This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Segerstrom Center International Dance Series 2019-20

I can't find this yet on the Segerstrom web site, but it just appeared on the OC Register:

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/04/20/segerstrom-center-announces-2019-20-international-dance-series/

“La Bayadère”: Mariinsky Ballet and Orchestra under Artistic Director Valery Gergiev will perform Marius Petipa’s iconic ballet with revised choreography by Vladimir Ponomarev and Vahtang Chabukiani with dances by Konstantin Sergeyev and Nikolai Zubkovsky. The Mariinsky Orchestra will perform the music, composed by Ludwig Minkus. Oct. 16-20.

Alexei Ratmansky world premiere: American Ballet Theatre will debut choreographer Ratmansky’s as yet untitled work, based on the ancient Greek novel “Callirhoe.” The Pacific Symphony will play the score, written by Aram Khachaturian and arranged by Philip Feeney. March 5-8.

“Onegin”: John Cranko’s three-act ballet, based on the novel by Alexsandr Puškin, will be staged by Teatro Alla Scala Ballet Company under Ballet Director Frédéric Olivieri. The score by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky, arranged and orchestrated by Kurt-Heinz Stolze, will be performed by the Mikhailovsky Orchestra. July 31-Aug. 2, 2020.

Plus ABT's Nutcracker December 13-22

Wow what pot of gold did we luck out on?! Onegin, La Bayadere, Ratmansky... I hope La Bayadere doesn't get switched to Don Quixote like when we were last promised it by the Bolshoi.  It does seem a bit sparse if these are the only performances, but I guess better than being stuffed with Eifman and the like. I would have thought we were due for a visit from Alvin Ailey following the every other year formula.

I do wonder why they can never email their actual subscribers about these announcements?

That schedule does seem tight if he has a 7/31 show; thanks for that info, Dreamer. But, Bolle certainly came last time with Giselle; I hope that if they insist on a female guest artist, it's only Marianela Nunez not Misty Copeland, this time. I am thinking back to thisrevealing article from the programming director at SCFTA wherein she implied that Bolle/Copeland coupling were important in "selling" the La Scala Giselle and she did offer casting suggestions to the La Scala people. I imagine Onegin also needs "selling" as it's certainly less well-known among the general population.

"If I am intent upon making sure that there would be what I would call success at the box office, I talk about casting," Morr said. "I would rarely interfere with an artistic desire on behalf of the company, but I think companies are already concerned about how they appear and what the thoughts are of the people they work with. I can't imagine that there isn't a presenter of dance that doesn't think about how it will shake out and who will dance the first night, the second night."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-ca-cm-la-scala-ballet-misty-copeland-20170714-story.html

It will be illuminating to see how the Dorothy Chandler Pavillion's season looks; if it's similarly sparse, there may be some larger issue affecting touring? (wonder when this will be announced?)

Anyway, I bought two extra subscriptions in addition to my regular season seats, since I would go to see all these ballets more than once anyway and it's more economical as a package. Wanted to vote with my wallet upfront to express approval for such strange, yet pleasing, events!!

I plan on adding the Sunday matinee and Saturday evening series to my Friday evening series, as well as two Thursday nights.  I hope there is no overlapping of dates with whatever is programmed in the L.A. Music Center Dance Series. 

ABT was not at the Music Center this season, so I would expect them in 2020, as well as Miami City with The Nutcracker in early December. 

Josette, did you see that new subscriptions are select your own seats immediately? I thought that was nice instead of waiting months to see whatever random lottery you got. Maybe this isn't news, but I am always renewing instead of buying new. It does seem like a disadvantage to renewing subscribers though who want to upgrade or change seats; it would be nice to offer a bit of a delayed start for new subscriptions.

No, I did not.  I received an email and tried to access to renew and subscribe online, but it would not go through.  After calling the box office, I decided to wait for the packet via regular mail so I could digest everything.   Do you mean you could choose your particular seat or section?  I'm always trying to get as close to the stage as possible in O.C.

I used the link here (https://www.scfta.org/Subscriptions/Packages.aspx?seasonID=671) and was able to select the exact seats I wanted from the available selection for the two new packages I bought; I also renewed separately by using the emailed link, but I didn't change seats for that package.

I did have a conflict or problem when I had two tabs open earlier, one logged in and one not yet logged in, and that seemed to create a problem when I was trying to check out. I had to close out the browser and start over again.

I called the ticket office and they told me that the only way to get individual tickets is to wait until they're announced about a month before the performance. Since I'm only interested in La Bayadere for the moment I asked if there was any other way to get seats now or before the public availability date besides the subscription, such as becoming a member of something. She said that there wasn't. Does anyone know of another way?

Probably as no surprise because this was all just announced, there are plenty of seats available, at least for the 16th.

Edited by Buddy

I received my renewal via mail and it claims that Bolle and Nunez "will perform on July 31, Aug 1, and Aug 2 eves. Aug 1 matinee cast is to be announced." Direct quote. I have to assume the Aug 2 evening is a typo as there is no Sunday evening show that I can see?

2 hours ago, ksk04 said:

I received my renewal via mail and it claims that Bolle and Nunez "will perform on July 31, Aug 1, and Aug 2 eves. Aug 1 matinee cast is to be announced." Direct quote. I have to assume the Aug 2 evening is a typo as there is no Sunday evening show that I can see?

It looks like Bolle will be in Tokyo in 2019, but I can't find a 2020 commitment, at least on his web site. So perhaps this is really possible? If so - wow - worth a trip to see this engagement!

http://www.robertobolle.com/news/tokyo-2019-ferri-bolle-and-friends/

David Hallberg and other notables have done guest performances at La Scala, if Bolle really isn't available.

13 hours ago, AB'sMom said:

I don’t know of any other way to get individual tickets earlier, but I’ve never had a problem getting good seats when the general sale opens. 

Thank you, AB'sMom.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:05 AM, Josette said:

Bolle and Nunez are dancing in Onegin on July 31, Aug. 1 evening,  and Aug 2, according to the subscription package received in my mail.  Pretty exciting. 

And if you are a fan of Nunez, she'll be doing Giselle with Hallberg the previous weekend at the LA Music Center:

https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/events-by-the-music-center/Glorya-Kaufman-Dance/Subscriptions/subscribe/teatro-alla-scala/

On 4/22/2019 at 5:50 PM, Josette said:

ABT was not at the Music Center this season, so I would expect them in 2020, as well as Miami City with The Nutcracker in early December. 

No ABT at the Music Center in 2019-20 -- just Mariinsky and La Scala

https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/events-by-the-music-center/Glorya-Kaufman-Dance/

2 hours ago, California said:

And if you are a fan of Nunez, she'll be doing Giselle with Hallberg the previous weekend at the LA Music Center:

https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/events-by-the-music-center/Glorya-Kaufman-Dance/Subscriptions/subscribe/teatro-alla-scala/

No ABT at the Music Center in 2019-20 -- just Mariinsky and La Scala

https://www.musiccenter.org/tickets/events-by-the-music-center/Glorya-Kaufman-Dance/

Double dose in Southern California of Mariinsky and La Scala with Nunez. I've not been a fan of the Mariinsky or in the Bolshoi in Jewels in the past, and will try to keep an open mind.  San Francisco Ballet is dancing Jewels in spring of 2020.  It'll be interesting to see the Wuppertal Pina Bausch Tanztheater again.   Thanks, California.  I'm a subscriber and did not see an email.