This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Robert Cohan is knighted

The birthday honours were published today with the usual list of 'celebrities' I've never heard of, but in the midst of athletes and rappers, two very deserving names stood out.  Firstly Robert Cohan who has received a CBE knighthood, such a great pioneer of modern dance in Britain, he is now 94.  Congratulations to him.  The second honour to catch my eye was a knighthood for Simon Russell Beale, always my favourite of the younger generation of actors, richly deserved.  Off topic,  if you get a chance to see the wonderful series he made on sacred music, I strongly recommend it.  The ballet fans were hoping for a knighthood for David Bintley who is about to stand down from Birmingham Royal Ballet.  Sadly nothing.

Thanks for posting, Mashinka. Congratulations to Cohan, although I wish they hadn't waited quite so long. A nice profile from January:

Cohan joined the Graham company and they toured to London, where Robin Howard, a passionate art lover and well-connected businessman (the grandson of prime minister Stanley Baldwin) fell in love with Graham’s work and had a vision to create a modern dance school and company in Britain, asking Cohan to help make it happen.