Sign in to follow this  
dirac

Friday, July 12

A preview of the Bolshoi Ballet's summer engagement in London by Jann Parry for DanceTabs.

Last year, the House wasn’t available because of the Royal Opera’s Wagnerian preparations for The Ring cycle.  So, there will be up-and-coming Bolshoi dancers we haven’t seen, as well as starry principals and maturing soloists. Whatever has happened backstage at the turbulent Bolshoi, the dancers have always been wonderful, giving of their best in London, where they consider that ballet-going audience members are knowledgeable.

Thomas Adès will his own ballet score, "Inferno," for a performance by Wayne McGregor's troupe.

“I take no credit for it, because Gustavo [Dudamel] is brilliant,” the 48-year-old British composer says, suggesting that it was the Phil’s performance as much as his score to which the audience responded. “But to have a showstopper, that is very exciting .… And this was a showstopper with a standing ovation attached, which was something I’ve never seen before. I’m absolutely not boasting, but I’m quite excited to see what happens when we throw 33 dancers into that as well.”

Sign in to follow this