This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Choe Contemporary Dance Company at Kennedy Center

The Korean Cultural Center brought the Choe Contemporary Dance Company to the Kennedy Center. Fortunately, the Korean Cultural Center also footed the cost of the production so that tickets were free, because this production contained everything that I dislike about modern dance.

There were 2 pieces in the performance: Chaos and Liar. Both were basically about nothing at all, consisting of a disconnected hodgepodge of ideas and lack of ideas and seeming to drag on endlessly without purpose or direction. There was way too much milling around, moving around R---E---A---L---L---Y   S---L---O---W---L---Y, and, in the case of Chaos, rolling around face down on some sort of motorized skateboards (or something - I was too far back to see what they were actually rolling around the stage on). What little activity there was had a way too high proportion of gymnastic or martial arts derivation. Much of the "music" for Chaos consisted of a single note repeated over and over and over and over again.

My accomplice, who in the past has defended modern dance when I've criticized it, declared that in the future she would only attend ballet.