This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Swan Lake

3 minutes ago, canbelto said:

@FauxPas who is at the performance just texted me:

Misty for the white acts, Sarah for black swan.

Oh wow, very interesting. Good call, @Inge! If I didn't also find phone use in the theater so rude I'd be begging anyone at the performance now to live-post it here!!

2 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

That is so strange. I wonder why? Misty can’t be injured then? 

Is there any sort of injury she could have that would make Odette feasible but Odile not so?

Edited by nanushka
10 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Is there any sort of injury she could have that would make Odette feasible but Odile not so?

I really can’t imagine what that would be. Odile has more forceful or “dynamic” choreography (fouettés!) but neither role is easy.

I believe this is a first, though, with separating the roles, albeit at the last minute. (It was originally performed that way, but no longer.)

Edited by ABT Fan

The only somewhat analogous situation I can think of is when Julie Kent pulled out of the Odette but not Odile, which seemed like the exact opposite of what you'd expect based on her late-career strengths. I believe Dvorovenko danced Odette that night. I don't believe there was any announcement of injury that time. In retrospect, I wondered if it might have had something to do with Kent's second pregnancy and what she felt comfortable dancing if that was the case (I truly don't remember if the timing lined up, though). 

Edited by fondoffouettes
8 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

The only somewhat analogous situation I can think of is when Julie Kent pulled out of the Odette but not Odile, which seemed like the exact opposite of what you'd expect based on her late-career strengths. I believe Dvorovenko danced Odette that night. I don't believe there was any announcement of injury that time. In retrospect, I wondered if it might have had something to do with Kent's second pregnancy and what she felt comfortable dancing if that was the case (I truly don't remember if the timing lined up, though). 

I was at that performance. I remember she struggled with Odile too, so I wonder why she didn't just do Odette and had Dvorovenko do Odile.

I wonder if it was Copeland who suggested the substitution.  Maybe she was anticipating exhaustion, or had some trouble during rehearsal.  Last week Lane proved to management how fantastic she can be as a manipulative seductress.  Maybe this will prove to be a good thing all around.  If it leads to Lane getting her own scheduled Swan Lake performance next season, it most definitely will be worth it.

Just now, laurel said:

I wonder if it was Copeland who suggested the substitution.  Maybe she was anticipating exhaustion, or had some trouble during rehearsal.  Last week Lane proved to management how fantastic she can be as a manipulative seductress.  Maybe this will prove to be a good thing all around.  If it leads to Lane getting her own scheduled Swan Lake performance next season, it most definitely will be worth it.

Hopefully. But, she was given what 2 hours notice?!?! I know that happens for when a replacement is needed for an entire ballet, but it’s not as if she’s cast for this ballet and is fully rehearsed already. 

Just now, California said:

Last week, some company members were taping from the wings and posting on Instagram. Let's hope they do that tonight for Lane!

I found that to be an interesting development. I always assumed many companies would have social media policies prohibiting that.

2 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Hopefully. But, she was given what 2 hours notice?!?! I know that happens for when a replacement is needed for an entire ballet, but it’s not as if she’s cast for this ballet and is fully rehearsed already. 

Maybe not fully rehearsed, but I wonder if she was assigned as a cover for this run of the ballet. I believe there's an assigned cover every night, though I think that's often another dancer performing the role.

It could be that Copeland's turning leg is bother her? But then again, she could just do the menage like last year if that were the case.

A few hours notice is certainly not the best case scenario, so I hope Lane will be okay. Also, while she certainly can do the entire fouette series, she's not regularly cast in roles that include 32 counts in fouettes, and she's not a natural trickster turner like Murphy or Brandt. I hope she can pull it off, and if she doesn't, I hope she's not too disappointed in herself. Last year's DQ fouettes were great, but she had a lot of time to practice and decide on the tempo.

I hope Copeland's injury isn't anything serious or anything that could lead to something serious. She's not doing SB, so she'll be able to rest for a while.

