Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Sleeping Beauty


Recommended Posts

I was just noticing that Balanchine uses chaînés on demi-pointe for his corps and first two soloists in the opening of the first movement of Divertimento No. 15 — and noticing especially how very much at home the step seems there (Balanchine being as always the unparalleled master of aesthetic decorum, when it comes to choice of steps).

I imagine that, for Petipa's initial audience, the same step in Sleeping Beauty would have seemed every bit as at home.

Link to post
15 hours ago, nanushka said:

I was just noticing that Balanchine uses chaînés on demi-pointe for his corps and first two soloists in the opening of the first movement of Divertimento No. 15 — and noticing especially how very much at home the step seems there (Balanchine being as always the unparalleled master of aesthetic decorum, when it comes to choice of steps).

I imagine that, for Petipa's initial audience, the same step in Sleeping Beauty would have seemed every bit as at home.

Is this the passage you're referring to? (It's at about a minute and 50 seconds into the video.)

ETA: Divertimento No. 15 is about the most civilized ballet there is.

 

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell
Link to post
34 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

...

ETA: Divertimento No. 15 is about the most civilized ballet there is....

It's on my top3 Balanchines, along with Square Dance and Bizet. Thanks for posting this! Also, @nanushka for the Boylston SB clip!

Edited by Roberta
Link to post
1 minute ago, Roberta said:

It's on my top3 Balanchines, along with Square Dance and Bizet. Thanks for posting this!

Divert was the very first Balanchine ballet I saw at the theater formerly known as State w-a-a-a-a-y back in the late 70's. It holds a very special place in my heart, and I wish the company performed it more often. 

Link to post
3 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Is this the passage you're referring to? (It's at about a minute and 50 seconds into the video.)

I'm having trouble getting the video to play, but I think yes, that would be around where it's at in the piece. I think they all do demi-pointe chaînés into a formation at stage left.

Link to post

They are not as extensive, but the demi-soloist women in Diamonds also do chaînés on demi-pointe in the scherzo, and as in Ratmansky's SB, they contrast with the full-pointe chaînés the ballerina does at the end of her big first solo passage.

Link to post
7 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

They are not as extensive, but the demi-soloist women in Diamonds also do chaînés on demi-pointe in the scherzo, and as in Ratmansky's SB, they contrast with the full-pointe chaînés the ballerina does at the end of her big first solo passage.

Ah thanks, I hadn't recalled those — will take a look.

Link to post

And they're laced through the Bournonville rep as well.  I think that's a product of its own time -- during the Romantic period, pointe work was transitioning from being a total special effect to a more integrated part of technique, but it didn't make that change all in one moment.

Link to post

I think the ABT women do their chaines on a very high demi point and quite fast with the arms held down to their sides, hands placed just above the tutu. I’ve grown to like them when done in this way. My recollection when SB debuted  was that they looked very clunky and slowed the momentum of the dance. I wonder if they’ve been tweaked over the ensuing years. 

Link to post
On 7/18/2019 at 1:47 PM, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Divert was the very first Balanchine ballet I saw at the theater formerly known as State w-a-a-a-a-y back in the late 70's. It holds a very special place in my heart, and I wish the company performed it more often. 

I'm completely with you!  I had the same experience seeing the first Balanchine ballet in person, Divertimento #15, June 1979, Suzanne Farrell, an unforgettable performance.  I too wish they would do it more often. Leaving the theater I checked the program and casting for the next day's matinee: Baryshnikov and McBride in Other Dances. Fabulous again!  I know NYCB did this recently, but this ballet also seems not to be performed often enough.

Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...