Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Indiana Woodward is not cast at all in the first week. I was hoping she’d debut in the Verdy role in Emeralds since Tiler Peck is out. She did post an Instagram story recently in Urgent Care, so hopefully nothing’s wrong. I’m glad to see Mira Nadon getting two debuts, especially one as the tall girl in Rubies! Kretzschmar was awful last year IMO so it’s good to see Nadon getting a crack at it. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, canbelto, for the link to the first week’s casting. For me, a mixed bag. I have tickets to Jewels opening night and am happy to see Hilton, whom I have not seen in Jewels before. I hope Veyette is in shape.  Last spring I saw Kowroski and Angle in Diamonds—great adagio—but hoped to see Reichlen or Mearns this time. Oh well. Also, I am not a big fan of Abi Stafford—I find her dancing bland. But the whole of the production and the music are exhilarating. And I am happy my summer ballet drought will be over! 

Edited by CTballetfan
Spelling error

Share this post


Link to post

I am glad to see Mira Nadon getting a big opportunity in Rubies, and also I can't wait to see Emily Kikta in this role again. Unfortunately, Isabella LaFreniere must be injured if she is not dancing it. I also look forward to seeing new soloist Jovani Furlan. 

Share this post


Link to post

Neither Garcia nor Veyette are up to the challenges of the male lead in Rubies at this stage of their careers. Time for some new blood.  Ulbricht?  Mejia?

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, abatt said:

Neither Garcia nor Veyette are up to the challenges of the male lead in Rubies at this stage of their careers. Time for some new blood.  Ulbricht?  Mejia?

Mejia is the obvious choice here. When are they going to promote him?? Also maybe Sebastian Villarini-Velez?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, abatt said:

Neither Garcia nor Veyette are up to the challenges of the male lead in Rubies at this stage of their careers. Time for some new blood.  Ulbricht?  Mejia?

I'm kind of shocked they were both cast, especially Veyette, as it seemed management was finally phasing him out of the roles for which he is no longer suited.

I feel like the last thing I need to see is Stafford in Emeralds (bland pretty much sums it up), but oh well. I look forward to seeing Ramasar in that ballet again.

Very excited to see Kikta again! Does this mean Reichlen has probably retired the role? I'll savor my memories of Reichlen as the Tall Girl, but I'd love to see her one last time.

Edited by fondoffouettes

Share this post


Link to post

For what it's worth, Veyette wasn't bad in last year's Rubies, although he did appear tired at the end of the show. He was also excellent in last spring's Stars and Stripes. I don't think he's on his way out anytime soon, although I too would like to see younger dancers tackle the part.

Share this post


Link to post

I do recall reports of Veyette looking pretty decent last year (don't think I saw him in much), though prior to that he was looking in much worse shape.

I believe it was at one of the Jewels anniversary performances that I saw him looking really bad — the jogging sequence in particular felt cringeworthy, as he attempted to lead much younger dancers around the stage during a performance in which he was not at all up to the physical requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/3/2019 at 5:29 PM, CTballetfan said:

Thanks, canbelto, for the link to the first week’s casting. For me, a mixed bag. I have tickets to Jewels opening night and am happy to see Hilton, whom I have not seen in Jewels before. I hope Veyette is in shape.  Last spring I saw Kowroski and Angle in Diamonds—great adagio—but hoped to see Reichlen or Mearns this time. Oh well. Also, I am not a big fan of Abi Stafford—I find her dancing bland. But the whole of the production and the music are exhilarating. And I am happy my summer ballet drought will be over! 

Very much agree with this assessment.  Last time I saw Jewels, I too saw Stafford and Kowroski and have tickets for opening night as well.  Was definitely hoping for Mearns in diamonds and someone else for emeralds as opposed to Stafford.  I remember her dancing was lovely but not captivating as opposed to the others.  In looking at the cast lists, the second cast of bouder/Fairchild/Reichlen feels like a more interesting grouping.  

