Once again, nothing is black and white. There are shades of gray. Life is complicated. And the reality is that people have bills to pay. So, yes, sometimes people sleep with someone they normally wouldn't to get a job or keep a job, but THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT for the boss to demand or request sex. Why is the person who feels harassed often the one who was wrong in some people's minds? Shouldn't people in positions of power control themselves? Or are they simply dogs in heat? And when multiple people come out to speak against someone the old adage fits, "Where there's smoke there is fire." 

It boils down to this........would any of us want a daughter of ours told, "Sleep with me and I will help your career!" and "If you don't, I will see to it that you don't get a job anywhere!"  DO WE WANT THAT FOR OUR DAUGHTERS??????

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Birdsall said:

It boils down to this........would any of us want a daughter of ours told, "Sleep with me and I will help your career!" and "If you don't, I will see to it that you don't get a job anywhere!"  DO WE WANT THAT FOR OUR DAUGHTERS??????

I have neither daughters nor sons. It doesn't matter: no one should have to endure unwanted sexual attention from anyone at anytime anywhere for any reason. No one should be put in the position of believing that they have to have sex with someone to get a job, or keep a job, or be considered for a job. No one should have to submit to workplace harassment of any kind—and that includes garden-variety bullying as well as slurs grounded in prejudice—just to keep a job. Consent is freely given, not coerced. 

And yes, people with power shouldn't abuse it and should be sanctioned when they do. 

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

And no one should have to make a career decision after being backed into a sexual corner.

Michael Cooper has a piece in the Times on the opera world's mixed responses to the Domingo allegations.

A few excerpts:

Some of the fault lines were geographic. Two American institutions, the Philadelphia Orchestra and the San Francisco Opera, swiftly canceled their upcoming concerts with him, citing their need to provide safe environments. But none of Mr. Domingo’s many upcoming performances in Europe were canceled, as presenters there decided on a wait-and-see approach.

Singers were divided, too. More than two dozen rallied to Mr. Domingo’s defense, offering testimonials about his kindness and professionalism. One of opera’s biggest divas, Anna Netrebko, wrote on Instagram that she was looking forward to sharing the stage of New York’s Metropolitan Opera next month “with fantastic Placido Domingo!”

Several colleagues who worked with him for years said that they were genuinely surprised by the accusations — saying that they had seen him as a someone who might flirt or make a pass at women, but not harass them. In this era, many people now see that as a distinction without a difference when it comes to workplace interactions when one of the people involved is in a position of power.

After the allegations were made public last week, the American Guild of Musical Artists, the union representing opera soloists, choristers and ballet dancers, announced that it had contacted opera companies to demand investigations and that it would “closely monitor this situation, making the safety of our members our first priority.”

29 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Some of the fault lines were geographic. Two American institutions, the Philadelphia Orchestra and the San Francisco Opera, swiftly canceled their upcoming concerts with him, citing their need to provide safe environments. But none of Mr. Domingo’s many upcoming performances in Europe were canceled, as presenters there decided on a wait-and-see approach.

That's pretty much what I expected, European attitudes do tend to be a lot different in these cases.

Not surprising at all, given that European opera houses in general  rely primarily on state funding.

"After the allegations were made public last week, the American Guild of Musical Artists, the union representing opera soloists, choristers and ballet dancers, announced that it had contacted opera companies to demand investigations and that it would “closely monitor this situation, making the safety of our members our first priority.”

No doubt AGMA would have acted sooner if any of the women affected had made an official  complaint.  And their cases would be stronger if any of them had kept Domingo's obsessive messages.  At least they told other people.  Your union exists for your protection.  (Just doing a little Monday morning quarterbacking.)

I have my doubts about AGMA acting sooner if they had. Different times.

Plus, the reasons why the women didn't lodge a union complaint are likely the same as why they didn't push management, even if they went to management.  Just like the union might have gotten Ramasar reinstated at NYCB under his current, but couldn't guarantee he'd be offered another.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:35 AM, Mashinka said:

That's pretty much what I expected, European attitudes do tend to be a lot different in these cases.

I gather that Europeans think Americans are a little nuts on the subject of sexytime, not always without reason.  I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Europe doesn't have a few #MeToo issues of its own.

3 hours ago, dirac said:

I gather that Europeans think Americans are a little nuts on the subject of sexytime, not always without reason.  I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Europe doesn't have a few #MeToo issues of its own.

Good point.  Strauss Kahn was finally caught out in the US despite a history of abusing women in France. 

I always thought it said something good about the United States that the American authorities actually pulled a foreign political bigwig off a plane on the complaint of a chambermaid, even if the case ultimately collapsed.

11 hours ago, dirac said:

I always thought it said something good about the United States that the American authorities actually pulled a foreign political bigwig off a plane on the complaint of a chambermaid, even if the case ultimately collapsed.

I agree, once he had been exposed, other women came forward with their complaints, up to and including rape.   He was in line to be the next French president, that never happened, ironic that the two incumbents of the post since that incident have been useless, with the lowest approval rating in history.  Macron currently has a mere twenty per cent last time I looked, though his mishandling of the yellow vest protesters may have driven him down further.  

Edited by Mashinka
clarity

6 hours ago, Mashinka said:

I agree, once he had been exposed, other women came forward with their complaints, up to and including rape.   He was in line to be the next French president, that never happened, ironic that the two incumbents of the post since that incident have been useless, with the lowest approval rating in history.  Macron currently has a mere twenty per cent last time I looked, though his mishandling of the yellow vest protesters may have driven him down further.  

His popularity hit a low of 23% during the protests.

It is now (or was in July) up to 32%. So better certainly, but hardly a ringing endorsement.