This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Jewels | Dorothy Chandler, LA, Oct 24 - 27

Single tickets go on sale on August 5, in case anyone is interested.  No casting has been posted yet.

I've never been to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion--do any LA natives have advice on where to sit?  

I usually like to sit fairly close to the stage in the orchestra, but if there isn't much of an incline, or if the seats are not staggered, I probably will sit elsewhere... Thanks in advance!

Hello @Batsuchan  Yes indeed!  I just saw the Royal Ballet and we were in Orchestra seats H41 and H40 and they were fantastic.  I imagine that any seat closer toward the center in the orchestra are great.  I probably would aim for rows C-L or so.  However my seats were off to the left quite a bit and I still had amazing visibility.

Edited by ECat
Added more info
2 hours ago, ksk04 said:

Casting's up: https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/events-by-the-music-center/Glorya-Kaufman-Dance/Subscriptions/subscribe/mariinsky-ballet/

I'd copy and paste but it's all images--sorry. Anyone have thoughts? Is there someone that is particularly stand out in one of these roles? Weighing the options with SCFTA La Bayadere the week before.

For my taste, each cast has pluses and ...not minuses...but, I would say, question marks. And of course even the best Mariinsky casts don't exactly dance Balanchine idiomatically (a word I'm borrowing from @Helene ).  There is also the problem that the company has a habit of shifting casts around on tour.

But if I had to pick one cast based on what has been announced I would definitely go with the opening night/Sat night cast with Kondaurova in Diamonds, Batoeva and Bulanova in Rubies and Shirinkina in Emeralds. I personally would also be pleased to see the other cast which has a number of terrific dancers and several very promising ones. But in that cast both Emeralds and Diamonds are led by very young dancers still "underway" as artists so to speak. At the same time, if you are a fan who likes to see the newcomers, then in the opening night cast you still get to see one of the youngest dancers the company has been casting in featured roles and arguably the most glamorous of them, Bulanova. And with the "opening" cast you are also seeing an experienced major ballerina in Kondaurova.

All that said, there is video of many of these dancers in Jewels on youtube --while video doesn't do anyone justice and in the case of the youngest dancers what is recorded is often a debut performance--still the video gives you a flavor, so you can judge based on your own tastes. 

Edited by Drew
missing comma

I wonder why they left out the other principals in Emeralds, especially the second female lead who dances the beautiful solo and walking pas de deux - two of the most meaningful (to me) moments of Jewels. Kondaurova should be lustrous in Diamonds and I am happy to watch Batoeva in Rubies and anything she dances. She was my favorite Cinderella (Ratmansky) the last time the Mariinsky was in L.A., which she danced with the handsome and charismatic Shklyarkov in an altogether memorable, electric performance from everyone on stage. 

1 hour ago, Josette said:

I wonder why they left out the other principals in Emeralds, especially the second female lead who dances the beautiful solo and walking pas de deux - two of the most meaningful (to me) moments of Jewels. Kondaurova should be lustrous in Diamonds and I am happy to watch Batoeva in Rubies and anything she dances. She was my favorite Cinderella (Ratmansky) the last time the Mariinsky was in L.A., which she danced with the handsome and charismatic Shklyarkov in an altogether memorable, electric performance from everyone on stage. 

I wonder if Illiushkina will be dancing the other ballerina role in one of the Emeralds casts .... she has danced the role and she is cast in the D.C. Paquita. (I am hoping I get to see her in D.C.)

On 9/12/2019 at 11:21 PM, Drew said:

I wonder if Illiushkina will be dancing the other ballerina role in one of the Emeralds casts .... she has danced the role and she is cast in the D.C. Paquita. (I am hoping I get to see her in D.C.)

Drew, there's comment on the russian internet that Maria Iliushkina has had some sort of Odette (and Odile?) debut (full performance or gala segment) in St. Petersburg but not at the Mariinsky. She's certainly still with the Mariinsky as far as I know. My russian isn't good enough to pin down an exact source or find a video, but I'll post information if I find it. Apparently the instagram site of Mariinsky dancer  Victor Caixeta has specific detail but I can't find it yet.

https://www.instagram.com/victorcaixeta10/