3 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I found that to be an interesting development. I always assumed many companies would have social media policies prohibiting that.

ABT is a lot more easy going than NYCB when it comes to taking pictures/video from the side. I believe NYCB dancers can't even take a photo at dress rehearsals, let alone video.

Also, it's not like they're posting an entire segment. It's just bits and pieces here and there. Personally, I love it when they post stuff :)

1 minute ago, LadyBubbles said:

I hope Copeland's injury isn't anything serious or anything that could lead to something serious. She's not doing SB, so she'll be able to rest for a while.

Yes, with her fan following I would imagine she feels pressure to dance even if she's mildly injured, which of course could only make things worse. Perhaps dancing only Odette was a way of performing through injury while minimizing the danger of a worsening injury. It's at least a reasonably defensible way of shortening the role and making it less taxing.

Just now, LadyBubbles said:

Personally, I love it when they post stuff :)

Oh me too!!

5 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

The whole thing seems odd. Putting someone in who isn't even cast in SL this year, is very strange. They could have gone with Boylston. Isn't she short enough for Cornejo? I know she's doing it tomorrow, but it seems to me they had Hee Seo do consecutive at some point, and it isn't the entire ballet. Also, when did this decision get made? So many question!!! Never-the-less, I'm glad Sarah Lane got the opportunity. I hope she has a big success.

Cornejo as partner might also have something to do with going with Lane. Perhaps the other O/Os are too tall or too exhausted or getting ready for tomorrow, etc.  Lane did the role in 2017 with Simkin, so she does know it and it would make sense for her to be available as understudy.

Lane will be dancing with Cornejo again, and he knows how to support her and offer her confidence.  After her fouette issue two years ago, she'll never make the same mistake again, and either will sweep through the sequence or have a graceful exit planned.  I think she'll be just fine.

I believe the company dancers are the ones that manage the ABT Instagram account so they are obviously given a lot more leeway. Which is why I enjoy ABT’s Instagram so much more than NYCB’s (which is just basically used as an ad campaign). ABT’s gives us a lot of behind the scenes perspective. 

4 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

I believe the company dancers are the ones that manage the ABT Instagram account so they are obviously given a lot more leeway. Which is why I enjoy ABT’s Instagram so much more than NYCB’s (which is just basically used as an ad campaign). ABT’s gives us a lot of behind the scenes perspective. 

I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the actual performance footage last week was on the @abtofficial account. Most of the videos were stories, and I think they were on individual accounts.

I agree about the value and quality of the account; I enjoy their content.

Edited by nanushka
15 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

Connor Holloway, who is a corps dancer, manages ABT’s Instagram account. 

https://instagram.com/conholl?igshid=qb6i9bsx9te7

I wonder if we’ll find out what led to this decision tonight, though I think it will be unlikely.

Intermission report:

Interesting performance tonight.  Act I was very good.  Herman a refined, introspective Siegfried.  The pas de trois featured Luis Ribagorda as Benno partnering Luciana Paris and Betsy McBride.  Paris danced with lots of animation though few match Erica Cornejo in the coda (she is on the DVD). McBride with her broad smile, gorgeous port de bras and crisp footwork was an unalloyed delight.  More please.  Ribagorda danced with dash and attack and brio.  

Act II:  Misty doesn’t look obviously injured.  However her entrance and solo as Odette require the ballerina to hold an arabesque and balance for a few seconds.  Misty didn’t hold the arabesque and got off it quickly.  There was one bobble on the developpes in her solo.  She is a good turner.  Otherwise, Misty is an attractive and pleasing but not profound or grand exponent of Odette.  The curves of her body create gorgeous lines.  Her toffee caramel complexion looks ravishing against her white tutu.  He is naturally a warm stage personality who is responsive and sympathetic.  She is not a doomed victim of fate.  She and Herman have a wonderful rapport and by the end of the pas de deux they were both lovely.