This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Le Corsaire

Really looking forward to seeing Brooklyn Mack in his ABT debut, yet disappointed that Cornejo is still injured and not able to dance. Sure hope he recovers by next week.

Some other big debuts happening as well - Teuscher as Medora, K. Williams and Trenary as Gulnare, Hoven and Bell as Lankendem.

Eager to read everyone's reports.

15 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Really looking forward to seeing Brooklyn Mack in his ABT debut. . .

People might remember the uproar when Mack and the Washington Ballet were unable to work out an agreement. He will be a guest artist with the English National Ballet in Corsaire this winter, but they haven't announced casting dates yet:

https://www.ballet.org.uk/people/brooklyn-mack/

Edited by California
2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

In case you aren't following Simkin on Instagram, this is what he may attempt for his manege in the pas de trois:

OMG!  Thank you for posting!  I have three of his four Ali's, so hopefully he'll attempt it at one of the performances!  Can't wait! 

I'm sooo sorry that Herman (my favorite ABT male dance) is injured. But at the same time, I'm really looking forward to seeing guest artist Brooklyn Mack. I saw him dance about five years ago in Washington, DC. Wow… “electrifying” is a good word to describe Brooklyn's dancing. I’m very anxious to see how he does at the Met.

10 hours ago, BalletFan said:

I'm sooo sorry that Herman (my favorite ABT male dance) is injured. But at the same time, I'm really looking forward to seeing guest artist Brooklyn Mack. I saw him dance about five years ago in Washington, DC. Wow… “electrifying” is a good word to describe Brooklyn's dancing. I’m very anxious to see how he does at the Met.

Like many on BA, I'm sorry that Cornjeo has been out with injury as well.   ABT still has him listed in Manon, so maybe he'll be recovered enough to dance next week? 

I've never seen Mack before and I'm looking forward to seeing him.  I'm especially excited about seeing Simkin's Ali.  Whether he does the triple saute de basque manège or not, he is always an exceptional Ali.

Since Manon is a new ballet for Cornejo, I have to wonder whether he even had enough (or any?) rehearsal time for this ballet given his injury.  Even if he is now recovered (which I don't know) how does he make up for the lost rehearsal time?

5 minutes ago, abatt said:

Since Manon is a new ballet for Cornejo, I have to wonder whether he even had enough (or any?) rehearsal time for this ballet given his injury.  Even if he is now recovered (which I don't know) how does he make up for the lost rehearsal time?

I had seen on Lane's Instagram a month or two back a short video of her rehearsing Manon (a scene with others, and not with Cornejo). They always start rehearsing Met ballets months in advance so presumably Lane and Cornejo already had rehearsals together. Obviously, he would have lost some (how much?) rehearsal time since he's been injured. So, I agree, how does one make that up, especially when it's a debut?

43 minutes ago, abatt said:

At the talk last week, he seemed confident he would be performing in Manon and was very excited about the debut.

I'd surmise that he possibly could have done Corsaire but ultimately (regretfully) withdrew from that in order to not risk jeopardizing a debut that is clearly very important to him.

6 minutes ago, BalletFan said:

Yes, I agree Aurora. I was also at the talk last week and Herman gave every indication that he will perform in Manon as planned. And yes, he seemed very excited about it. So let's keep our fingers crossed....

He's 38 years old and ABT likely won't do Manon again for 2-3 years, so he might sense that this is his last chance.

28 minutes ago, California said:

He's 38 years old and ABT likely won't do Manon again for 2-3 years, so he might sense that this is his last chance.

ABT typically revives a ballet for two years, so hopefully he'll make his debut next Tuesday and then get to see him as des Grieux again next year.

Edited by NinaFan
25 minutes ago, California said:

Really glad to hear these reports that he hopes to go on in Manon. I'd be sorry to miss the special connection he and Lane share as partners. 

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if they are using those muddy sets from last time or reverting to the much more attractive (in my opinion) production they'd previously used? 

2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Really glad to hear these reports that he hopes to go on in Manon. I'd be sorry to miss the special connection he and Lane share as partners. 

If you follow Bolle on Instagram, he just posted a new "story" -- video of the last moments of the final PdD with Bolle and Seo -- filmed by Cornejo. Can't see anything about costumes and they're setting up for Corsaire, of course. I love when she rushes away from him, falls forward, and he catches her under the arms at the last possible moment. High risk that you don't always see.

Am at tonight’s Corsaire and ABT has inserted a note into the program stating that they recognize the Ballet depicts “challenging subject matter” and “disturbing social norms of bygone eras”. They say they’ve adjusted certain scenes “in tone and character out of respect for those whose lives were marginalized” but “there may still be images some find offensive” and viewers should take them as a “reflection, not validation, of life in those times”. Very curious to see how the ballet has been tweaked! Will report later. 

4 minutes ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Am at tonight’s Corsaire and ABT has inserted a note into the program stating that they recognize the Ballet depicts “challenging subject matter” and “disturbing social norms of bygone eras”. They say they’ve adjusted certain scenes “in tone and character out of respect for those whose lives were marginalized” but “there may still be images some find offensive” and viewers should take them as a “reflection, not validation, of life in those times”. Very curious to see how the ballet has been tweaked! Will report later. 

Oh, interesting — I was just thinking about this when describing the ballet to a somewhat-newbie who's going later this week.

I eagerly await your report!

14 minutes ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Wow, how interesting. Yes, please report back afterwards. I will not be going till the weekend.

16 minutes ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

Am at tonight’s Corsaire and ABT has inserted a note into the program...

Just curious: was the "inserted note" literally an inserted slip? (That would indicate that these were rather late changes.) Or was it printed in the program itself?

33 minutes ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

I noted a couple of years ago that Pennsylvania Ballet changed Aili to a "servant" rather than a "slave." At a pre-performance Q&A with Corella and one of the administrators, the latter said it was his idea. In ABT's program, is Aili still listed as a "slave"?

39 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Just curious: was the "inserted note" literally an inserted slip? (That would indicate that these were rather late changes.) Or was it printed in the program itself?

It’s printed in the program. @California Ali is still listed as “the slave”. 

The main change I noticed in Act I is that there is no longer that part where the “bazaar women” (did they used to be called slaves in the program? Can’t remember) are being flogged. Instead, they bouree together as a little cluster, hemmed in by a group of Lankendem’s lackeys. I -think- they may have had new, less revealing costumes but I could be wrong. Curious if anyone else who is here noticed anything! 

Also, I recall hazily that at the end of “Old act I” the pirates seem to be literally carrying off the enslaved women from the bazaar and the women don’t seem to be going happily. This time they aren’t being lifted and carried away, it looks more like the pirates are liberating them from the Bazaar and they’re cooperating. 

Edited by MarzipanShepherdess
Adding detail

I’ll need to read the statement in full, but I hope “those times” refers to 19th-century Europe, not whatever era is supposedly depicted in the ballet. An Orientalist ballet is more a reflection of European values and fantasies, not those of the actual Middle East. I really hope the statement makes that distinction.

The portly, bumbling Sultan figure (or whatever he is supposed to be) is probably one of the most racist caricatures you can find on the ballet stage. I’m curious to see whether they alter anything relating to him; the part where he and others kneel in prayer feels particularly cringe-worthy.

Edited by fondoffouettes