3 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

This old thread from his promotion to soloist seems to suggest that Clay is his middle name and what he uses in place of a last name on social media:

Oh ok. I just looked more into the thread and he explains his last name this way:

adrianclay

@susanbarbash Danchig is inherited from my Jewish maternal side from (roughly) Lithuania. Waring is from the Mayflower-adjacent English folks on my father’s side.

8 minutes ago, BLalo said:

Yes. I didn’t think it was unknown. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-barrelled_name

Maybe just by me! (And Adrian, it would seem.) Thanks for the link.

I guess in my experience such names are common enough that I just wouldn't ever think to comment on them in the way Macaulay has, then.

Edited by nanushka

27 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Maybe just by me! (And Adrian, it would seem.) Thanks for the link.

I guess in my experience such names are common enough that I just wouldn't ever think to comment on them in the way Macaulay has, then.

I don’t think he was making any kind of comment. He finds AD-W’s name difficult to pronounce so instead he calls him Double-Barreled, probably because he thinks it’s witty because his surname is literally a double-barreled surname. 

15 minutes ago, BLalo said:

I don’t think he was making any kind of comment. He finds AD-W’s name difficult to pronounce so instead he calls him Double-Barreled, probably because he thinks it’s witty because his surname is literally a double-barreled surname. 

Right. I think that in itself is a type of (implicit) comment, of a sort.

Edited by nanushka

14 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

After hearing for years that Balanchine established the aesthetic for thin, willowy dancers, I was amazed when I first started watching old videos of NYCB and saw such a diversity of body types represented, and far fewer women who were stick thin than we might see today. 

Even Suzanne Farrell has said that there's been too much sameness in body type since Balanchine died, which implies that there was more variety before he died.

12 hours ago, BLalo said:

Honestly I don’t think “double-barreled” was meant as any kind of description for AD-W at all, I think “double-barreled” is just a term for that type of surname.

For example Jackson-Barrett is double-barreled surname. 

When I read Danchig-Waring's reference to "double-barreled," I immediately though of "barrel-chested":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_chest

16 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

To be fair, we truly don't know what Macaulay meant by "Double-Barrelled" and Danchig-Waring himself says he's not sure if it's intended as a comment about his physique. It could be a compliment, an insult or just plain dumb. But it obviously triggered what I think is a perfectly valid response.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what Macaulay meant. It's rude for anyone to refuse to refer to someone by their name, and worse than rude for a person of Macaulay's public prominence to do so. He's a journalist: part of his job is learning how to pronounce the names of the artists he writes about. He's also a human being and part of that job is according every other human being the dignity that is their right, rather than treating them as vessels for his wit. 

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

25 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Honestly, it doesn't matter what Macaulay meant. It's rude for anyone to refuse to refer to someone by their name, and worse than rude for a person of Macaulay's public prominence to do so. He's a journalist: part of his job is learning how to pronounce the names of the artists he writes about. He's also a human being and part of that job is according every other human being the dignity that is their right, rather than treating them as vessels for his wit. 

I don’t disagree; it’s rude and self-indulgent. Also, he’s referring to his last name IN PRINT, so pronunciation is truly irrelevant. I wonder if Macaulay feels freer to make these sorts of comments now that he’s a freelancer.

What’s odd is that I remember multiple instances of Macaulay indicating phonetic spellings of artists’ names in his social media posts to inform his readers of their pronunciation. And I could be misremembering, but hasn’t he commented on the way ballet titles like Serenade and Allegro Brillante are pronounced?