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, GB1216 said:

Very much agree with this assessment.  Last time I saw Jewels, I too saw Stafford and Kowroski and have tickets for opening night as well.  Was definitely hoping for Mearns in diamonds and someone else for emeralds as opposed to Stafford.  I remember her dancing was lovely but not captivating as opposed to the others.  In looking at the cast lists, the second cast of bouder/Fairchild/Reichlen feels like a more interesting grouping.  

I'm seeing the first cast as well, and have some of the same feelings. I'm looking forward to seeing Ball and Phelan in Emeralds, though, and Kikta and Hyltin in Rubies (especially since I've never seen the latter in that) — and I expect Kowroski's Diamonds PDD especially will be gorgeous. In my eyes, there's no one standout all-around best cast, so I'm reasonably satisfied.

That's what Balanchine programs are so often like for me at NYCB, especially when I'm only seeing one iteration. I always feel I'm getting to see so much and yet missing so much at the same time! Not complaining, though — it's a sign of a strong company and good programming.

Edited by nanushka

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, nanushka said:

I'm seeing the first cast as well, and have some of the same feelings. I'm looking forward to seeing Ball and Phelan in Emeralds, though, and Kikta and Hyltin in Rubies (especially since I've never seen the latter in that) — and I expect Kowroski's Diamonds PDD especially will be gorgeous. In my eyes, there's no one standout all-around best cast, so I'm reasonably satisfied.

That's what Balanchine programs are so often like for me at NYCB, especially when I'm only seeing one iteration. I always feel I'm getting to see so much and yet missing so much at the same time! Not complaining, though — it's a sign of a strong company and good programming.

Yes agreed! I do think kowroski is going to be beautiful.  I know that she was coached by Suzanne Farrell a few months ago on diamonds - it will be interesting to see from that perspective! 

Share this post


Link to post

Kowrowski's Diamonds PDD was breathtaking this past spring post-Farrell coaching.  Maybe I was projecting a bit, but it was my most cherished ballet memory to date.

Share this post


Link to post

I agree.  Maria was captivating in Diamonds in the Spring.  She is not to be missed.  Given Maria's age and history of recent injuries, you can never be sure whether she will continue to dance the role going forward.  The Farrell coaching only improved and built upon what Maria had already accomplished in the role through years of performing it.   The allegro portions of the role are  becoming more difficult for Maria as time marches on.  I hope that whenever she decides to retire, the Diamonds pas will be part of her final performance program.  Along with  Agon , I regard the Diamond  pas as one of her signature roles with the company.

Share this post


Link to post

I would love to see Taylor Stanley dance the PPD in Rubies. Wouldn't he be great? I would say Harrison Ball, too, but he needs to loosen up a bit on stage first. He is always a Very Serious Dancer. I am going Friday and am most excited to see Mira Nadon tackle the tall girl. 

Share this post


Link to post

I am looking ahead a week or so to Union Jack. I swear I can already hear that rolling drumbeat, pulling me in and holding me rapt in my seat. Let's hash out ideas about the casting. As I recall, last time MacDonald of Sleat was led by Mearns and Lowery. Someone new will be needed, but who has the requisite force? I'm not coming up with an obvious answer here. Emily Kikta or Emilie Gerrity? Then there's the WRENS. I believe Kowroski and Reichlen have both done it, but maybe someone else also that I'm not remembering? Again, both Kikta and Gerrity come to mind, also Unity Phelan.  (Please no Megan LeCrone leading the WRENS!) Would love to hear others' ideas.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/3/2019 at 4:02 PM, Leah said:

Indiana Woodward is not cast at all in the first week. I was hoping she’d debut in the Verdy role in Emeralds since Tiler Peck is out. She did post an Instagram story recently in Urgent Care, so hopefully nothing’s wrong. I’m glad to see Mira Nadon getting two debuts, especially one as the tall girl in Rubies! Kretzschmar was awful last year IMO so it’s good to see Nadon getting a crack at it. 

