This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Once again, nothing is black and white. There are shades of gray. Life is complicated. And the reality is that people have bills to pay. So, yes, sometimes people sleep with someone they normally wouldn't to get a job or keep a job, but THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT for the boss to demand or request sex. Why is the person who feels harassed often the one who was wrong in some people's minds? Shouldn't people in positions of power control themselves? Or are they simply dogs in heat? And when multiple people come out to speak against someone the old adage fits, "Where there's smoke there is fire." 

It boils down to this........would any of us want a daughter of ours told, "Sleep with me and I will help your career!" and "If you don't, I will see to it that you don't get a job anywhere!"  DO WE WANT THAT FOR OUR DAUGHTERS??????

4 hours ago, Birdsall said:

It boils down to this........would any of us want a daughter of ours told, "Sleep with me and I will help your career!" and "If you don't, I will see to it that you don't get a job anywhere!"  DO WE WANT THAT FOR OUR DAUGHTERS??????

I have neither daughters nor sons. It doesn't matter: no one should have to endure unwanted sexual attention from anyone at anytime anywhere for any reason. No one should be put in the position of believing that they have to have sex with someone to get a job, or keep a job, or be considered for a job. No one should have to submit to workplace harassment of any kind—and that includes garden-variety bullying as well as slurs grounded in prejudice—just to keep a job. Consent is freely given, not coerced. 

And yes, people with power shouldn't abuse it and should be sanctioned when they do. 

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

Michael Cooper has a piece in the Times on the opera world's mixed responses to the Domingo allegations.

A few excerpts:

Some of the fault lines were geographic. Two American institutions, the Philadelphia Orchestra and the San Francisco Opera, swiftly canceled their upcoming concerts with him, citing their need to provide safe environments. But none of Mr. Domingo’s many upcoming performances in Europe were canceled, as presenters there decided on a wait-and-see approach.

Singers were divided, too. More than two dozen rallied to Mr. Domingo’s defense, offering testimonials about his kindness and professionalism. One of opera’s biggest divas, Anna Netrebko, wrote on Instagram that she was looking forward to sharing the stage of New York’s Metropolitan Opera next month “with fantastic Placido Domingo!”

Several colleagues who worked with him for years said that they were genuinely surprised by the accusations — saying that they had seen him as a someone who might flirt or make a pass at women, but not harass them. In this era, many people now see that as a distinction without a difference when it comes to workplace interactions when one of the people involved is in a position of power.

After the allegations were made public last week, the American Guild of Musical Artists, the union representing opera soloists, choristers and ballet dancers, announced that it had contacted opera companies to demand investigations and that it would “closely monitor this situation, making the safety of our members our first priority.”

29 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Some of the fault lines were geographic. Two American institutions, the Philadelphia Orchestra and the San Francisco Opera, swiftly canceled their upcoming concerts with him, citing their need to provide safe environments. But none of Mr. Domingo’s many upcoming performances in Europe were canceled, as presenters there decided on a wait-and-see approach.

That's pretty much what I expected, European attitudes do tend to be a lot different in these cases.

"After the allegations were made public last week, the American Guild of Musical Artists, the union representing opera soloists, choristers and ballet dancers, announced that it had contacted opera companies to demand investigations and that it would “closely monitor this situation, making the safety of our members our first priority.”

No doubt AGMA would have acted sooner if any of the women affected had made an official  complaint.  And their cases would be stronger if any of them had kept Domingo's obsessive messages.  At least they told other people.  Your union exists for your protection.  (Just doing a little Monday morning quarterbacking.)

I have my doubts about AGMA acting sooner if they had. Different times.

Plus, the reasons why the women didn't lodge a union complaint are likely the same as why they didn't push management, even if they went to management.  Just like the union might have gotten Ramasar reinstated at NYCB under his current, but couldn't guarantee he'd be offered another.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:35 AM, Mashinka said:

That's pretty much what I expected, European attitudes do tend to be a lot different in these cases.

I gather that Europeans think Americans are a little nuts on the subject of sexytime, not always without reason.  I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Europe doesn't have a few #MeToo issues of its own.

3 hours ago, dirac said:

I gather that Europeans think Americans are a little nuts on the subject of sexytime, not always without reason.  I wouldn't be surprised, however, if Europe doesn't have a few #MeToo issues of its own.

Good point.  Strauss Kahn was finally caught out in the US despite a history of abusing women in France. 

11 hours ago, dirac said:

I always thought it said something good about the United States that the American authorities actually pulled a foreign political bigwig off a plane on the complaint of a chambermaid, even if the case ultimately collapsed.

I agree, once he had been exposed, other women came forward with their complaints, up to and including rape.   He was in line to be the next French president, that never happened, ironic that the two incumbents of the post since that incident have been useless, with the lowest approval rating in history.  Macron currently has a mere twenty per cent last time I looked, though his mishandling of the yellow vest protesters may have driven him down further.  

Edited by Mashinka
clarity
6 hours ago, Mashinka said:

I agree, once he had been exposed, other women came forward with their complaints, up to and including rape.   He was in line to be the next French president, that never happened, ironic that the two incumbents of the post since that incident have been useless, with the lowest approval rating in history.  Macron currently has a mere twenty per cent last time I looked, though his mishandling of the yellow vest protesters may have driven him down further.  

His popularity hit a low of 23% during the protests.

It is now (or was in July) up to 32%. So better certainly, but hardly a ringing endorsement.

