This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stern Grove 7/28

Program for SFB's Stern Grove performance has been posted (https://www.sfballet.org/season/tour#sterngrove)

Stern Grove

19th Ave & Sloat Blvd, San Francisco
July 28

Learn More

A summer favorite returns when San Francisco Ballet, under the leadership of Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson, performs a selection of highlights from their current repertory at Stern Grove Festival. Conductor Martin West leads the San Francisco Ballet Orchestra.

Scotch Symphony
Composer: Felix Mendelssohn
Choreographer: George Balanchine

Diving Into the Lilacs Excerpt
Composer: Boris Tchaikovsky
Choreographer: Yuri Possokhov

The Sleeping Beauty Pas de Deux
Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson, after Marius Petipa

Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming
Composers: Anthony Gonzalez, Yann Gonzalez, Bradley Laner, and Justin Meldal-Johnsen
Choreographer: Justin Peck

A bit off topic, but…

A few nights ago I turned on one of my local PBS stations, and I saw Yuri Possokhov, Maria Kochetkova and Gennadi Nedvigin working on Diving into the Lilacs. The documentary is named Designers of the Dance, and features a lot of dance footage (rehearsal and performance) as well as interviews.

The entire broadcast can be seen at the link below - for I don't know how long. The Diving into the Lilacs segment is the first portion of the documentary:

https://www.wfyi.org/programs/designers-of-the-dance/television/designers-of-the-dance

Yuri Possikhov’s Diving into the Lilacs
Alexei Ratmansky's The Nutcracker
Leonid Lavrovsky’s Romeo & Juliet
Lar Lubovitch’s Othello
Alastair Marriott’s Lieder

Casting:

Stern Grove

Sunday, July 28, 2019 – 2:00 pm

Scotch Symphony
Choreography: George Balanchine
Music: Felix Mendelssohn
Conductor: Martin West

Mathilde Froustey, Joseph Walsh
Dores Andre

Rubies Pas de Deux from Jewels
Choreography: George Balanchine
Music: Igor Stravinsky
Piano: Natasha Feygina

Misa Kuranaga, Esteban Hernandez

The Sleeping Beauty Pas de Deux
Choreography: Helgi Tomasson after Marius Petipa
Music: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Sasha De Sola, Benjamin Freemantle

Diving Into the Lilacs excerpt
Choreography: Yuri Possokhov
Music: Boris Tchaikovsky

Yuan Yuan Tan, Carlo Di Lanno

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Choreography: Justin Peck
Music: Anthony Gonzalez, Yann Gonzalez, Bradley Laner, and Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Dores Andre, Joseph Walsh
Elizabeth Powell, Luke Ingham
Norika Matsuyama, Hansuke Yamamoto

https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting

Kuranaga dancing in Rubies - there's a preview of the coming season.

Edited by pherank
On 7/10/2019 at 12:25 AM, pherank said:

A few nights ago I turned on one of my local PBS stations, and I saw Yuri Possokhov, Maria Kochetkova and Gennadi Nedvigin working on Diving into the Lilacs. The documentary is named Designers of the Dance, and features a lot of dance footage (rehearsal and performance) as well as interviews.

Thank you very much for the link. I hadn't seen any part of Diving into the Lilacs before.

3 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

Thank you very much for the link. I hadn't seen any part of Diving into the Lilacs before.

I enjoy seeing the rehearsal footage, but there's always stops and starts, and unintended humor or frustrations. It's nice to be able to see some continuous performance footage so we get the flow of the choreography. There are a few moments, however, when Nedvigin or Kochetkova disappears off camera - that wasn't very good planning of the camera positions. But generally, it's watchable and enjoyable.