Sign in to follow this  
dirac

Saturday, August 10

Myles Marsden, the founder of the State Ballet of Rhode Island, has died at age 83.

Born in Rhode Island, Marsden left during his teens to study dance in London and then Yugoslavia, according to his wife. He was given the title of Premier Danseur by the Yugoslav National Government, she said.

The Central Midwest Ballet performs in "Pineapple Poll."

The Madison Savoyards has presented fully staged Gilbert and Sullivan productions every summer since 1963. This is their first year working with the Central Midwest Ballet Academy.

Diablo Ballet opens its own school.

The school will be run by company artistic director and co-founder Lauren Jonas and staffed by associate director Rebecca Berke and company dancers and artists. Company dancer Raymond Tilton, a former member of San Francisco Ballet, will serve as principal. Teachers will include Diablo Ballet regisseur Joanna Berman and Julia Adam, both former principal dancers with San Francisco Ballet.

A review of Matthew Bourne's "Romeo and Juliet" by Mark Monahan in The Daily Telegraph.

For a few agonising moments during the press night for Matthew Bourne’s new dance-theatre version of Romeo and Juliet, it seemed that there might be no show to review. Twenty-five minutes in, the house lights came on, and there was the dread sight of the great man himself coming on stage to make an announcement. Reece Causton, playing Mercutio, had injured himself (a twisted ankle, I was later told), and we would have to wait for the stand-in to get ready.

An interview with Sara Mearns.

"Ballet is comfortable to me. So I want to get out of my comfort zone literally and doing these other things gets me out of that. It also makes me a stronger dancer and more full artist. So when I do come back to City Ballet, in a way I feel more myself when I’m on stage. I feel like a stronger artist. It’s hard to explain but all these experiences really help me in my ballet career.”

Sign in to follow this