CTballetfan

Spring 2020 New York Season

6 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I say this as a big fan of Skylar Brandt the dancer, but all of her Instagram posts seem like auditions. The good thing is that it's also a compelling look at the usually invisible work dancers do to get a role. And I certainly prefer her method of self-promotion to the ballerinas who just hawk leotards and other promotions. But still ... to me it's really obvious she's auditioning.

I agree with you. I don’t think it can hurt, some might find it tacky but she seems to be third in line for a promotion and not getting as many roles as she could be, so why not.

2 hours ago, Leah said:

I loved their Symphonie Concertante and hope they do it again soon.

I agree, Leah. I LOVED Symphonie Concertant and wish I could see it again (and again!).

3 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

I didn't really take Brandt's Instagram posts to be an audition for T&V, as I believe she was dancing the demi-soloist role in all the videos she posted. If they'd shown her rehearsing bits of the principal role, then I'd feel differently. They certainly highlighted her technical prowess, but then again, so do all of her videos.

I agree, and I really like these postings. Even though I've seen the ballet many, many times there are sections in which I'm so focused on the principal that I don't pay a lot of attention to the demi-soloists. This gave me a new appreciation for how much dancing they do, and how difficult it is. 

1 hour ago, vipa said:

This gave me a new appreciation for how much dancing they do, and how difficult it is. 

Yes!!! I felt the same way. It was amazing to see the difficulty of the demi-soloist choreography in isolation from the rest of the ballet.

1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

Yes!!! I felt the same way. It was amazing to see the difficulty of the demi-soloist choreography in isolation from the rest of the ballet.

Agreed. That choreography is so fast and complex I had to watch the clips about five times to even begin to understand it! I love seeing dance clips on Instagram and am glad Brandt posts frequently.

Not a fan of anyone of any profession tooting their own horn constantly. I know that's what social media if for to an extent, but Brandt goes above and beyond with the endless videos of her own dancing as well as reposts of everyone who comments or posts a story about her. I find it tacky. But I guess this is what gets you promoted at ABT, Home of Misty Copeland.

I for one love the videos of her dancing. She deserves a shot at bigger roles and if I can't see her take those roles on onstage, I'd rather Instagram than nothing.

33 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

Not a fan of anyone of any profession tooting their own horn constantly. I know that's what social media if for to an extent, but Brandt goes above and beyond with the endless videos of her own dancing as well as reposts of everyone who comments or posts a story about her. I find it tacky. But I guess this is what gets you promoted at ABT, Home of Misty Copeland.

I would venture a guess that she is disappointed in her casting in the upcoming spring season, although there are still possibilities left open.

I'm sure that if they were doing DonQ she would have gotten a Kitri. She has really paid her dues all the way from JKO, through Studio Company, through corps, and is ready for more principal roles.

Someone remarked above thread that she looks so happy when she's dancing that maybe she doesn't yet have the soul for an O/O or Juliet. Does anyone think of her as a soubrette dancer?

7 minutes ago, angelica said:

Someone remarked above thread that she looks so happy when she's dancing that maybe she doesn't yet have the soul for an O/O or Juliet. Does anyone think of her as a soubrette dancer?

Jane Eyre was not my favorite last spring but I have to say that Brandt was mesmerising as young Jane. She certainly had the deep, emotional maturity to play/dance this troubled girl. The way her family abused her and her reactions were quite similar to the family dynamics of Juliet and her parents. Brandt is known for her bright, happy dancing but I'd definitely say her Young Jane proved her deep capacity for emotional, soulful dancing. 

53 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

I think it is very unjustified to call sharing videos of her dancing as "tooting their own horn constantly."

She is a dancer. She posts videos of her dancing. She isn't advertising other things--she's showing a rare glimpse of her process and progress.

She's also a very good dancer, who I think richly deserves a promotion for her dancing...which is precisely what she's showing on social media. Her dancing.

I really don't understand the indignation about it on here. If one is a fan of dance (which I assume we all are) why the intense criticizing of a dancer for providing increased access to just that.

Also, this is what Instagram is for. If you follow a dancer you’re signing up for their self-promotion. And more dancing videos, than say sponsorships for random leotard companies, is always a good thing.

1 hour ago, Leah said:

Also, this is what Instagram is for. If you follow a dancer you’re signing up for their self-promotion. And more dancing videos, than say sponsorships for random leotard companies, is always a good thing.