In a second AP story, the allegations continue to pile up:

Wilson, now 48 and a college voice teacher in the Dallas area, was one of 11 women to come forward after an Aug. 13 AP story in which numerous women accused the long-married, Spanish-born superstar of sexual harassment or inappropriate, sexually charged behavior and of sometimes damaging their careers if they rejected him.

In the weeks since that story was published, the women have shared new stories about encounters with Domingo, currently the general director of Los Angeles Opera, that they said included unwanted touching, persistent requests for private get-togethers, late-night phone calls and sudden attempts to kiss them on the lips.

Several additional backstage employees described for the AP how they strove to shield young women from the star as administrators looked the other way.

Taken together, their stories reinforce a picture of an industry in which Domingo’s behavior was an open secret and young women were left to fend for themselves in the workplace.

The efforts of many employees to shield women from his advances point to a real sickness not only in Domingo himself but also in his professional world:

Melinda McLain, who was the production coordinator at LA Opera for its inaugural season in 1986-87 and also worked at the Houston Grand Opera with Domingo, told the AP she made it a point not to put Domingo in rehearsal rooms alone with young female singers, even if he specifically requested it, and also tried to supply him with male dressers.

“We created these elaborate schemes for keeping him away from particular singers,” McLain said. “I never would have sent any woman of any sort into his dressing room.”

McLain said another strategy was to invite Domingo’s wife, Marta, to attend company parties “because if Marta was around, he behaves.”

Several people who have worked in the costume department of the LA Opera, where Domingo has served in various capacities since the 1980s, said his backstage behavior was common knowledge and that management had been aware of it for years. One employee said her colleagues tried to steer clear of sending women into fittings with Domingo as recently as the 2016-2017 season.

“I was told by my direct boss that they avoided sending any sort of attractive young woman into a fitting with him because of his behavior,” said one employee who requested anonymity because she is still in the opera industry and fears repercussions. She said Domingo was known for “getting too close, hugging, kissing, touching and being physically affectionate.”

ETA: Dallas Opera has cancelled a March gala concert with Domingo. The Met so far holds firm in moving forward with his upcoming Macbeth performances.

Edited by nanushka

Domingo has left the Met Opera.

According to the article, “The Met and Mr. Domingo are in agreement that he needed to step down.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/24/arts/music/placido-domingo-met-opera-harassment.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Edited by ABT Fan
16 minutes ago, nanushka said:

No time like the last minute.

This followed pretty closely an NPR report on Met employees' anger and frustration at the company and Domingo's continuing presence.

The NPR report was the kiss of death in my opinion.  There are still people who don't want to believe  the allegations.  

Honestly, given the current state of Domingo's voice, I think I might have preferred to hear Željko Lučić in the role anyway. (Lučić, a Serbian baritone who sings a lot of Verdi, will replace Domingo. I wouldn't rush to the theater just to hear him, but if I had signed on hear Netrebko's Lady Macbeth, I wouldn't tear my tickets up in disgust just because he'd been cast, either.)

It's a shame Domingo couldn't manage a more graceful exit for the sake of his fans if nothing else.

15 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Honestly, given the current state of Domingo's voice, I think I might have preferred to hear Željko Lučić in the role anyway. (Lučić, a Serbian baritone who sings a lot of Verdi, will replace Domingo. I wouldn't rush to the theater just to hear him, but if I had signed on hear Netrebko's Lady Macbeth, I wouldn't tear my tickets up in disgust just because he'd been cast, either.)

It's a shame Domingo couldn't manage a more graceful exit for the sake of his fans if nothing else.

I agree completely.  It is sad that Domingo goes out on a sour note.

I saw Netrebko & Lučić on opening night of Macbeth a few years ago.  She was absolutely stupendous and I thought he sang very expressively. He didn't rise to her level but I think only Hvorostovsky could have, so I wasn't disappointed.

Lots to digest in the latest news on the Domingo case. From the Times:

As the union representing opera performers prepared to release the results of an inquiry finding that the superstar Plácido Domingo had engaged in “inappropriate activity” with women, it was quietly working to reach a financial agreement with him.

But the deal they were working on — which called for the union, the American Guild of Musical Artists, to limit its public statements about the inquiry and for Mr. Domingo to pay the union $500,000 — fell apart on Tuesday after details of the investigation were leaked overnight, according to an email from the union’s leaders.

Publicly, Mr. Domingo, 79, a famed tenor who held leadership positions at the Los Angeles Opera and the Washington National Opera, issued his fullest apology yet. “I have taken time over the last several months to reflect on the allegations that various colleagues of mine have made against me,” Mr. Domingo said in a statement on Tuesday. “I respect that these women finally felt comfortable enough to speak out, and I want them to know that I am truly sorry for the hurt that I caused them.”

Two of the women who went on the record to The A.P. to accuse Mr. Domingo of misconduct and harassment, Patricia Wulf and Angela Turner Wilson, said in a statement through their lawyer that they believed he should be expelled from the union.

Debra Katz, the lawyer representing them, said in an interview that she was “distressed” to learn about the union’s financial talks with Mr. Domingo.

“The fact is that A.G.M.A. was trying to enter into a secret deal with Plácido Domingo that was conditioned on confidentiality, and in exchange he gave a tepid apology and offered to pay some money that is a fraction of what he earns,” she said. “And what are the women getting out of this?”

I heard this on the radio today and am confused.  The union may be able to make an agreement with Domingo that includes limiting the distribution of their investigation, but have the women who accused him in the first place signed some kind of non-disclosure agreement?  If they haven't (and no one so far seems to say that they have) they can certainly speak out.