This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2019 NY season

The breakup of the Lane/Cornejo partnership is tragic but definitely spells more trouble for Lane. Cornejo has Copeland, Trenary and Brandt to dance with. Lane doesn't have such options. Simkin is part time but more like a one off guest artist and Gorak is a weak partner. I would like to see her dance with Hoven or Stearns, the latter were amazing in Some Assembly Required. But Stearns already has Seo and Teuscher. I did like Lane with Carlos Gonzalez. 

Just possibly someone in Lane’s position with the company should have done whatever it took to keep her partnership with Cornejo alive. There is nothing that suggests he is such an ogre that it would have entailed something truly odious. I too think Lane is one of the best female dancers on the ABT roster and we don’t know the facts but you have to wonder. Most people put up with a lot in their jobs. 

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Who are you thinking of, I’m curious?

Lane can dance with anyone, and we've seen her do so, this year and in the past.  Stearns, Hoven, Simkin, Marcelo Gomes, Craig Salstein, Roman Zhurbin, or any one of the young male dancers who Ratmansky has pulled from the corps for leading roles, like Tyler Maloney, Carlos Gonzales, Jonathan Klein.  Lack of a suitable partner is no excuse to sidelined her from extra performances.  A little creative thinking and extra coaching would help, too.

Blaine Hoven definitely possible, as well as Joo Woo Ahn and Calvin Royal, all good soloists without regular partners. Aran Bell and Thomas Forster are probably too tall and will be used for the taller women. But if she's comfortable with Gorak then I don't see why she shouldn't dance with him.

2 hours ago, angelica said:

I am so sorry that Simkin isn't dancing more. He really blossomed at ABT, which helped him develop his line and his partnering. I think he owes them a couple more shows.

Agree. He reminds me a lot of Baryshnikov in style and physical appearance. He was always exciting to watch. And has great chemistry with Lane. So I will absolutely be there for their Giselle. 

1 minute ago, Fleurfairy said:

And has great chemistry with Lane. So I will absolutely be there for their Giselle. 

Yes, I really hope they dance the new "Of Love and Rage" together. And that the tba on Lane's Sleeping Beauty turns out to be Simkin's debut. I so wish he was her Romeo.

31 minutes ago, Olga said:

Most people put up with a lot in their jobs. 

Most people don't have to put their hands all over their coworkers, get their coworkers' sweat all over them, and entrust their coworkers with their physical well-being — the very thing a dancer depends upon for her career.

16 minutes ago, laurel said:

Lane can dance with anyone, and we've seen her do so, this year and in the past.  Stearns, Hoven, Simkin, Marcelo Gomes, Craig Salstein, Roman Zhurbin, or any one of the young male dancers who Ratmansky has pulled from the corps for leading roles, like Tyler Maloney, Carlos Gonzales, Jonathan Klein.  Lack of a suitable partner is no excuse to sidelined her from extra performances.  A little creative thinking and extra coaching would help, too.

Thanks Laurel! I too was thinking of the corps members you listed: Tyler Maloney, Carlos Gonzales, Jonathan Klein (no idea how tall any of them are, though). I'd be excited to see her paired with any of them. I respect Lane + Cornejo's decision not to dance with one another anymore, and hope she finds a connection soon (I enjoy Cornejo with both Trenary and Copeland, although I know that's not a popular opinion).

Nothing against Gorak, who has been wonderful in many soloist roles. I just don't think he's up for those effortless lifts and hasn't (in my limited experience of seeing him, so any other insights are welcome) displayed significant acting skills to carry a ballet. Hope to be proven wrong! 

33 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Most people don't have to put their hands all over their coworkers, get their coworkers' sweat all over them, and entrust their coworkers with their physical well-being — the very thing a dancer depends upon for her career.

There are many kinds of jobs, many kinds of dangers, many kinds of intimacy, and many kinds of oppression. Some of them are far worse than ballet. We don’t know the facts here. Lane has a history of being impolitic. Just possibly (quoting myself) this was another instance. Maybe not. 

4 hours ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Wow. I don’t follow lane on Instagram but went to look at that post after you referenced it here. Posting a long caption beginning  “the greatest examples are those who have the courage to live in humility, who do not need to be puffed up...” on the day of Herman’s big anniversary extravaganza certainly seems like some serious shade directed at her former dance partner. Have to say I don’t think that was very classy or gracious of her, regardless of the current state of her feelings towards Herman. 

And with a biblical reference.

4 hours ago, Leah said:

Right. We don't know the facts, so let's not judge.  There will always be worse kinds of oppression than whatever any one of us may face in our lifetimes, it doesn't give others the right to treat us badly or us to order dancers to make themselves uncomfortable for our viewing pleasure.

we also have no idea whose choice it is not to dance with whom. It could be Cornejo who isn't comfortable dancing with her for personal reasons.

Let's keep in mind we have no idea if one of them treated the other badly or if this was a mutual decision.

4 minutes ago, aurora said:

we also have no idea whose choice it is not to dance with whom. It could be Cornejo who isn't comfortable dancing with her for personal reasons.

Let's keep in mind we have no idea if one of them treated the other badly or if this was a mutual decision.

All absolutely right Aurora.

11 minutes ago, aurora said:

Very true. It does seem telling that Cornejo has done a deep erasure of Lane from his Instagram, going back several years. While Lane still has posts like this up. 

Oh well. 

If Gorak could lift Copeland in R&J then he should be able to lift Lane, who's around the same size if not smaller. 

On another note, the "New Romantics" program today was not great. (I wasn't really expecting it to be, but hey, the tickets were on sale.) There were things to like about Whiteside's piece but it felt like something that belongs in, well, a dance festival. There was an amateurish, choppy quality to it, although there were some nice moments with Hurlin/Bell and Teuscher/Royal/Ahn. Garden Blue did not need to make a comeback, and it definitely does not need to make another comeback in the spring(!). It's pretty, kind of like a Joan Miro painting, but so, soooo boring as a moving piece of art. The color palette is distracting and the music is really unexciting as dance music. 

I actually liked Bond's piece despite its imperfections. It had the most energy, drama, and the dancers were really "on" ... it's the kind of fast-paced piece that looks great on Whiteside and Boylston. I think it could have been really great if maybe Bond had more time to fine-tune it and work with the choreographic equivalent of an "editor" to trim some of the excess. That said, it still made for a good closer after an otherwise lackluster program. 

3 hours ago, nubka said:

Because depending on the role, he can't lift her?

Exactly. Who knows how comfortable she is now after that weak partnering in T&V. This is her dream role and she might be saddled with a partner who can't lift her. Let's hope our worrying is in vain and their performance goes off without a hitch.