This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gia Kourlas Named Dance Critic of the NYT

9 minutes ago, CTballetfan said:

I am confused. I signed up on the Post website for unlimited access to the digital edition for $10 a month. I just checked Amazon and didn’t see an offer of the same access for $3.99 a month. What do you get for $3.99 a month and can you access it on an iPad?

I think you have to be a Prime member to get the WP for $3.99. You get full access to the paper, and the iPad app is very good (much better than the NYT's imho). Even if you're not a Prime member, you can still get the WP for $5.99/month if you subscribe through Amazon

15 hours ago, Quiggin said:

The Times is $15.00 a month – 50 cents a day. Single articles elsewhere start at $3.00 or $4.00 and on up. The Times and the Wall Street Journal are the only US papers left really keeping an eye on lots of dubious things and acts on a day to day basis. Even if I don't read all the national articles, I figure in some way I'm voting for good government by subscribing (at least to the Times).

True. The WaPo is solid on Washington and national news - David Fahrenthold on Trump in the last election cycle was awesome -  but it's never the equal of the Times. The Times also has better arts reporting and is still willing/able to send its critics out of town. Still, as the only other paper with a full time dance critic, it's certainly entitled to our support.

The LA Times used to be in there swinging, too, but it's been experiencing some bad times.

3 minutes ago, dirac said:

True. The WaPo is solid on Washington and national news - David Fahrenthold on Trump in the last election cycle was awesome -  but it's never the equal of the Times. The Times also has better arts reporting and is still willing/able to send its critics out of town. Still, as the only other paper with a full time dance critic, it's certainly entitled to our support.

The LA Times used to be in there swinging, too, but it's been experiencing some bad times.

I'm going to respectfully push back just a little re WP vs NYT on national news. The WP has spent the last couple of years hiring a boatload of talent away from other news organizations and it shows. (Especially when it comes to national security reporting.) I happen to subscribe to both papers, but I'd hardly feel under-informed if I only subscribed to the Post. I suspect that the NYT has a broader reach when it comes to global news, however - I don't know if the WP has as many overseas desks or has been able to staff them as fully as the NYT. 

The NYT is indeed more robust on the arts and still produces a stand-alone book review. (Given that Jeff Bezos owns both the WP and a majority stake in Amazon, you'd think he'd bestow one on the WP just to hawk more books. At one point he was musing very publicly about what to do with all his money, and I wanted to stand on my desk and shout: buy and fully fund local newspapers, Jeff!)

FYI:

The current subscription offer from the NY Times -

Your payment method will be automatically charged $4.00 every 4 weeks for the first year ($1.00 per week).
It will then be automatically charged $15.00 every 4 weeks thereafter, starting on August 5, 2020 ($3.75 per week).
Your subscription will continue until you cancel. You can cancel anytime.

And they accept PayPal as payment, as well as the usual credit cards.

15 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Also, a PSA for your local library, which may well make digital media available to you if you have a library card. My NYPL library card gives me access to a ton of digital media via both my desktop browser (the very one I'm using right now) and apps on my phone and tablet. The New York Times doesn't make itself as easy to acquire via public resources as say, The Washington Post, the LA Times, USA Today, or any number of magazines and journals (including The New Yorker if you want to see what Jennifer Homans is up to, which isn't much), but NYPL cardholders can access a database of text-only versions of all of the articles the NYT has published since 1980, including the ones it published this morning. It's not the best way to peruse the paper as part of your morning read, but the database's search engine is excellent and it is a dandy tool for research. 

The NYPL is admittedly a powerhouse version of a local library, but one shouldn't assume that one's own hometown library doesn't make these resources available to cardholders - especially if it's plugged into a state-wide or regional library network. Lots of digital educational tools — e.g., Mango Languages, Lynda.com, Naxos Music Library, Oxford Reference Online, etc — have portals designed for public & academic libraries.

Really, take a look at what your local public library has to offer — you might be pleasantly surprised at how much is there.

Interestingly, there are several college alumni organizations that give members all kinds of electronic access to publications.  I was happily surprised to learn that my school (Reed College, in Oregon) offers access to all their JSTOR publications -- this has saved me several trips to my local university.

In general, big love for libraries!

Since the August 1 announcement, Kourlas has written 17 dance pieces for NYT, so she's being kept busy. Two of her most recent articles:

Lessons From Baryshnikov on Robbins (Less Is More)
Mikhail Baryshnikov is back at New York City Ballet, coaching Jerome Robbins’s “Opus 19/The Dreamer”: “It’s like not a dancer who is a man. It’s just a man who is a dancer.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/27/arts/dance/mikhail-baryshnikov-coaching-new-york-city-ballet.html

Review: At New York City Ballet, an Intriguing Glimpse of the Future
The fashion gala featured two premieres: Edwaard Liang’s had a strong dose of nostalgia, but Lauren Lovette’s imagined a brave new world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/27/arts/dance/review-new-york-city-ballet-fashion-gala.html

On 9/28/2019 at 11:11 PM, nanushka said:

GK’s review of the new Lovette made me interested to see it, but then reviews by members here on BA have made me doubtful.

I'd really like to see it but cannot get there.  Marina Harss in Dance Tabs wrote an excellent thought provoking review.