Dale

ABT Fall 2019 NY season

57 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I've been attending NYCB performances since the late 70's, and trust me, the corps has never been renowned for its uniformity. I remember gasping in shock when the curtain went up on Symphony in Three Movements during a performance that took place about mid-way into the Martins era because I had never seen that diagonal line of corps women look so straight. 

Not all of their Balanchine is objectionable. I can tell you that I would much rather see Shevchenko in Mozartiana than Mearns. 

You are completely right about NYCB not known for uniformity. I pointed it out since someone had written that ABT shouldn't perform it because this ballet requires uniformity. That's simply not true although I do prefer it when they are more in unison. 

And yes, I'd rather see Shevchenko or even Teauscher in Mozartiana than Mearns. 

1 hour ago, canbelto said:

Sure they can do it. But their Balanchine performances are objectively disgusting and awful. 

I don't think anyone can say any company's Balanchine is OBJECTIVELY disgusting and awful. One with SOME ballet background can't say such thing so lightly. 

Edited by alexL

1 hour ago, alexL said:

You are completely right about NYCB not known for uniformity. I pointed it out since someone had written that ABT shouldn't perform it because this ballet requires uniformity. That's simply not true although I do prefer it when they are more in unison. 

And yes, I'd rather see Shevchenko or even Teauscher in Mozartiana than Mearns. 

I don't think anyone can say any company's Balanchine is OBJECTIVELY disgusting and awful. One with SOME ballet background can't say such thing so lightly. 

Entirely agree on City Ballet. I think of NYCB as a company of soloists — on the one hand, because there’s so much incredible talent at every level; on the other, because I expect more, erm, “individuality” than coordinated movement among the corps. Also agree that “objectively” is a interesting and likely inaccurate adverb here.

I am so, so, so hoping that I’ll be able to get to Shevchenko’s inevitable T&V in the fall. I can only imagine what she’ll bring to the role!

2 hours ago, Roberta said:

Give me any Balanchine by ABT, performed 100 times, than one Jane Eyre!

Yes indeed.

Since Calvin is dancing Apollo at Vail, I'm really hoping he'll get to perform it this fall season. He and Herman are who I most want to see as Apollo. Way back in 2016, Herman was supposed to dance Apollo with Isabella, Tiler and Misa for City Center's fall for dance. Herman had to pull out due to injury so Robbie stepped in. While happy to see Robbie's Apollo, I was also disappointed to miss Herman. I'd love for his 20th anniversary to include Apollo with Sarah, Skylar and Isabella. (Please no Misty.) 

When will casting go up? Does anyone remember from last year? 

Edited by Fleurfairy

1 minute ago, Fleurfairy said:

For the fall season it often comes out piecemeal (certain works get posted while others are still TBA) rather than all at once.

27 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

Frustrating that nothing is posted yet on casting. Friends above a certain level can buy tickets starting this Thursday. General public sales start Monday, 7/22. Casting for new Tharp pieces always seems to be very last minute, but I was hoping that they'd at least decide on T&V and Apollo, to decide if it's worth a trip I can work in.

42 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

I imagine that casting will not be announced until they start rehearsing in early September especially for new ballets.

On 6/27/2019 at 4:32 PM, ABT Fan said:

Yep. I remember seeing it at Avery Fischer Hall (when they held one Fall season there in 2009) with Maria Riccetto and Jared Matthews.

I think Boylston also danced No Assembly Required (while still in the corps) although I thought I saw it at City Center.

In terms of Balanchine, I'm happy with anything except Prodigal Son and Fancy Free, which I've seen too much.

(And yet I have very special memories of a Vishneva/ Corella Tchaicovsky Pas that just can't be matched by the current squad.)

9 hours ago, DeCoster said:

In terms of Balanchine, I'm happy with anything except Prodigal Son and Fancy Free, which I've seen too much.

Fancy Free is Robbins.

11 hours ago, DeCoster said:

(And yet I have very special memories of a Vishneva/ Corella Tchaicovsky Pas that just can't be matched by the current squad.)

I could imagine a dazzling Tchai Pas with Brandt and Cornejo. 

12 hours ago, DeCoster said:

Are you sure that it wasn't Reyes/Corella?  Or another possibility Herrera?  Not that I doubt your memories, but I don't remember Vishneva dancing at any of ABT's Fall seasons.  But someone please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.  Guess I could start going through my playbills but it's not worth it.....

Edited by NinaFan
typo

59 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

Are you sure that it wasn't Reyes/Corella?  Or another possibility Herrera?  Not that I doubt your memories, but I don't remember Vishneva dancing at any of ABT's Fall seasons.  But someone please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.  Guess I could start going through my playbills but it's not worth it.....

ABT has performed Tchai Pas during spring seasons at the Met as well. Not sure if Vishneva ever danced it there though.

49 minutes ago, nanushka said:

ABT has performed Tchai Pas during spring seasons at the Met as well. Not sure if Vishneva ever danced it there though.

Yes, that makes sense.  My guess is that they danced together at the MET.  My brain was working on fall seasons....

3 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Or Brandt /Simkin.

20 minutes ago, abatt said:

Or Brandt /Simkin.

I’d be biting my nails before the flying fish dives. His partnering has improved but I’d be nervous watching that part. Unless they simplified it.

17 minutes ago, its the mom said:

Simkin is not listed for the fall season, is he?

Correct.  Simkin is not performing in the fall season.

4 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

I'd go out of my way to see that! Of the ABT dancers, Brandt is the first to come to mind for Tschai Pas. I'd also be interested to see what Hurlin could do with it, and Lane.

8 minutes ago, mille-feuille said:

I'd go out of my way to see that! Of the ABT dancers, Brandt is the first to come to mind for Tschai Pas. I'd also be interested to see what Hurlin could do with it, and Lane.

Yes to all of those ladies. Also Shevchenko.

1 hour ago, its the mom said:

Simkin is not listed for the fall season, is he?

That's right, I had forgotten.  On to some of the other dream casts....

5 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

That's right, I had forgotten.  On to some of the other dream casts....

Well the piece isn't on the schedule either — so I'd say dream away, for Simkin or anyone else!

7 hours ago, abatt said:

Fancy Free is Robbins.

And originally made for Ballet Theater

Box office opened today but there are no cast listings. Does anyone know if and when those will be posted? Not that the cast listed will still be the same dancers in October as announced in July or August! I am hesitant to buy tickets until I know who is expected to dance.