This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season

44 minutes ago, California said:

Audiences push them to do ever-more difficult "stunts" with our applause and cheers, so I guess I'm not surprised to see this. 

My reaction to seeing this was "Is that really beautiful?" Implied answer, No. It does seem exactly like a stunt for an acrobat.

However, most of Brandt's postings show her looking very beautiful, indeed.

One of the most remarkable technical feats I'd ever seen and wholly within the music was when in a Don Q solo -- and I can't remember in what direction she started -- Vingsay Valdes did a slow develope to arabesque (front or back) on pointe and then slowly returned to passe and then did slow arabesque in the opposite direction, never shifting, and always beautifully upright in carriage.  And unassisted.

So sad, another ABT soloist retiring without much fanfare or farewell.  Scott was one of those dancers we never seemed to see dance often enough, but when he did get the chance he was completely invested in the performance.  Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

7 hours ago, laurel said:

So sad, another ABT soloist retiring without much fanfare or farewell.  Scott was one of those dancers we never seemed to see dance often enough, but when he did get the chance he was completely invested in the performance.  Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

Agree. I still remember how clean and crisp his technique was in Seven Sonatas. 

I can’t help but wonder who may have been promoted to fill these spots if the season had gone forward. 

Arron Scott is probably my favorite Mercutio ever, and I've seen a lot in the 45 years I've been going to the ballet.  The Prokofiev score is glorious but Mercutio's death scene seems to go on and on and on and most dancers I've seen tended to milk the scene for all it was worth, going OTT trying to fill out the music.  Scott on the other hand reined it in, giving a wonderfully restrained performance that reached the Dress Circle without descending into caricature as so many others have.

I'm another fan who will miss Arron Scott.

On 5/21/2020 at 12:59 PM, abatt said:

Yes, that was her final performance.  Mr. Abatt wanted to go, but I voted no because we would be seeing it at the Met in the spring so it didn't pay to spend the money to go to DC.  Obviously, that  decision backfired. 

Are there any longer videos of Abrera in White Swan at Kaatsban?  

Edited by maps
-