Josette

Promotions for 2019-2020 Season

Announced on the company's FB:  

Brendan Saye promoted to Principal Dancer.  Ben Rudisin and Donald Thom to First Soloist.  Jeannine Haller, Siphesihle November, Kota Sato, and Calley Skalnik to Second Soloist. 

Andreea Olteanu and Rui Huang are retiring from dancing with the company. 

Also, as many of us know, the divinely soulful ballerina, Xiao Nan Yu, retires after 22 years with the National Ballet.  

Shene Lazarus, formerly of the San Francisco Ballet, has announced that she is joining the National Ballet in July of 2019; and I am informed that there is another dancer joining but it is not officially announced. 

Out of curiosity, do posters here think Brendan Saye is ready for this promotion? He's very tall, has a beautiful body and a compelling way of moving. But last season his attempt at the Prince in Nureyev's Sleeping Beauty was very raw. To say that he struggled with the jumps would be putting it kindly. He was not alone in his inability to do a manège of grand allegro, but the others aren't being promoted to principal. Has there been a dramatic improvement since then?

Brendan Saye is not a great classical technician, but he is excellent in modern ballet, such as Apollo and Forsythe, with great musicality and stage presence. His Apollo was almost as good as Hallberg's IMHO. 

I thought Saye did well in the roles I saw him in this season.  I've been watching him since he was an Apprentice - has certainly come a long way.

In other news, I see on Felix Paquet's twitter that he is going to dance in Hamburg.  I've not seen anything from NBOC indicating that he is leaving the company - has anyone else seen news?

Thanks for this.  Good for him - I think it's nice when dancers broaden their horizons (though I have missed Robert Stephen and Dylan Tedaldi this season).  

Koto Ishihara of San Francisco Ballet will join NBoC as first soloist.

Here's a link to an article about Koto Ishihara from six years back.

It's nice to see in the roster on the company webpage that Isaac Wright's now in the corps.

Posted (edited)

Two other recent photos of Ishihara (one with company members) - this time with SFB Ballet Master Felipe Diaz who seems to be in Toronto as a répétiteur:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0rTpx-AUZ4/

On his own Instagram page, Diaz states, "I think Alexei would have enjoyed it. Much success to you all." So I'm thinking that is a reference to Alexei Ratmansky, and he must be coaching Piano Concerto #1 for NBoC.

Edited by pherank