I much prefer behind-the-scenes rehearsal footage over endless mirror selfies or glossy shots promoting a leotard line. It's interesting to see the process, and sometimes dancers are able to accomplish extraordinary things in rehearsal (five- or six-revolution pirouettes) that never make it to the stage. 

Regarding Brandt resposting fan posts in her Instagram Stories, I see this as a nice way of acknowledging fans. Mearns routinely does this after a performance, when people post photos of her curtain calls, often accompanied by adulatory language. It can feel nice to know an artist saw your post and acknowledged your appreciation of them. Brandt seems to have a lot of young dancer fans who really look up to her.

Edited by fondoffouettes

I enjoy Brandt's instagram. I don't subscribe but do surf every few weeks.  She's doing the Sunday mystery cast matinee with Ahn at the Kennedy Center and Forster is our Albrecht with Murphy on Sat eve.  I love the casting and it's a marathon. https://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/BUBSE

Edited by maps

4 minutes ago, maps said:

I enjoy Brandt's instagram. I don't subscribe but do surf every few weeks.  She's doing the Sunday mystery cast matinee with Ahn at the Kennedy Center and Forster is our Albrecht with Murphy on Sat eve.  I love the casting and it's a marathon. https://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/BUBSE

oh wow! That is great!

I think Brandt is a very technically proficient dancer, but not really emotionally engaging. But that's just my opinion.

28 minutes ago, maps said:

Wow. I see it’s now on ABT’s site.

I wonder why Shevchenko and Royal were not given that slot for their debut prior to the Met season. That’s usually how they do it.

The coaching staff will really have their hands full this season preparing so many soloists for major debuts in the classics.

1 hour ago, maps said:

Thanks you so much for the heads up regarding Brandt's Giselle debut! Now there's a show I don't want to miss. Will be a good test of her soulful, emotional dancing. 

On 11/4/2019 at 10:13 PM, vipa said:

Even though I've seen the ballet [T&V] many, many times there are sections in which I'm so focused on the principal that I don't pay a lot of attention to the demi-soloists. This gave me a new appreciation for how much dancing they do, and how difficult it is. 

Many, many years ago I read an interview with Heather Watts in which she discussed the (to her mind at least) lackluster first five years or so of her career. She approached Balanchine for guidance and he recommended that she go watch (if I recall correctly) Gelsey Kirkland in T&V. "I wasn't even good enough to be in the corps of Theme!" she remarked to the interviewer. 

Great news for Brandt and Ahn! Shame I can't stay until Sunday.

I wonder if the artistic staff is a bit apprehensive about Murphy's comeback. Perhaps they want someone already tested in the role just in case she's not ready to perform all the roles she's due to dance at the MET. I'm sure she'll be ready, but you never know. But I must say, I'm surprised Shevchenko is not getting a performance before her NY debut.

27 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

I wonder if the artistic staff is a bit apprehensive about Murphy's comeback. Perhaps they want someone already tested in the role just in case she's not ready to perform all the roles she's due to dance at the MET. I'm sure she'll be ready, but you never know. But I must say, I'm surprised Shevchenko is not getting a performance before her NY debut.

I wondered that too. Also, given the injury/cancellation rate of Hallberg/Osipova, that’s another reason to have another team ready to go.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

I wondered that too. Also, given the injury/cancellation rate of Hallberg/Osipova, that’s another reason to have another team ready to go.

Not to mention that Copeland is far from a sure thing these days, especially when it comes to her classical rep.

I also enjoy Brandt's Instagram posts.  I especially love watching the coaching sessions she has with Dvorovenko, and hearing Dvorovenko's corrections.    

What I really cannot stand are the posts (done by other dancers, NOT Brandt) featuring half-naked photography by this guy "Nisian".  Maybe I'm being prudish, but I find them very distasteful.    

Thank you for saying this! I too find the nisian photos distasteful. I have no problem celebrating a beautiful ballet body but his photographs cross over to titillation. Imo. 

I can't imagine Ahn as Albrecht.  He is strong technically, but from what I've seen he is not much of an actor.  I guess that will improve over time.

^Same, to be honest. But, of course, he deserves a chance. I'll have to wait for reports. Hopefully someone from here can catch their performance and report back.