This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Benjamin Millepied to direct modern Carmen adaptation

13 hours ago, Deflope said:

It sounds like it’s a straight drama rather than a musical, a la Carmen Jones or the hip hop version with  Beyoncé).

Actually, this is the final paragraph of the article:

“For many years, I have been passionate about creating a film musical, and ‘Carmen’ presents an incredibly exciting opportunity for exploring dance and music onscreen,” Millepied said.

It's not 100% clear from that and the rest of the article that the characters themselves are going to do the singing, but that's what "film musical" suggests to me. It's possible the singing and dancing could be a naturalistic part of the dramatic action, though (e.g. if Carmen the character were a professional singer/dancer).

The article also notes that Melissa Barrera (Carmen) is currently starring in a film adaptation of the musical In the Heights.

Edited by nanushka
22 hours ago, Deflope said:

It sounds like it’s a straight drama rather than a musical, a la Carmen Jones or the hip hop version with  Beyoncé). 

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/jamie-dornan-melissa-barrera-carmen-sony-pictures-classics-1203215452/#article-comments

Im guessing Jamie Dornan is the Don Jose character. 

Thanks for posting this news, Deflope. The picture could combine musical elements and drama (the article notes that new songs are being composed for the movie) without being a full-fledged musical - or it could be. I'm sure more details will be forthcoming. I think you are right about Dornan - the only other character he could play is Escamillo and somehow he doesn't seem the type. :) I'm not sure that I've actually seen Dornan in anything - does anyone know what he was like in the Fifty Shades series?