I agree on Indiana - it would be a great role for her!  And yes, Claire was not good in rubies.  Emily Kitka is fantastic and I am sure Mira will be great.   Laine Habony would have been a great choice for Rubies.  She has been doing demi's for Diamonds for years.  It's time to see her cast in a more featured role.  

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, cobweb said:

As I recall, last time MacDonald of Sleat was led by Mearns and Lowery. Someone new will be needed, but who has the requisite force? I'm not coming up with an obvious answer here. Emily Kikta or Emilie Gerrity?

Gerrity has been pretty impressive in roles danced by Sara Mearns, whether choreographed by Balanchine (e.g., Sanguinic in 4Ts) or others (e.g., the role Mearns originated in Ratmansky's Namouna). Let me hasten to add, however, that she's very much her own dancer, and not just Mearns Lite. Frankly, I prefer her to Mearns in 4Ts. She was a knockout in (I think) Heather Watts' role in Martins' Fearful Symmetries. She made it look like a whole different ballet, and brava to that. So, yes, let's see her in MacDonald of Sleat. 

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/Press/Casting/NYCB-Casting_September-17-22-2019.pdf

2nd week casting is up. 

Is Laine Habony injured?  I was very surprised she was not cast in the pas de trois in Emeralds for the first week and I do not see her cast in a Raymonda variation - what a shame.   I am sure I saw that Olivia McKinnon and Laine Habony did the Emeralds pas de trois with Spartak Hoxha in Greece this past summer on Instagram so why switch to Hutsell, who does not seem right for the role to me.  I am very happy to see Hod back from her injury.  Hopefully we will see Alexa Maxwell back again soon - always delightful.  Alston MacGill was out for a long time, as well.  She has nice technique but very boring to watch.  

Share this post


Link to post

On Jovani Furlan's Instagram stories he says, due to a casting change, he will be debuting in DGV on the 18th with Ashley Bouder — I guess Harrison Ball is out? I hope it’s nothing serious as he had an incredible spring.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/6/2019 at 1:35 PM, abatt said:

I agree.  Maria was captivating in Diamonds in the Spring.  She is not to be missed.  Given Maria's age and history of recent injuries, you can never be sure whether she will continue to dance the role going forward.  The Farrell coaching only improved and built upon what Maria had already accomplished in the role through years of performing it.   The allegro portions of the role are  becoming more difficult for Maria as time marches on.  I hope that whenever she decides to retire, the Diamonds pas will be part of her final performance program.  Along with  Agon , I regard the Diamond  pas as one of her signature roles with the company.

Maria was transcendent in the spring Diamonds.   I was thrilled to read that Farrell had coached her.  Maria  is phenomenal in both Agon and Diamonds.  There are others, such as  Reichlen, who shine in Agon, but in Diamonds, Maria reigns.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/6/2019 at 1:35 PM, abatt said:

I agree.  Maria was captivating in Diamonds in the Spring.  She is not to be missed.  Given Maria's age and history of recent injuries, you can never be sure whether she will continue to dance the role going forward.  

Adding to the list of Kowroski performances not to be missed: the ballerina in Balanchine's Variations Pour une Porte et un Soupir. As far as I'm concerned, Kowroski is to that role much as Teresa Reichlen is to the Rubies Tall Girl: she spoils you for anyone else. I think I've seen just about every ballerina who's been cast in the role perform it, and none of them have been as deliciously witty and movie star glamorous in it as she is. (The ballet is one of my Balanchine guilty pleasures. If I were programming an NYCB Guilty Pleasures Spectacular, it would be on the program along with Preljocaj's Spectral Evidence and, I don't know, maybe Dove's Red Angels or Feld's The Unanswered Question. Or even Forsythe's Behind the China Dogs if the company ever decides to revive it while someone still remembers it.)

Share this post


Link to post
×
×
  • Create New...