Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring 2020 New York Season


Recommended Posts

My great Abrera Sleeping Beauty experience was when I saw her dance Princess Florine in Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty--I thought it was in every detail--down to her fingertips--the most beautiful, enchanting performance of that role imaginable. She danced with such purity and fluidity and inhabited so completely the fairy tale spirit of the pas de deux that one felt the whole spirit of the ballet was captured in her performance. Of course, I didn't get to see Abrera as often as many posting here, and I do think that performance of Princess Florine probably goes down as my favorite performance of all those I saw her give.

Edited by Drew
Link to post

My favorite Abrera role was Lise in Fille mal gardee. Absolutely enchanting and she really is an Ashtonian dancer with the upper body grace and natural charm. I was also impressed by the energy she brought to smaller roles. Fir instance her Mistress in Manon was hilarious. 

Here is a role she SHOULD have danced: Odette/Odile:

 

Edited by canbelto
Link to post
1 hour ago, Drew said:

My great Abrera Sleeping Beauty experience was when I saw her dance Princess Florine in Ratmansky's Sleeping Beauty--I thought it was in every detail--down to her fingertips--the most beautiful, enchanting performance of that role imaginable. She danced with such purity and fluidity and inhabited completely the fairy tale spirit of the pas de deux that one felt the whole spirit of the ballet was captured in her performance. Of course, I didn't get to see Abrera as often as many posting here, and I do think that performance of Princess Florine probably goes down as my favorite performance of all those I saw her give.

We need a "Like" button.

Link to post

Stella Abrera invaded my consciousness sometime in the early 2000s during a performance of Jerome Robbins' "Afternoon of a Faun," with David Hallberg.  Her warm, lustrous dancing was so enthralling, the stage seemed bathed in a golden light.  To this day, I can't recall a thing about Hallberg during that performance; Stella's golden light simply erased him.  One other performance of hers which stands out in my memory was her Cinderella in 2015, at the moment she entered the ballroom and appeared to float down the stairs en pointe.  Because I believe she was, literally, floating - she'd been promoted to principal only a day or two before the show.  I thank her for the many, many beautiful memories she's given me.

Link to post
1 hour ago, laurel said:

 I believe she was, literally, floating

I had the same response when I saw her dance the fairy godmother at the Kennedy Center.  It was during the pre ball transformation scene.   The stage floor appeared to disappear from view and she serenely worked her magic.

Link to post

This discussion of her lightness and very special stage presence brought me back to this video of her in the Dawn variation from Coppelia. All those very special qualities come across, even in an imperfectly recorded video. When you'd open your program and see her name in roles like this one, it always felt like luxury casting. 

 

Link to post

So lovely to see all the tributes on social media today from many of Abrera's colleagues. She clearly has very warm relationships with many of them.

Link to post
13 minutes ago, nanushka said:

So lovely to see all the tributes on social media today from many of Abrera's colleagues. She clearly has very warm relationships with many of them.

Agree. It still kills me that I (we) won’t be able to give her a proper farewell and see her dance one last time. I’m glad she’s happy that DC turned out to be her last show (according to her recent NY Times interview) but I feel robbed. We all know that ballet is a short, difficult career, but hers has felt especially cruel. In the end, she more than deserved a final performance at The Met in front of her adoring peers and fans and to bow one last time to thunderous applause.

Link to post

Stella Abrera is a dancer that I have enjoyed watching since I first began my NYC ballet-viewing... back in 2002. I have seen and enjoyed her in many, many performances, everything from Afternoon of a Faun to In the Upper Room to, of course, Giselle and Lilac Fairy. Her suppleness, musicality, and luminosity make her a treasure. One time a few years ago, I spotted her on the Plaza on a summer evening, holding court (so it seemed) with some well-wishers. In a flowing long sundress and with her hair hanging down her back, she was the picture of beauty and elegance, as she is on the stage. Best wishes in your future adventures, Stella. 

Link to post

I found this recording of Stella's Giselle premiere. I'll never forget that performance. If only ABT had a full recording of this performance that they could stream as a tribute. 

