the much shorter limbs of Lauren Lovette didn't quite measure up. I don't know. I like the piece, and despite the repetitive bombastic music, I couldn't help but get into it. But still I was left kind of blah. Looking forward to the all-Balanchine program this week. Hello, Union Jack!

Bouder’s squeaking is ridiculous. Surely there’s something she could do about that, no? I loved her performance but it was seriously detracting and just a turnoff.

7 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Bouder’s squeaking is ridiculous. Surely there’s something she could do about that, no? I loved her performance but it was seriously detracting and just a turnoff.

I noticed there was a lot of shoe squeaking in the corps yesterday for both Emeralds and Diamonds. Maybe it's a rosin they're putting on their pointe shoes to avoid slipping?

1 minute ago, canbelto said:

I noticed there was a lot of shoe squeaking in the corps yesterday for both Emeralds and Diamonds. Maybe it's a rosin they're putting on their pointe shoes to avoid slipping?

Could be. No one seems anywhere near as squeaky as she does though. Or maybe it’s particularly noticeable in solos and PdDs

33 minutes ago, Leah said:

Raymonda was fantastic, and Gordon and Bouder (still a bit squeaky, alas) were amazing together. Of the variations I thought Macgill and Emma von Enck were the best. 

The ushers nearly ruined the whole thing though; they chatted and kept their walkie talkies on for the entire ballet. Where on earth does the Koch get these people? 

I agree! I liked Macgill and VonEnck the best of the variations. Alston Macgill is one of my favorites to watch right now! 

1 hour ago, Leah said:

Up in the first ring, somebody continued to use their cell phones throughout the entire performance.  

3 minutes ago, Novice123 said:

Up in the first ring, somebody continued to use their cell phones throughout the entire performance.  

Texting or talking on the phone? (Both would make me want to scream!)

I was very up front orchestra. A phone went off and rang incessantly and took awhile to be turned off during Porte et soupir. 

8 hours ago, cobweb said:

I was very up front orchestra. A phone went off and rang incessantly and took awhile to be turned off during Porte et soupir. 

:offtopic:I do understand that you may forget to turn off your mobile. It can happen to anyone for several reasons. But texting or talking during a performance or concert is something I really don't  get. In the first place, why are you attending if you are more interested in something else? And in case it's an emergency, just leave the place and talk/text as much as needed. Not to mention how much you disturb those people around you.

9 hours ago, Novice123 said:

I was in 1st ring too. Did you hear what sounded like someone on speakerphone? It was the ushers on their walkie talkies.