Buddy

Mariinsky — La Bayadere — Costa Mesa Oct. 16-20, 2019

I’d be glad to try the sweepstakes started here.

https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/44725-mariinsky-la-bayadère-zellerbach-berkeley-oct-30-nov-3/?tab=comments#comment-414541

For Nikiya — ‘the usual suspects.’ Yekaterina Kondaurova and Viktoria Tereshkina. The first excels as a ballerina/dramatist and the second is rapidly becoming the same.

Maria Khoreva is debuting in July and will probably be here as well.

Alina Somova, who rarely travels, and Oxana Skorik, being a new mother who might not travel, would be exceptional choices.

Gamzatti — Yekaterina Osmolkina (Excellent!) and Anastasia Nuikina (debuting in July).

The same for Berkeley and Yekaterina K, Viktoria T and Maria K for Jewels in Los Angeles — unless ! — they give all the LA performances to Yekaterina Kondaurova (she did all the leads at the Festival a few years ago) and send everyone else ahead of time to San Francisco/Berkeley to enjoy the magnificent setting.

https://www.scfta.org/events/2019/mariinsky-ballet

Posted (edited)

Thanks to Dreamer for finding and posting the cast.

Wednesday, October 16 at 7:30 p.m.

Nikia – Alina Somova

Solor – Kimin Kim

Gamzatti – Nadezhda Batoeva

Thursday, October 17 at 7:30 p.m.

Nikia – Maria Khoreva

Solor – Vladimir Shklyarov

Gamzatti – Anastasia Nuikina

Friday, October 18 at 7:30 p.m.

Nikia – Ekaterina Kondaurova

Solor – Timur Askerov

Gamzatti – Ekaterina Chebykina

Saturday, October 19 at 1:00 p.m.

Nikia – Alina Somova

Solor – Kimin Kim

Gamzatti – Nadezhda Batoeva

Saturday, October 19 at 7:30 p.m.

Nikia – Maria Khoreva

Solor – Vladimir Shklyarov

Gamzatti – Anastasia Nuikina

Sunday October 20 at 1:00 p.m.

Nikia – Ekaterina Kondaurova

Solor – Andrei Ermakov

Gamzatti – Ekaterina Chebykina

https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/44722-segerstrom-center-international-dance-series-2019-20/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-417214

By the way there are several video clips of Maria Khoreva’s debut as Nikia. She looks very good.

Also !   ….in a recent one Yekaterina Kondaurova does her performance at the court. About three minutes in she rises on pointe and very slowly goes into an attitude (one leg bent behind). The first time she has to come down to a flat foot to be able to lift the back leg. I watched another ballerina and she had to use the flat foot both times. I’m not a great watcher of the feet but I’ve never noticed anything like this before. Brava, Yekaterina Kondaurova !

Edited by Buddy

Really??? Nuikina gets two shows, and in a role she's never even done before? There are other dancers in the company, who have performed this role, that I'd much rather pay money to see. 

And from what I've seen, again, Khoreva is technically stunning, but boring artistically. Smiling isn't the only way to portray a character. 

Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, annaewgn said:

Really??? Nuikina gets two shows, and in a role she's never even done before? There are other dancers in the company, who have performed this role, that I'd much rather pay money to see. 

And from what I've seen, again, Khoreva is technically stunning, but boring artistically. Smiling isn't the only way to portray a character. 

I completely agree, annaewgn. The week prior to this, the company will be here in Washington, DC, with Paquita. Even though casting is not yet announced for the Kennedy Center run, I'll bet the farm that DC will be seeing the same principals as in Bayadere:  Somova, Khoreva (likely first night) and Kondaurova as Paquita;  Kim, Schklyarov, Askerov as Lucien. That said, I would not mind it a bit if DC/Paquita gets Terioshkina in place of Somova. :FIREdevil:

I've since looked at the Mariinsky web's archived playbills. Somova/Kim may be tapped for the Bayadere leg of the tour but neither has danced the full-length version of Paquita.

Edited by Roberta
Paquita intel

I agree as well, annaewgn.  I don't find Khoreva interesting to watch at the present, but that is only from what I have seen posted online. I've seen ballerinas with artistry who were technically stunning and it was their artistry that infused their performances with substance and meaning.   I am dreading seeing Khoreva in Diamonds, having watched a clip from her initial performance, and I hope that she has some charm, mystery, musical sensitivity or quality that comes across in person that I couldn't perceive from a filmed clip.  

I am delighted that Kondaurova, Batoeva, and Shklyarkov are performing. Kondaurova danced one of the best Swan Lakes I've seen, differentiating between the two roles beautifully, and dancing luxuriously.  I adore Shklyarkov, who has great charisma. Batoeva is a personal favorite of mine. 

I haven't seen Somova dance since she did an empty , technically efficient, unmusical Odette-Odile several years ago in O.C. (she was alternating the role with Vishneva and Lopatkina, so deficiencies were striking), but I saw one of her first Auroras and liked her very much.  