 

 

Edited by Dancerboy90210
Link to post

Thanks for sharing. I teared up watching it. It was a short farewell and nowhere near what she deserved onstage. I saw many Instagram posts from corps members, soloists, principals and former dancers that indicate how respected and loved she is at ABT. I'm sad that we won't see her again on the Met stage and wish her the best, as she will be missed. She has been my favorite since I started going to see ABT.

Link to post
1 hour ago, nycvillager said:

Thanks for sharing. I teared up watching it. It was a short farewell and nowhere near what she deserved onstage. I saw many Instagram posts from corps members, soloists, principals and former dancers that indicate how respected and loved she is at ABT. I'm sad that we won't see her again on the Met stage and wish her the best, as she will be missed. She has been my favorite since I started going to see ABT.

I've been wondering, for all of these retiring principals: they won't be able to stay in shape for a major role in spring 2021, but I wonder if they could return for a cameo role (the mother or queen in something?) and then get the applause/flowers/partners at the end. Why not? Our world is upside-down and a little more innovation next spring would be welcome!

Link to post
3 hours ago, California said:

I've been wondering, for all of these retiring principals: they won't be able to stay in shape for a major role in spring 2021, but I wonder if they could return for a cameo role (the mother or queen in something?) and then get the applause/flowers/partners at the end. Why not? Our world is upside-down and a little more innovation next spring would be welcome!

That’s a great idea. If I remember correctly, Abrera’s Lady Capulet was one of the best there was. Besides Georgina Parkinson. I would love it if they did something like this.

Link to post
30 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

That’s a great idea. If I remember correctly, Abrera’s Lady Capulet was one of the best there was. Besides Georgina Parkinson. I would love it if they did something like this.

That’s one role where I could really imagine it working. In a lesser role I think it might just be too sad/frustrating.

Link to post

I’ve thought of something similar such as a short pas de deux in a mixed bill. But even that might be too taxing by next spring . I like the Lady Capulet suggestion better. Is there something like this that would be suitable for David Hallberg? I’d love for Alex Hammoudi to be recognized on stage as well. 

Link to post

Hallberg isn’t retiring till next summer (even though he takes up his AD role at the Australian Ballet sooner, I believe) so he should be dancing a lead. I imagine he’ll do Albrecht or Romeo with Osipova as his final show. Hammoudi could also do a character role as a farewell (Tybalt); that’s mostly all he was doing anyway in the last season or two.

Link to post

I just wonder if Hallberg will be in lead role dancing shape by next Met season. 2020 has not been a year anyone expected. Like all dancers this year has severely reduced his ability to keep in performance shape and he was already choosing his roles, or at least the number of them in order to care for his body post injury. In any case, I hope I’m wrong because an R&J with him, Osipova, Abrera as Lady Capulet, and Hammoudi as Tybalt (one of his best roles imo) would be incredible. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Barbara said:

...an R&J with [Hallberg], Osipova, Abrera as Lady Capulet, and Hammoudi as Tybalt (one of his best roles imo) would be incredible. 

Now THAT is a show I'd happily pay extra to see next year!

Link to post

I decided I had to post this. I’ve never seen anything like it and as a former dancer I can’t figure out how this is possible. Imagine if she’d be allowed to do this at The Met (in any role). The audience would blow the roof off.

 

Link to post
20 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I decided I had to post this. I’ve never seen anything like it and as a former dancer I can’t figure out how this is possible. Imagine if she’d be allowed to do this at The Met (in any role). The audience would blow the roof off.

 

I watched this several times on her Instagram feed this morning. We're sure it's not trick editing? 

Link to post
11 minutes ago, California said:

I watched this several times on her Instagram feed this morning. We're sure it's not trick editing? 

Definitely not trick editing. She's been working on it for awhile and posting her progress on Instagram.

 

Link to post

Amazing. Yuriko has a similar technique to Brandt in that they can do unbelievably difficult steps while showing virtually no effort or strain. 

Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...