dirac

Wednesday, July 10

Amar Ramasar will play Bernardo in the new Broadway production of "West Side Story."

Several cast members in the Broadway production are also appearing in Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner’s “West Side Story” film, which is expected to premiere next year. Both versions will showcase ties to City Ballet, where Robbins spent much of his career. Besides Mr. Ramasar’s Broadway role, Justin Peck, a resident choreographer at City Ballet, will create dance for the film.

New York City Ballet performs "The Runaway" at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center.

The ballet, made for eight dancers, weaves together modern and classical vocabulary, ranging from arabesques and jetés to moves inspired by break dancing and African dance. City Ballet principal dancer Taylor Stanley—who as a kid took jazz and hip-hop classes and dreamed of dancing for the rapper Missy Elliot—takes center stage in the work. Stanley is biracial, and Abraham was the first nonwhite choreographer he'd worked with at City Ballet.

A report on the Hong Kong Ballet by Sarah L. Kaufman in The Washington Post.

Webre, who’s just wrapped up his second season as Hong Kong Ballet’s director-choreographer, brought the same contemporary wit and vigor to the Washington Ballet, which he led for 17 years before stepping down in 2016. As Hong Kong grapples with civil unrest, including weeks of violent protests against proposed extradition laws that could cede more power to mainland China, Webre’s leadership of the ballet has brought some good news.

Harper Watters of the Houston ballet talks clothes.

“We all want to feel like a king or queen,” said Watters about Nicholson’s garment. Watters discovered the designer on Instagram, which is also his second stage, in a way. It’s where Watters shows off his artistry dancing in platform stilettos and boots and striking a pose to show off his fashion prowess. To date, Watters has attracted more than 150,000 followers.

San Francisco Ballet performs in Sun Valley.

Nearly 40 dancers graced the pavilion for two distinct performances, presented by Ballet Sun Valley, on Friday and Sunday, July 5 and 7. 

A review of American Ballet Theatre by Robert Gottlieb in the Observer.

Poor Jane Eyre—hasn’t she suffered enough? Apparently not. Marston has reduced Charlotte Brontë’s thrilling novel to an endless shaggy-governess story that’s about nothing but getting through the complicated plot and hoping the audience can follow along. As it happens, I know the book fairly well, and yet was stumped by the frantically rushed opening scenes: I should have read the synopsis, not the novel. Marston has crammed everything in—except the passion, the febrile intensity, the romantic charge. I’m prepared to believe that’s she’s made more narrative sense out of Ghosts, Lady Chatterley’s Lover, Lolita (!) than she’s made of Jane Eyre, but I’ll never believe she has serious choreographic skills. I couldn’t identify a single interesting step—or moment—in the entire mishmash. Waiter, please take this away….

A review of the Royal Danish Ballet by Gia Kourlas in The New York Times.

On Tuesday, the Joyce Theater hosted “The Bournonville Legacy,” a program arranged by Ulrik Birkkjaer, a former principal at the Royal Danish Ballet and now a principal at the San Francisco Ballet. The showcase, uneven at times, wasn’t served well by the theater; its intimacy is fine for contemporary ballet, but Bournonville needs more distance, more scope. It was the kind of night in which you couldn’t help flinching at the dancers’ nearness — and holding your breath as you willed them to hold their landings.

Mary Cargill's review for danceviewtimes.

Ulrik Birkkjaer, formerly with the Royal Danish Ballet and now dancing with the San Francisco Ballet, has put together a group of thirteen dancers (including himself) from the Royal Danish Ballet to perform excerpts from some of August Bournonville's works.  That great nineteenth century choreographer made story ballets with large casts and elaborate settings, so the evening could only hint at the magic of those glorious works, but those hints were imaginatively chosen. Even with recorded music, a bare stage, and no corps, Bournonville's variety and pure joy of movement shown through.

Q&A with Iain Mackay, director of the Yorkshire Ballet Seminars.

The Yorkshire Ballet Seminars are legendary – what did they do for you back in 1991 when you attended?

They are indeed legendary; as are most of the teachers who have been involved over the years. I remember not having a clue what to expect when I turned up to my first Seminar in 1991. I had never been away from home before so that in itself had a massive impact on me. Other than my brother Rory, I had never seen more than one other boy who was mad about ballet, and at YBS, I was surrounded by them. Many were even more enthusiastic, and all of them were more knowledgeable than me. I was so ignorant; I didn’t know the names of any dancers – I didn’t know who Nureyev or Anthony Dowell were. The only dancer that I knew of was the incredible Vincent Hantam who I had seen at Scottish Ballet and who was my idol.