Woodward’s out for the week again.  Jones is doing 3rd movement instead. She’s a good dancer but I dislike her facial expressions. 

I’m glad to see Mary McKinnon getting a featured role in Lovette’s piece. She really stands out from the rest of the corps.

.... and Week 1 casting is updated. Harrison Ball is indeed out. The casting shuffling is a little confusing, but it looks like a debut for Roman Mejia in Emeralds was added. 

Fairchild and Veyette are paired together in the middle section of Union Jack.  I guess when duty calls, you have to put the bad blood behind you. 

15 hours ago, nanushka said:

Week two casting is finally up.

Surprised and a bit disappointed that Stanley’s not yet cast in Opus 19/The Dreamer (especially since he was recently featured in a promo video for the ballet). Maybe later in the season?

He’s in Lovette’s piece which comes right  afterwards on the program, so maybe he doesn’t want to wear himself out.

I am looking forward to seeing Alston Macgill dance one of the Raymonda variations. I saw her as Scotch Girl in the Spring Season and found her to be absolutely charming with impeccable technique. I hope she continues to get featured roles.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, bellawood said:

On Jovani Furlan's Instagram stories he says, due to a casting change, he will be debuting in DGV on the 18th with Ashley Bouder — I guess Harrison Ball is out? I hope it’s nothing serious as he had an incredible spring.

I am very excited about the addition of Jovani - I saw him perform at the Nantucket Dance festival a few years back and he was lovely.  I hope NYCB finds more tall men to fill the roster soon, as well.  

For those who might have missed it, there's a few hours left to watch part of the rehearsal for DGV on NYCB's instagram that was aired live yesterday afternoon. Lots of goodies, including Lovette/Veyette, Walker/Pollack and the truly-DGV coda. Wheeldon is there to stage it. 

2 hours ago, bellawood said:

For those who might have missed it, there's a few hours left to watch part of the rehearsal for DGV on NYCB's instagram that was aired live yesterday afternoon. Lots of goodies, including Lovette/Veyette, Walker/Pollack and the truly-DGV coda. Wheeldon is there to stage it. 

Just watched it! I always love watching the behind the scenes rehearsals - I hope they keep doing more of them.  

Lauren Lovette looked beautiful and I thought Megan Fairchild looked in very good form as well! Obviously all are so talented.

Edited by GB1216
Added sentence

The DGV rehearsal is still on NYCB’s Facebook page. I enjoy the inside look at the rehearsal process. They are such hardworking artists!

On 9/13/2019 at 11:55 AM, bellawood said:

The FB rehearsal video is great. Thank you to whoever posted about it first.

Peter Walker looks transformed. Was that him with the beard? Who's the woman in the pink tights and burgundy leo who groans at the end?

5 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

Peter Walker looks transformed. Was that him with the beard? Who's the woman in the pink tights and burgundy leo who groans at the end?

I believe it's Megan Fairchild. 

I am also pretty sure it's Peter Walker with the beard and long hair tied in a bun. It looks like he's dancing with Pollack? It took me a while to make sure it was him as well.

Edited by sohalia

15 hours ago, sohalia said:

I believe it's Megan Fairchild. 

I am also pretty sure it's Peter Walker with the beard and long hair tied in a bun. It looks like he's dancing with Pollack? It took me a while to make sure it was him as well.

I think you're right about Megan Fairchild. I heard she has blonde highlights now (or maybe it's just sun).  I'm so excited that I get to see this cast! (though the other cast also looks good on paper). I can't wait for the opening tomorrow.

Casting is updated for the first week. Reichlen is out of Diamonds and DGV, replaced by Mearns in both.

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

Casting is updated for the first week. Reichlen is out of Diamonds and DGV, replaced by Mearns in both.

Oh no! Reichlen is my favorite Diamonds.

Woodward could have had an injury that kept her out for a few weeks. I wouldn’t assume they didn’t cast her for no reason. Good to see new casting in the Costermonger pdd, I can envision Lovette and Ulbricht being really charming. Better than seeing Fairchild and Veyette when half the audience knows the back story. 

1 hour ago, Leah said:

Week Three: https://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/Press/Casting/NYCB-Casting_October-1-6-2019_lobby.pdf

Woodward's back. So they just didn't cast her for the first two weeks, which doesn't make her promotion chances look good. Mejia debuts in Valse Fantaisie, and I think Unity Phelan does Macdonald of Sleat.

She mentioned being in the ICU a few weeks ago so they might have let her rest for the first two weeks of the season.

Oh, okay. Glad she seems to be feeling better. I saw her mention going to the hospital but then she was posting a lot of pictures and videos from inside NYCB, so it was confusing.

I’m very much hoping she and Phelan get promoted at the end of the season. It’s been more than four years since there was a new female principal.

I don’t imagine a two-week absence as having a major impact on Woodward’s promotion potential, after years of brilliant dancing from her (whatever the reason for the absence).

She certainly would have been a welcome addition to tonight’s Emeralds, ideally in place of the absolutely lackluster Stafford, who brought nothing to the role. 

Edited by fondoffouettes

Was Abi Stafford casted as much last year? I feel like there was a long period where I never saw her name—was she injured?

Edited by wonderwall

3 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Was Abi Stafford casted as much last year? I feel like there was a long period where I never saw her name—was she injured?

Pretty sure she danced Emeralds opening night 2018 as well.

Overall it was a pretty satisfying opening night of Jewels. I felt the weak link was Emeralds, which just didn't fully come to life for me. As I've noted above, Stafford is woefully ill-suited to the first ballerina role. Her back is stiff, her port de bras clunky, and she brings no lyricism -- let alone any sort of rapturous qualities -- to the role. It makes NO SENSE to me that she was cast again in this role. Phelan had all that Stafford was lacking and gave a very strong performance, if perhaps less transporting than Laracey last season. I was so impressed with Villarini-Velez; gorgeous jumps and spins and such stage presence. I'd love to see more of him. It was nice to see Ramasar in Emeralds again, and he looked in good form. And la Cour's role, consisting mostly of partnering, suited him well at this stage of this career.

Rubies was superb. I've mostly seen Bouder in the ballerina role, so I was delighted to get the chance to see Hyltin. She was fantastic! Sometimes with Bouder I feel as if I'm just watching a series of striking images and tricky moves, milked for effect; but with Hyltin, the steps felt so fresh and in service of the music, not just a means for the dancer to simply show off. Veyette's hiatus last winter season seems to have done wonders for him. No, it wasn't whiz-bang bravura dancing, but he looked fresher than I've seen him in years; he didn't have that unfocused, worn-out quality that's characterized his dancing for the past few years. It was very buoyant, focused dancing. Lastly, Kikta is a superb tall girl, perhaps even better now than in her debut last year. 

Kowroski and Angle delivered one of the most exquisite pas de deux in Diamonds I've ever seen. I do think Kowroski has more depth now than before her coaching by Farrell; what stuck me was the more intense connection with her partner, and the increased interaction (even if just with their eyes) between the two dancers. Like last year, Kowroski's dancing wasn't really fast or incisive enough in the scherzo, and there were some turns that didn't look super secure.  But overall, there's still much to appreciate about Kowroski in this role, and not just in the pas de deux. 

Edited by fondoffouettes