miliosr

Ballet Review to Suspend Publication

Posted (edited)

Thanks, @miliosr. That's really disappointing. It looks like the notice is dated May 10, but I never received anything.

Edited by nanushka

Very dismaying news....

Very sad to see another venerable publication go under. Crowdfunding would also help with finances, but finding a younger staff, willing to work for little or nothing, is obviously not easy. It's all about finding the right individuals (essentially writers that have another sufficient source of income).

Posted (edited)

So sad. The spring/summer 2019 (next-to-last?) issue includes a wonderful article on Ratmansky's research on Harlequinade.

Edited by Roberta
removed question about day jobs of dance writers; can begin thread for that later

On 5/28/2019 at 6:04 PM, nanushka said:

Thanks, @miliosr. That's really disappointing. It looks like the notice is dated May 10, but I never received anything.

I saw a notice to writers earlier this spring, but didn't want to say anything until they made a general announcement.  I was worried when they said they were cutting back to two issues/year, but didn't think they would go dark entirely quite this quickly.  They've been a home for some of the best English-language writing about dance since they first launched -- I will miss their contribution to the field.

This is a crushing loss for dance fans. There's nothing on the internet that replaces BR. The announcement holds out some hope that the hiatus will not be permanent, so I will cling to that, for now.....

My double issue came in the mail today -- this is just so sad.

My heart sank too when my issue arrived yesterday and I read the news. So sad. Such good, in-depth writing about dance, and ballet in particular, is hard to find. In fact, I can't think of anything to replace Ballet Review at present.  Is it because a certain generation of dance lovers is aging, and the younger generations coming up don't have as much interest in reading print publications with depth analysis of classical art forms? Nor as much interest in volunteering time to such a publication? I hope very much that I'm wrong.

As I understand it, this is a sad combination of timing and money.  The current editorial team has been working on this project for a number of years, and though the quality of the writing has remained high, they have not been able to increase the subscriber base in such a way to cover the costs of production.  Fixed costs like printing and mailing have gone up, and although they still pay writers, all the other tasks that are required to put out a print publication are done by volunteers. 

While they have officially put the publication "on hiatus," I do not know what it might take to bring it back.