4 hours ago, Roberta said:

I completely agree, annaewgn. The week prior to this, the company will be here in Washington, DC, with Paquita. Even though casting is not yet announced for the Kennedy Center run, I'll bet the farm that DC will be seeing the same principals as in Bayadere:  Somova, Khoreva (likely first night) and Kondaurova as Paquita;  Kim, Schklyarov, Askerov as Lucien. That said, I would not mind it a bit if DC/Paquita gets Terioshkina in place of Somova. :FIREdevil:

I definitely have my eyes on going to the Kennedy Center performances-- I wasn't able to make it to Corsaire (though, with all the casting changes, I am not upset I didn't make it) so I really want to go to Paquita-- I think the new production looks quite spectacular, and it has a large cast of soloist roles, so we'll hopefully get to see a good range of dancers. 

I would hope Tereshkina performs in DC! I saw her as Nikiya in Bayadere and she was stunning! 

2 hours ago, Josette said:

I agree as well, annaewgn.  I don't find Khoreva interesting to watch at the present, but that is only from what I have seen posted online. I've seen ballerinas with artistry who were technically stunning and it was their artistry that infused their performances with substance and meaning.   I am dreading seeing Khoreva in Diamonds, having watched a clip from her initial performance, and I hope that she has some charm, mystery, musical sensitivity or quality that comes across in person that I couldn't perceive from a filmed clip.  

I feel like we all knew that no matter what, Khoreva was going to be a star. I just wish she (and others) had spent time in the corps, paying dues, and transitioning from student to professional. There is a very stark contrast, in my opinion, from the dancers who paid their dues in the corps and are now dancing as soloists/principals, to the ones who jumped straight to stardom. 

I really want to like Khoreva, but she just doesn't bring anything exciting to her performances. I guess time will tell how she grows and develops as a dancer.

Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, annaewgn said:

Nuikina was announced for California Gamzatti performances before she was pulled from her debut in St. Petersburg. It is possible the casting will change...though who knows?  I liked Nuikina as an odalesque in Corsaire when I saw her dance in D.C.—her dancing seemed rather better than what one can glean from youtube. Haven’t the faintest if she would be ready for Gamzatti. 

And fortunately, Khoreva did not at all “smile” her way through Medora at the performance of Corsaire I saw her dance. Her stage presence did still seem quite undeveloped, but I at least appreciated that she didn’t overcompensate, so to speak, or seem affected in any way. If my plans pan out, I likely will see her in Paquita—and that may well be a better role for her at this stage than Nikiya.

(I have a long wish list of other dancers I hope to see in Paquita in a range of roles—and they include dancers at the very start of their careers, long established principals, and everything in between.)

Edited to add: Tereshkina IS a stunning Nikiya! 

Edited by Drew
edited because I should not mis-spell the English version of the name of one of the best ballerinas in the world (Tereshkina)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Drew said:

Nuikina was announced for California Gamzatti performances before she was pulled from her debut in St. Petersburg. It is possible the casting will change...though who knows?  I liked Nuikina as an odalesque in Corsaire when I saw her dance in D.C.—her dancing seemed rather better than what one can glean from youtube. Haven’t the faintest if she would be ready for Gamzatti. 

And fortunately, Khoreva did not at all “smile” her way through Medora at the performance of Corsaire I saw her dance. Her stage presence did still seem quite undeveloped, but I at least appreciated that she didn’t overcompensate, so to speak, or seem affected in any way. If my plans pan out, I likely will see her in Paquita—and that may well be a better role for her at this stage than Nikiya.

(I have a long wish list of other dancers I hope to see in Paquita in a range of roles—and they include dancers at the very start of their careers, long established principals, and everything in between.)

Edited to add: Tershkina IS a stunning Nikiya! 

Viktoria Tereshkina is becoming more "stunning" each time that I see her, Drew. I was hoping to see her as Nikia but am quite pleased with Alina Somova, who seems to be appearing more, somewhat filling in for Oxana Skorik when necessary. I'm hoping to view each one. As I implied at the beginning of this topic, if Alina Somova, Yekaterina Kondaurova and even Maria Khoreva hit their stride, we could see performances of a lifetime. I've seen all of them do remarkably well. I would add the Bolshoi's Olga Smirnova, Svetlana Zakharova and Alyona Kovalyova (all with Vaganova-Mariinsky backgrounds) to the list and you would possibly have the best ballerinas in the world. Any dancer can have an evening of a lifetime and hopefully many will, but these artists are the most likely.  

Edited by Buddy
format adjustment

6 hours ago, Drew said:

If my plans pan out, I likely will see her in Paquita—and that may well be a better role for her at this stage than Nikiya.

Agree-- Paquita (especially in the Act III Grand Pas) is highly technical (but we all know Khoreva has crystal-clear technique), and while not to detract from the artistry and emotion required to perform Paquita, it is a much more smiley and happy role than Nikiya. 

6 hours ago, Drew said:

It is possible the casting will change...though who knows?  I liked Nuikina as an odalesque in Corsaire when I saw her dance in D.C.—her dancing seemed rather better than what one can glean from youtube. Haven’t the faintest if she would be ready for Gamzatti. 

I doubt they'd change her casting, unless she gets injured again-- she's highly favorited, for whatever reason. I just can't sit through a video of her without cringing or squirming. Her technique is incredibly rough, and it's very obvious that she's not ready for most of the roles she performs.